• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

I would like to announce on behalf of the Schoolhistory TV Calendar team that the RSS feed for History teaching-related programmes is now working. Head over to the TV Calendar page and click on the orange RSS icon in the bottom left-hand corner to get started...

Firefox users should follow these steps:

1. Right-click on this link and select 'Copy link location'.
2. Go to Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks (near 'File' at the top of your screen)
3. Click on one of the sub-directories under 'Bookmarks Toolbar Folder' and then click the 'New Folder' icon at the top of the screen. Name the folder 'RSS Feeds'.
4. Go to File/New Live Bookmark. In 'Name' type 'Schoolhistory TV Calendar' and then right-click and select 'paste' in the 'Feed Location' box.
5. Close the bookmarks window. You should now have a 'RSS Feeds' folder somewhere below the place you type in Internet addresses. Click on it, hover over 'Schoolhistory TV Calendar' and you should see the next few forthcoming entries! :D

For visual learners there's a similar guide with pictures over at my website here. ;)

Many thanks to Andrew Field for getting the feed sorted out! :teacher:

Doug :hehe:

#2 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

....... and a big Thank You to Doug as well for not only suggesting that the TV Calendar be resurrected, but then agreeing with good humour to organise a team of people to vet the TV schedules in turn each week and enter relevant/interesting programmes.

I don't suppose Doug would refuse any further offers of help. :cool_xmas:

#3 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

I don't suppose Doug would refuse any further offers of help. :cool_xmas:

I certainly wouldn't - the more the merrier! (and the less work...)

Whilst we're on the subject of thank you's, a festive vote of appreciation goes to the following team members (take a bow!)

Johannes Ahrenfelt
Mike Tribe
Dan Lyndon
Karen Marshall

And of course the inimitable Carole. :teacher: One last thanks goes to Lesley Ann who often adds programme info off her own back - much appreciated! :biggrin_xmas:

#4 Chris Wilde

Chris Wilde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hey Doug & Team,
thanks for this! the feed is excellent! I've just followed your instructions and added this to my firefox browser. EXCELLENT!
However..............I have to admit it Doug, I'm still a bit of an IE heathen..........sorry :unsure: .......can i do something similar and get the feed through IE, or is this sort of thing only possible htrough firefox?
What you've done is great though!
Chris
PS Doug......when do you sleep, or is sleep for pussies? meow! :biggrin_xmas:
IPB Image

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

The feed has actually been working since October 25th - I've found it very useful so far. It just needed a few tweeks to get it working.

Chris the hard work is the inputting of the programme details that Doug and others have been doing. The feed is produced automatically via the forum. You just need any program or plugin that will display an RSS feed.

If you must use Internet Explorer (which there is absolutely no excuse to use by the way) you can use tools like: http://www.pluck.com/ or the hundreds of others out there. Firefox is so good that it doesn't need additional plugins to make RSS work.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#6 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hey Doug & Team,
thanks for this! the feed is excellent! I've just followed your instructions and added this to my firefox browser. EXCELLENT!
However..............I have to admit it Doug, I'm still a bit of an IE heathen..........sorry :unsure: .......can i do something similar and get the feed through IE, or is this sort of thing only possible htrough firefox?
What you've done is great though!
Chris

Thanks for the praise, Chris - although why you'd want to stay with IE goodness only knows! The IE team announced this week that they're adopting Firefox's RSS icon for integration with IE7 which should be released next year. It's a bit redundant though, I think! :lol:

PS Doug......when do you sleep, or is sleep for pussies? meow! :biggrin_xmas:

Let's not get into that... :huh:

#7 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

I've split the topic about the calendar and Firefox now.

Anything about the calendar should go here - the Firefox postings have been moved to http://www.schoolhis...?showtopic=6240

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#8 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

Owing to a glitch with the Forum software following a minor upgrade last week, the Calendar entries are not showing up properly in the list at the bottom of the Forum's home page although everything is visible in the main Calendar here. The problem currently being looked into.

Mikel has been very busy adding lots of programmes to the Calendar for the coming week (beginning today, Jan 8th). To see all of this week's entries go here:
http://www.schoolhis...week=1136678400

#9 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

You'll note that the calendar is now working correctly again - the makers of this software informed me that it was a known bug and they have now fixed it. Sorry for any trouble. We'll also make more of the link Carole mentions above - the one that offers a week-by-week overview. A link at the top of the forum might be useful? We can also make sure that the RSS feed is working as well as it can.

#10 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

.......We'll also make more of the link Carole mentions above - the one that offers a week-by-week overview. A link at the top of the forum might be useful? We can also make sure that the RSS feed is working as well as it can.

Great to see the Calendar display at the bottom of the main page is working properly again now. Thanks for following this up Andrew.

A link to a week's Calendar entries at the top could well be a good idea; it'd certainly be an aid to planning viewing/recording.

#11 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

Some feedback on what teachers want included would help, too. It takes quite a lot of time to do the weekly updates, and sometimes you're faced with seemingly unending repeats of the same programs -- the Fred Dibnah series, for example. I haven't taught in England for over 30 years, so I'm totally out of touch with what teachers over there need. Am I missing out things you'd find useful or including things which are useless?
Mike Tribe

#12 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

It's almost time to do the next rota for the TV Calendar and we need a couple more volunteers! So if you think you could find space on your CV to fit 'Official member of the Schoolhistory TV Calendar team', PM me or add your name here!

What's involved? All you have to do is spend about half an hour of your time every six weeks adding copying and pasting information from websites such as the Radio Times about History-related programmes. It's a great way to find interesting and useful stuff for your own teaching!

So come on people, if you've found this forum useful in the past, give something back! :teacher:

#13 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

Yes. We really do need a couple more people to help out, though Doug seems to be a much faster worker than me when it comes to copying and pasting. ;) A sign of my age no doubt!

#14 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

I've actually found it much more useful that I'd expected! So, as long as someone can point me in the direction of where to look, you can sign me up for a tour of duty!

#15 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

I've actually found it much more useful that I'd expected! So, as long as someone can point me in the direction of where to look, you can sign me up for a tour of duty!

Fantastic Dave, thanks! Any more takers? Come on, you know you want to... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users