• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

PS Actually, come to think of it, it's been sporadic since you had the dedicated server, not since the forum upgrades... :unsure:

Ok - well the server has been up for 99.996% of the time for the last nine months. http://www.schoolhis...verstatus.shtml
I also had a half-dedicated server for the year or so before that. I will explore this further.

Can you PM me your IP address and any other details such as your ISP. I'll then get my support people onto it. :)

I was just editing this when Invision actually upgraded the server. I'll fix up the header and other bits and pieces later on this evening.

Edited by Andrew Field, 14 October 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#47 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

The Live Chat thing seems to be being fixed at the moment too - there is a new link http://www.schoolhis...tocom=chatsigma - but just no 'who's chatting' or any other links yet. Progress though.

Seems to open in the same window too so you can't keep browsing the forum and have chat on at the same time. Well, you can (obviously), but you know what I mean.

R.
Que sera, sera

#48 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

I've asked Invision to fix up the Live Chat further - I cannot find the option to make it open in a small window (as it used to). That is why the top of the forum looks rather odd - it is being fixed.

As for Doug's (and others's) issues with accessing the site, I've had a really interesting response from my hosts:

Potential issue

The firewall we use is active in blocking out what it thinks are attacks on servers (excessive connections, incorrect logins and such).

Your server had a pretty big list of IP bans, so I have cleared those out for you now.

Can you ask somebody who was previously having problems to try your site again? If they can now see it then we will reduce the sensitivity of your firewall and this should solve the issue.

If they still cannot see the site, then its a more serious issue probably related to routing between them and the server (but unlikely due to multiple people experiencing issues connecting to your site).
Regards,
UH Support

This sounds very plausible - so if you have had problems accessing the site, please let me know. If you can read this that it! ;)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#49 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:18 PM

Right - the update is nearly now all there. The Live Chat feature is back properly - and the 'Who's chatting' feature is finally properly visable at the bottom. It doesn't open in a new pop-up window yet though - this still needs to be fixed.

The RSS feed is also working for the main forum - press RSS Feed if you understand about it. If not, I have plans to put together some helpful code that will make it happen automatically. This will display links to the latest posts on the homepage of SchoolHistory.co.uk

The only thing I cannot get working at the moment is the RSS feed for the calendar, but that is the most significant thing at the moment following all the hard work to keep the calendar up to date. I'll report this as a support issue and get Invision to sort it out too. I think this is probably more due to my own mistakes with settings.

Anyway - progress being made ;)

#50 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

Hurrah - calendar feed is now working! For those that wish to fiddle, feel free. The RSS feed allows you to get updates from the calendar (and the main forum should you wish). Find out more about RSS at:
http://news.bbc.co.u...rss/default.stm
http://www.xml.com/p...e-into-xml.html

When I have time, I'll put together some form of feed that people can put on their own websites. So much effort has been put into the calendar that it will be good to share it much more widely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users