• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

It does need a bit of work to make sure it works well. There hasn't been any restrictions before so as Carole suggests something isn't quite right there. I've just had a quick check and all members do have the right to add topics to the calendar. There is also the issue about displaying a link to the calendar too.

Although Carole is wrong about only me having the rights to do it. More correctly I'm the only one who fiddles around with the inner workings of the forum. At least this way it is my fault if it does wrong.

I have now found the solution. The forum now has a much more developed calendar, which had auto-moderation set up. I've now removed all that. I've also enabled the RSS calendar feed, which should make the work being done here all the more useful.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#32 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

I have now found the solution. The forum now has a much more developed calendar, which had auto-moderation set up. I've now removed all that. I've also enabled the RSS calendar feed, which should make the work being done here all the more useful.

Marvellous! Thanks Andrew... :teacher:

Doug :hehe:

#33 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

Also - to those who ask about Live Chat - it will still be available, but the developer is working on the integration with the new version. In some ways it has been pleasing to see the demand for both the Calendar and the Live Chat.

Good work folks! :clapping:

Edit: Just to add - I've now added a temporary link to the Live Chat. You have to enter your user details again, but it at least shows it is still active :)

It will integrate into the forum much more smoothly when the developer updates the Live Chat features.

Edited by Andrew Field, 20 September 2005 - 09:14 PM.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#34 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

I have to say I love the new 'quick edit' feature. The number of times my posts end up saying 'edited:...' on them just because 10 seconds after I post I've noticed a grammatical error, is unbelievable! Now I can just quickly edit what I've written instead of doing a full edit which results in me looking less like a right spoon! :blink:

PS I even had to edit this post!

Edited by DAJ Belshaw, 21 September 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#35 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that since the upgrade the date and time of their last visit to the Forum seems 'frozen'? Mine always reads Sept 23rd which I think is shortly after the upgrade took place.

Any news from the developers on Live Chat?

#36 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that since the upgrade the date and time of their last visit to the Forum seems 'frozen'? Mine always reads Sept 23rd which I think is shortly after the upgrade took place.

Any news from the developers on Live Chat?

The frozen time is not an issue for me - could you empty your internet cache and all things like that?

I've been having an argument with Invision about the Live Chat - I keep asking, as do lots of others, and we're told it should be ready in 'a number of days'. This has recently changed to 'soon'.

There is also the issue with the calendar RSS feature - which they are also dealing with. Once this is fixed all the work on the calendar will be much more usable as it can be exported to other webpages too.

I've just had a message from the developer of the forum which states

Hello there,

This is resolved in IPB 2.1.2 which is due for release early next week.

--
Matt Mecham
C.S.A Invision Power Services, Inc.

#37 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:51 PM

The frozen time is not an issue for me - could you empty your internet cache and all things like that?

'Twas the first thing I did after I noticed the 'freeze' >>>> made no difference. Have just cleared cache and rebooted >>>>> still frozen. The really odd thing is that 'History Help' reads properly.

Not really important but I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing

Fingers crossed for an early resolution to Live Chat and Calendar RSS feed.

#38 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

The Live Chat thing seems to be being fixed at the moment too - there is a new link http://www.schoolhis...tocom=chatsigma - but just no 'who's chatting' or any other links yet. Progress though.

As for the frozen time, try logging out and then logging in again.

#39 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

As for the frozen time, try logging out and then logging in again.

Sorted. Thanks. :flowers: [though i could swear I had done this before to no avail]

#40 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

I have now added the 'similar threads' feature back on - the author of this modification has updated it.

Let me know how you get on - it seems to be working ok. :whistle: :ermm:

#41 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

Let me know how you get on - it seems to be working ok. :whistle: :ermm:

I'm not sure that this is working as well as it used to (ie before the upgrade). At times it seems to be throwing up some very odd 'Similar Threads' where I struggle to understand what the relationship might be and to miss relevant stuff that I know is there.

On other occasions it seems to be working well - as, for example, with this thread.

#42 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

Yes - it isn't working too well - quite a few random links :(

Anyway, I've requested Invsion upgrade us to the next release which is meant to be more stable, and then I'll get back in touch with the similar threads author. I'm sure he'll be able to fix it up. The forum upgrade will fix the issues with the calendar, RSS feeds and other small bits and pieces.

I hope then we'll be able to make use of RSS to share out all this calendar data people have been working so hard to put together.

#43 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

Over the last few weeks there have periods of days at a time (like the last couple of days) where I have found it impossible to access the Forum. This didn't happen before! :(

#44 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

Over the last few weeks there have periods of days at a time (like the last couple of days) where I have found it impossible to access the Forum. This didn't happen before! :(

I've had one other person mention this to me too - not the forum though, the main site.

What have you found - has it just been a dead page, or has it been a forum error message? Is this both at home and at school?

#45 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

I've had one other person mention this to me too - not the forum though, the main site.

What have you found - has it just been a dead page, or has it been a forum error message? Is this both at home and at school?

Yes, at both home and at school - others in my department have had the same problem. Just times out or Firefox says it cannot find the server!

PS Actually, come to think of it, it's been sporadic since you had the dedicated server, not since the forum upgrades... :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users