8 replies to this topic

#1 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

Anyone know where I can get some visual stuff on this?
I saw a dramatisation on the telly once - a few years ago - but haven't seen it again. Amazon seem only to do a USA DVD version

#2 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

All I can recall on this is a very short piece within the (old) BBC History File on the USA in the '20s (prog called 'Boom and Bust'?)

[Can't you hack a DVD player so that it plays discs for any region? I'm sure I have seen fixes for this on the Net.]

#3 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

There' a brilliant film on Darrow but, amazingly, it ends just BEFORE :hehe: the monkey trial, and a voice over simply says 'My granddad did many more wonderful things, including winning the Scopes Monkey trial which made him famous'!!!!
Suspect they must have run out of money.
Still an OK film, though, with an Oscar-winning Kevin Spacey.

#4 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

All I can recall on this is a very short piece within the (old) BBC History File on the USA in the '20s (prog called 'Boom and Bust'?)

[Can't you hack a DVD player so that it plays discs for any region? I'm sure I have seen fixes for this on the Net.]

WAY beyond my technical expertise!!!!! I can only just work a DVD player (truly). However - worth investigating in school, as Russia, Land of the Tsars is also only available in USA format

The prog I saw on telly was about an hour (at least) - it was on one of the satellite channels I think - and showed the whole trial (dramatised). It was brilliant but we didn't teach this depth study then so I didn't think to record it.
We still have all the old History file progs, including Boom and Bust, but I don't recall it on there. Might be though.

#5 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:18 PM

WAY beyond my technical expertise!!!!! I can only just work a DVD player (truly). However - worth investigating in school, as Russia, Land of the Tsars is also only available in USA format

Don't worry, Alison. I don't even have a DVD player! All you need is a teenager, surely? From what I vaguely remember reading it was really easy.

We still have all the old History file progs, including Boom and Bust, but I don't recall it on there. Might be though.

Perhaps I invented it then. It can only have been a few minutes anyway.

#6 bobspeight

bobspeight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

The play 'Inherit the Wind' is based on the trial. The names are all different but when I saw it a few weeks ago it seemed to follow the story pretty faithfully, and was a lot of fun. There's a film version, about which I know nothing but at 6 quid you can't go wrong?

http://www.amazon.co...7841728-6365269

#7 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Anyone who *ahem* might want to hack their DVD player (sometimes as easy as pushing buttons on the remote) might want to visit this site:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Doug :hehe:

#8 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

The play 'Inherit the Wind' is based on the trial. The names are all different but when I saw it a few weeks ago it seemed to follow the story pretty faithfully, and was a lot of fun. There's a film version, about which I know nothing but at 6 quid you can't go wrong?

http://www.amazon.co...7841728-6365269

that sounds like it!!!

6 quid and in European format.
Brilliant!

#9 Carol Wallbanks

Carol Wallbanks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

Inherit the Wind (1960) is excellent and one of my all time favourites. It more or less follows the trial but the historical content has been modified and the characters names have been changed. Apparently the film was ..."designed as a protest against the repressive thinking of the 50s McCarthy era." Well worth splashing out 6 quid, even though it's in black and white (1960). Spencer Tracy is awesome as Drummond! (Darrow)

Edited by Carol Dean, 08 April 2006 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users