5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:30 PM

I bet that title shocked you! :blink:

I feel like I'm nearly always making annoucements like this, but basically due to the increased use of this site (and the growth of the other sites that I now run) I'm upgrading my webhosting even further.

All my sites are now going to be hosted on one unique dedicated server - just for us! This means a massive increase in bandwidth. Bandwidth is the data transfer, and the issue that I keep encountering. This move is an effort to beat the issue once and for all - the unique dedicated server offers a massive five times the amount of bandwidth, equating to an allowance of 1000GB a month.

I'm making this move to ensure I can rely on one stable system to allow my sites to grow and develop. The http://www.reviseict.co.uk site is one that has seen a massive leap in the past month and I hope it will continue.

It would also be wrong of me not to mention I was not offered a good deal from UnitedHosting.co.uk - but honestly this has come as a result of referring other customers to them, not the the other way round! :) I'd recommend them anyway, but giving good deals to me certainly does nothing to put me off.

Anyway, the forum will have to be closed while the current site is copied and transferred across its new location. I will keep you all updated - the forum would have to be closed for about 24 - 48 hours, but it will be done as quickly as possible.

Apologies for any trouble this causes - but in some ways this move is again due to you lot ensuring this forum is a popular and vibrant place! Keep it up! :flowers: :lol:

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

The new server is being setup and prepared. I expect the closure to be sometime this week, for around 24 hours.

What will happen is that this forum will be backed up and then closed. It will be closed so no posts are lost and essentially so the forum database doesn't get corrupted.

My sites will then changed over to the new server and will be recognised by the internet within about 24 hours. Apart from the forums, the transfer of the sites will be completely transparent, and there should be no downtime at all.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:51 AM

The proposed move will be taking place later this weekend or early next week. The new server has now been fully installed and I am now setting it up for use with the site.

I will keep you updated as I know a more specific time.

#4 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

This forum will close today at 10:15am. The transfer to the new server will then take place.

:warning: :warning: :warning:

It takes the internet 24 hours to pickup the new server, so I expect the forum to be open again by this time tomorrow. However, please be prepared for potential issues.

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:52 AM

Welcome to the new server. It looks like everything has gone to plan so I'm delighted to open this forum up again!

:D :D :teacher: :woo:

Feel free to post your withdrawl symptoms here. :lol:

There may be minor issues that you encounter - please let me know and then they can be fixed!

#6 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

Hurrah! I can get back in.. I got all sorts of horrid messages saying my account had been disabled and i was a leper etc . etc. It seems the forum has been busy while I've been unable to read (AND it was half term so i would actually have had time to read them all..!!).. bummer..

Glad you are back anyway! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users