3 replies to this topic

#1 Helen S

Helen S

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

I was wondering what other people thought who teach this topic?

once again as ever with Edexcel I think that some of the questions were....urm......not great. For example in section 12. the short answer questions are easy to follow. BUT section 11. short answer questions seemed far tougher.

Seeing lots of Kennedy/Johnson questions was unfortunate, despite my best efforts these two topics are the least popular with pupils and hard to digest.

grrrrr.

H.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

I do feel that the questions certainly weren't the easiest. They will certainly catch out those students who felt they could just walk into the exam hall without proper revision.

If students had prepared correctly, the questions were certainly 'doable'. I agree that the wording and structure of the questions was a little odd. Also the extensive use of Kennedy / Johnson for Divided Union meant there wasn't really much of a choice.

What this most certainly reveals is how challenging the GCSE History exam is. This was clearly an exam, whereas the ICT equivalent exam was so simple a student didn't need to revise at all. That is what irritates me the most.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Couldn't agree more Andrew. I've invigilated a few exams recently and some are a joke. The History exam was the first one where nearly all the studenst were working right up until the end. And that's a two hour exam. Really tough.

I thought the questions on Russia were good, and not bad on Superpower Relations. However 7 marks for a question on the Hungarian Uprising???

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#4 Helen S

Helen S

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

Yes......7 marks is quite a lot to get

then......with revision....................

BUT I do think a foundation paper would be better for D-G candidates. Some of the questions/tasks are so tough. (especially when we are expected to keep up with subjects that have modules/foundation papers)

Oh well......roll on Paper 2!!!

Helen
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users