2 replies to this topic

#1 MrsB

MrsB

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

The Heinemann Think History! textbook often refers to the "5 W" strategy (who, when, where, what and why) to analyse pictures and this is supported with an inference square. If I'm honest I don't really understand this technique and wondered if anyone else had any other experience to offer.
It's only a job!

#2 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

The Heinemann Think History! textbook often refers to the "5 W" strategy (who, when, where, what and why) to analyse pictures and this is supported with an inference square.  If I'm honest I don't really understand this technique and wondered if anyone else had any other experience to offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think an 'inference square' is one of those sheets of paper with a series of boxes around the source picture. Next to each box is a question. The further away from the source the box is, the more inference is needed.

The 5 W's should be pretty straightforward - just applying who? when? why? where? what? to any given picture. It's a start!

Doug :hehe:

#3 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

Doug is right about the inference square - start in the middle with say what you see...; then what other objects etc. are in the picture; when was it taken; why; what is the message/ can we guess from the picture..

I think you can be fairly flexible about adapting the questions to suit the task/ability group. Personally I've tried these square things and don't find them that helpful - the students often don't see the links between the layers and can't understand why they are writing in squares.. but it is better than just dull comprehension I suppose..

Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users