• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:10 AM

As was the case last year, we've agreed with Chris Culpin to place any notes etc from workshops at this conference that workshop leaders wish to make public on the forum. They'll be posted in this part of the forum as and when they are sent in. Feel free to offer comments etc about the conference in this thread (or in this area of the forum).

For forumaholics at the conference - you'll be able to get Internet access via IT1 in the library building at TASC. It's not open all of the time but if you're desperate for 'net access pop along before or immedately after one of my workshops.

#2 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

I have to say that I thought this year's conference was the best I've ever been to, with so many outstanding training sessions and plenaries and the chance to catch up with so many wonderful history teachers. A big thanks to the organisers, I had a great time. Now where do I slot the 300 new ideas I've got into the schemes of learning?
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#3 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

My head was buzzing with the new ideas I picked up.

My head was buzzing with the new ideas I picked up.

Here are some of my best bits in random order:

1) Dan Lyndon's seminar. Really good ideas that may help with next year's 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade.
2) Being told off by the canteen lady for wanting to buy a drink when it was apparently closed. I was then graciously thanked by a young lady for taking the flak for her, as she wanted a drink too.
3) Sarah Jaggs being very excited because people knew her name.
4) Dan Lyndon eating humble geek pie when he needed help at the start of the seminar when there was a problem with his laptop.
5) Dan Lyndon and Donald Cumming's ridiculous conversation that went along the lines, "My grandmother was harder than your grandmother". It was in the pub.
6) Finding out who some of the forum 'lurkers' are - Emma, you have to post now!
7) Finding out that Dom Giles is a bear of a man with not a raincoat/hoodie in sight.
8) Ian Dawson and Chris Culpin. Need I say more?
9) Dave Wallbanks' choice of music. Scary.
10) Dribbling over Doug Belshaw's new Macbook.
11) Diana Laffin and Maggie Wilson's seminar.

I'll stop there. I look forward to viewing the seminars I missed.

I highly recommend that if you have the opportunity to go, please take it. You'll find a really friendly atmosphere with people who are willing to engage/share/discuss professional issues. Oh, and share a story or two about Grandparents. ;)

Edited by Nick Dennis, 09 July 2006 - 05:39 PM.

#4 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:05 AM

As I was only there for around half the time Nick was, I'll make do with just my top 5:

1. Don and Sarah's seminar. Absolutely amazing: innovative high-quality ideas being thrown out left, right and centre. :teacher:
2. Being the Duke of Northumberland in Ian Dawson's Saturday night session about the Wars of the Roses!
3. Dan Lyndon's story about his grandparents.
4. Being surrounded by young women (OK, two...) adoring my Macbook in the bar whilst we were being uber-geeks and sharing shedloads of resources.
5. Oh, and meeting more people I've only ever 'met' online!

Thanks goes to Neil for getting me into the conference - top bloke! :D

Doug :hehe:

#5 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

I couldn’t possible summarise my thoughts into a list of ten. And as I don’t have to go to work this week, I thought I’d write a more detailed post. These are somewhat off the cuff and personal, I hope others who went might like to add to them, even if they disagree.

Chris Culpin welcomed us and told us that we wouldn’t be joined by live video link by Lord Adonis, but he had sent us a DVD. Chris Culpin had sent him some questions to answer, however. These were based around the question of whether the government is decreasing the importance of History in the curriculum by reducing the number of PGCE students, allowing schools to cover KS 3 in two years, and something else I can’t now remember…

I’m not really sure what I can say about his reply. He was non-committal, as you would expect. He said History was important although we won’t be making it compulsory. He did say something about KS4 Citizenship and how History or perhaps History teachers would be important in developing this (perhaps relating it to Core-British values). He was asked which area of the curriculum we should drop if we have to teach more British Empire History. His answer was that teachers were best placed to answer this and there would be no direction from government.

These are the seminars I went too

History in Music – Tony Fox

In this seminar Tony Fox led us through some songs that he uses with his students as hooks (mainly). His focus was on Slavery and hence we heard a lot of Bob Dylan. He played the songs whilst showing a simple set of PowerPoint slides on lynching. Very very moving and bound to engage even the most disinterested student. Although this is a relatively simple tool it is very powerful. Instead of just starting a lesson with “Right now, we’re going to look at life in the US in the 1920s…” You start with a song and some images. It really gets them involved and they will remember. Although nothing revolutionary in content I did find it useful, especially the idea of putting together a simple PowerPoint to go with the song.
A useful site is www.monologues.co.uk (where you can find Marriott Edgars poems about the Battle of Hastings and Magna Carta)

The Learning Curve.

I really like this site and would love to use it more in class. I find it IS full of really interesting original sources but think that the students find it hard to navigate, and just a bit too much to handle. I had hoped this seminar would show me how I could get around this. It didn’t, although it has renewed my desire to pursue this resource. There is an excellent looking General Haig lesson being put on the site in September, specifically (but not exclusively) for use with IWBs. Apparently there are more IWB friendly lessons being planned for the future.

Interactive Whiteboards – Roy Huggins.

An excellent seminar where Roy showed us how IWBs can be use easily and quickly to enhance good teaching (When his projector wasn’t blowing up!) Not sure what else I can say really, except thanks Roy! It is really important that those of us lucky enough to have whiteboards use then effectively, and this seminar gave me lots of ideas in how to go about doing this.

Teaching the most able historians.

