• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:21 PM

I'm finally about to release a Multiple Choice Quiz generator. This is going to be entirely free of charge for any educator who makes their pages freely available. The program will allow you or your students to generate your own customised Multiple Choice quizzes.

Obviously, it is designed to illustrate the quality of my ContentGenerator.net programs, but it is primarily a really useful quiz generation tool.

I could have very easily just produced a quiz based on my existing games and exercises but when I tried this I felt I was missing an opportunity. Instead I've redeveloped my 'quiz engine' to make it more useful.

Have a try with the first version:
http://www.schoolhis...stles/quiz.html

Posted Image

The major advance is that you don't have to provide four possible answers for each question - only two are needed - meaning you can have 'true / false' questions or fewer answers should you wish.

You can enter any number of questions, so you could create a 5 question quiz as a quick starter activity. There are also some additional sound effects and a new 'look' to the quiz. You can also set an optional 'time' per question - providing a countdown challenge.

I've also setup the ability to include some 'quiz text' that the user can read before trying to complete the quiz. This 'quiz text' is entirely optional - with or without it the quiz fits very smoothly into existing pages.

The finished generator will allow you to select any colours to customise the look, replace the existing sound effects with your own and, as above, enter any number of questions.

Please let me know your thoughts and I'll do what I can to adapt the activity accordingly. :) :yes:

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

Love the noises!

And having a time limit on the questions makes it more exciting too.

As ever - well done Andrew!

Rachel. :)
Que sera, sera

#3 JulieN

JulieN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:51 PM

Love the noises! 

And having a time limit on the questions makes it more exciting too.

As ever - well done Andrew! 

Rachel. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I'd definitely agree - got the pulse going! really good resource.

Julie

#4 AdamCrawte

AdamCrawte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:55 AM

Yes just remember to turn the sound down when sat in a crowded office, oh and read the text before answering because it kind of gives it away when you get one wrong!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

:lol: :lol: Jolly good - it appears that the sounds are working.

I'll soon be able to release the program that allows anyone to create their own.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#6 Saints

Saints

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:16 PM

Yet again an excellent resource Andrew - Well done!

#7 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:14 PM

This is an example of the other type of quiz that the mult-choice quiz generator will produce - this time without any 'reading text'. This has been designed to slot into existing pages without taking up much room.

As you can see, colours can be customised too. :ermm:

http://www.schoolhis...s/quiz_mini.htm

#8 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 956 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

Love the software - started getting my Yr 10's to come up with questions for each other as a revision activity.

One question - any plans to make this cross platform? The .exe files only work on a PC which puts us mac users at a big of a disadvantage :crazy:

Or should I just shoosh and put up with having to do them at school?!?!? :blink:

Dave

#9 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:48 AM

Tried it. Loved it. When?
Mike Tribe

#10 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:20 PM

One question - any plans to make this cross platform? The .exe files only work on a PC which puts us mac users at a big of a disadvantage  :crazy:

Or should I just shoosh and put up with having to do them at school?!?!? :blink:
Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid the clever software makes use of a .dll file that is unique to Windows. This enables the end user (i.e. you) to generate Flash (.swf) files needed for the quizzes and games.

At this stage, I am certain that the technique cannot be 'ported' to Macs. However, I will explore to see what is possible.

Note that it is just the generator program itself that has to be run on a PC. The Flash files work on any operating system that has Flash installed - so even a mobile phone :)

I will endeavour to have a release available this weekend.

#11 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

It took much longer than I'd expected, largely because I re-wrote how the whole thing worked, but you can now download the beta version of my free Multiple-Choice generator programs.

You'll have to register on my ContentGenerator.net forum, but once you've done that, you download it instantly.

I'll update this topic more when I have time, but basically it is a really simple to use quiz maker. It isn't quite finished yet, but will be very soon.

Posted Image

Direct link:
http://www.contentge...hp?showtopic=99

#12 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

I've now updated the program even more - it is a fully usable and stable release now. I'm continuing to add features, but do please try it out and let me know how you get on.

You can enter any number of questions, between two and four potential answers, customise the colours, set a time limit, select how you want questions to be displayed and attach accompanying text to go with your quiz.

The future updates will enable the creation of the mini-quizzes (without the attached text) and develop the ability to customise the quizzes further.

#13 JulieN

JulieN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:28 PM

A great resource. About to try it with my (Year 2) son who's 'doing' castles at the moment at school! (off to Caerphilly tomorrow!)

JulieN

Edited by JulieN, 02 June 2005 - 04:29 PM.

#14 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Excellent :)

This quiz maker will be an easy installation across an entire Windows network - so students could be given a 10 minute ICT-based task such as 'create a 5 question quiz' about the current topic. There are lots of uses.

Doug has very helpfully given me a few suggestions too - including the very sensible idea to make the 'timestamp' feature an optional extra. At the moment the quiz shows very clearly when you made it - might not always be ideal to show students their quiz was created at 1:30am.

The version I'm currently working on allows you to include internet links within the supporting text, meaning you could make a simple web-quest quiz extremely easily. I'll post an example here soon.

So please do let me have suggestions and ideas as I'll do my best to include them. If not in this free quiz, certainly within the more extensive pay-for generator programs.

#15 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

I have just uploaded the latest version of the free Multiple-Choice quiz generator. Lots of extra features to try out :) :geek:

You can download it directly from my ContentGenerator.net forums - you do have to be a member to download, but that is the only catch.

This latest version, very near to the first full release, offers the ability to create hyperlinks within the quiz, meaning it can even be used to create a mini-webquest.

Try out a tricky example of a quiz that the latest version produces:
http://www.contentge...tware_quiz.html

Visit the ContentGenerator.net forum for more....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users