• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

Within the next day or so, this forum will be upgraded and updated to the next version. Apologies in advance for any downtime or confusion while the system is updated.

The new version is packed with new features that should make the forum even better than before :) If this sort of thing interests you, have a look here:
http://www.invisionp...ewfeatures.html

Some custom modifications - such as the 'similar topics' feature - will cease to work for a short while, but will be put back into working order as soon as possible.

Edit: I've disabled the portal for now too, hence why you arrive directly here, rather than via the portal.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

As you may have spotted, the forum has now been updated to the next version of the software.

It will take quite a while to add in all our custom features again, but please bear with us while we do that.

If you've got any comments or suggestions - please make them here.

What I would suggest doing is exploring the 'My Assistant' and perhaps experiment with the new PM system. Lots more soon!

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

Is the time on the Forum currently right? I think it's reading an hour early.

Edit: Yes. It is an hour early.

Edited by Carole Faithorn, 18 September 2005 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

Time should be ok now. I was fiddling around with it with all the new options. I've changed the setting within the forum settings, but if anyone's appears a little odd do experiment with your 'My Settings' section.

Or send a PM using the new system ;)

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

The new features of the forum include:
  • Rich Text (WYSIWYG) Editor
    Allow your members to easily format their posts, signatures and personal messages.
  • Member Name Suggest
    An IPS innovation: When composing a new PM or pruning a forum, enter part of a member's name and IPB will bring up a list of suggested matches, instantly!
  • MyAssistant Re-Designed
    An IPS innovation: A combined floating palette comprising of instant notification of new PMs with the ability to cycle through recent PMs. Instant "new posts" listing, and quick search - all used without a single page refresh!
  • RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Export
    Allow others to syndicate your content by setting up exclusive RSS export streams from forums of your choice. [In English this means you can include the 'latest posts' of the forum on your own website]
  • Multiple Question Polls
    Create new polls in our easy to use interface. Set different questions for multiple question polls.
  • Member's Display Name
    Optionally allow your members to choose their own display name which is separate from their log-in username, and change it as often as you allow.
  • Components Framework
    Download pre-written components and install them with a few clicks. Create new functionality without needing to touch a line of IPB's code; future-proof your modifications!
  • Improved Forum and Topic Marking
    Forum are topic markers are now stored in the database. Our comprehensive system accurately tracks all your unread topics regardless of which computer you use to access your account.
  • Topic Rating
    Allow your members to rate each other's topics. This can be set per forum and per user-group.

#6 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

I've activated the 'Rating' system. Might be quite useful - you click on 'Rating' at the top, and then rate the topic as you see fit.

It doesn't make any difference really, but we would be able to add functions in the feature where highly rated topics appear in the search.

I've also now set the 'Rich Text Editor' as default for all members.

Press 'Reply' to a topic and you'll see the new version - unlike the previous versions of the forum, the formatting actually works now, so when you press bold you actually see bold, or when you select a colour, you actually see a colour.

It means you can lay your posts out a little more clearly that you could before.

:woo: The similies also show up in your post. :woo:

However, for some users, it might not be perfect. If this is the case, you can change your settings in 'My Controls'.

#7 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

Another feature I've also just discovered is that if you add an additional post shortly after one you've just made, the forum automatically merges them together.

I wasn't sure about this, but it actually makes really good sense. Means that when you post '... and another thing' it is added to the existing post.

#8 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:28 PM

I've activated the 'Rating' system. Might be quite useful - you click on 'Rating' at the top, and then rate the topic as you see fit.

It doesn't make any difference really, but we would be able to add functions in the feature where highly rated topics appear in the search.

That could be useful I guess. I have just rated this thread 5* (very useful to read), but then the thought occured ... can a rating be changed once given? If that is the case would it not have the potential to mess up the link between high rating and Search you mention? (Quite apart from being open to abuse)

#9 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

That could be useful I guess. I have just rated this thread 5* (very useful to read), but then the thought occured ... can a rating be changed once given? If that is the case would it not have the potential to mess up the link between high rating and Search you mention? (Quite apart from being open to abuse)

We can change the setting. I've currently put it so that a rating can be changed. I thought this was good as a rating could change as a thread progresses. Any search system would pick this up dynamically. Anything can be edited though, so we should just see how it goes.

#10 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:59 AM

It looks beautiful...

BTW, what happened to the TV schedule thingy there used to be somewhere? I found that really useful since I could get my brother-inlaw to video stuff and mail it to me if I had enough notice. Can't pick that stuff up here in Madrid!
Mike Tribe

#11 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

BTW, what happened to the TV schedule thingy there used to be somewhere? I found that really useful since I could get my brother-inlaw to video stuff and mail it to me if I had enough notice. Can't pick that stuff up here in Madrid!

The Calendar still exists (though doesn't show up unless it's someone's birthday and they have put that info in their Profile), but Lesley Ann and I stopped entering potentially useful TV programmes just before Christmas last year. It had become rather an onerous 'duty' and you are actually the first person to comment on the fact that it's disappeared.

We used to trawl the appropriate Channels for suitable programmes and then enter all the info. for our selections in the Calendar manually.

See:
Sky TV Guide

and also
Channel 4 - where the info provided is more useful and easier to 'get at'
BBC History TV and Radio Listings - as above

Any volunteers willing to take this one on board?

#12 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

Any volunteers willing to take this one on board?

Why don't we take it in turns in a rota? I'd certainly be willing to do it every month or every couple of months... :teacher:

Doug :hehe:

#13 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:41 PM

[
Why don't we take it in turns in a rota? I'd certainly be willing to do it every month or every couple of months... :teacher:

Great! Thanks for volunteering to organise this Doug. :teacher: :flowers:

All those prepared to do a stint, please let Doug know.

#14 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

Great! Thanks for volunteering to organise this Doug. :teacher: :flowers:

All those prepared to do a stint, please let Doug know.

Does that mean I get to be an Adminstrator? ;)

#15 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,945 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yep - you can be Chief Administrator of the Calendar :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users