A seminar lead by Tony McConnell. He outlined how we must try to stretch the gifted and talented in our classroom. His main premise was that we don’t do it by giving them extra work or essays but by teaching them to become historians. To become aware that history is difficult and subjective. He gave us the example of a lesson on the Cold War. Give the students several pieces of paper each one with a cold war event on it. Ask the class in groups to rank them in chronological order, then order of importance, then in order of tension, then ask the G&T to rank them in order of Historical significance. Is this easy to do? Why?

I also went to a fringe meeting on NAGTY (History working group). NAGTY means National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth, and they wanted to just let us know that they exists, that they are working to raise standards, and we can all get involved. G&T is an important and often ignored area of the curriculum. They have written a document called “supporting High Achievement in History and it is available here: www.nagty.ac.u/professional_academy/think_tanks/history.aspx

Practical uses for Digital Video in History – by Simon Harrison.

This was the last seminar and for me perhaps the most useful. I know very little about Windows Movie Maker but was interested to find out more as a colleague has used it and raves about it – (That’s if geeks are allowed to rave!). And, wow, isn’t it easy to use. Basically Simon showed us how easy it is, by simple importing a short clip of film (let’s say a 1 minute clip from pathe news (www.britishpathe.com) you can do so much. Show the clip without sound and ask students to write there own commentary. We watched a wonderful clip reporting on the blitz where a very stiff upper-lipped BBC reporter asked “cockneys” what they thought of “that devil, Hitler”. We had to write our own commentary (before hearing the original), and the idea is to draw out bias and interpretation in a fun and interesting way. And all this can be done with ONE computer and a projector.

We then moved onto making short video clips of our own using several selected films archive clips which is really very easy to do. If you have Windows XP you will have Windows Movie maker. Go to start – Programmes – accessories and you should find it.

Simon then showed us something else that looked really clever and interesting, although he did point out that it had been done by a colleague so he had no idea how well it had worked. This teacher had found a 1930s cartoon which related King Kong to the League of Nations (At least I think it was the L of N, it may have been something else) The class had looked at the source and analysed it. He then showed them a clip of the 1930s film King Kong (which had presumably influenced the cartoonist.). They then had to write a voice over for the 30 second film clip turning it into a critique of the League of Nations.

A final point – one of the plenary sessions was from a film maker at Teachers TV. She said that her budget for making History programmes has been cut – because there doesn’t seem to be much interest. If we want more programmes made we need to show interest and the best way would be to download programmes from the website. Just thought I’d mention it.

However the most important part of the whole weekend for me was to met lots of Forum members – they really do exist! Perhaps next year Forum members should form a fringe group and all get together( with a secret handshake or something). I also spoke to lots of other teachers who know of the forum and lurk but don’t post as they don’t think they have anything to say. I tried to persuade them and hope they do – So Vicky N. get posting!

PS. Nick, I think I’ll have to change my avatar now. I didn’t realise I came across as a hoodie!

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#6 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

I have to agree, this was definitely the best Conference that I have ever been to, packed full of exciting seminars, great plenaries (it's not often you can say that!) and meeting some wonderful people. My quick list of memories:

1) Meeting Christine Counsell for the first time - an amazing woman, so full of passion and enthusiasm.
2) Managing to overcome the fear of having the great Dale Banham in my workshop, especially as I had nicked one of his ideas as part of the session!
3) Donalds and Sarah's fantastic workshop - I went straight to my Head this morning and said I want to get rid of my desks, mark in gel pens and could tell he was delighted by the movement of his eyes!!
4) Roy to the rescue - mild mannered History teacher becomes SuperICT man!
5) Sitting in the bar, chatting rubbish all night. marvellous. And yes my grandmother was definitely harder than Don's
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#7 Dafydd Humphreys

Dafydd Humphreys

Thinking outside the box...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

3) Donalds and Sarah's fantastic workshop - I went straight to my Head this morning and said I want to get rid of my desks, mark in gel pens and could tell he was delighted by the movement of his eyes!!

Way too busy to go to this year's SHP, any chance of a summary of this one?
My Youtube Channels: <a href="http://www.youtube.c...m/Learnhistory" target="_blank">LearnHistory</a> (RIP) :( and <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory2" target="_blank">LearnHistory2</a> and now <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory3" target="_blank">LearnHistory3</a>

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

I hope so as I couldn't make it to their seminar and EVERYONE said it was brilliant.

#9 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll endeavour to do some sort of I-Spy guide to our workshop, and of course post the slides up. I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves; hopefully you found it useful.

And I'd like to add my thanks to Chris, Ian and everyone else involved in organising the conference. It was another three days of ideas and inspiration! My better half, who is far too wise to be either a teacher or historian, was also made to feel welcome by everyone and loved the Saturday night wars of the roses spectacular.

And as for my Gran... well she'd be most amused to be the cause of such envy!
:woo:

Here's to next year!
Don

#10 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi Guys,

SHP was great and it was great to meet up with the usual crowd and some new faces! Remember, ladies you promised to start posting instead of of lurking online! I think that a key question for the future of the forum is how do we encourage more of our registered users to post! Its interesting to note the number of guys who are posting!

Thank you for everyone who attended our seminar on developing interactive teaching styles using ICT & IWBs. I felt that despite the data projector overheated several times - the content of my seminar was so hot - that everything went really well. Despite what Dom said above, there were no explosions! I must admit though, I nearly died and went to history teacher heaven when Ben Walsh attended our seminar!

Many thanks to Dan who as always was a great host, really helpful and knows the location of all the great curry houses in Leeds / Bradford. My only reservation about the whole conference was that certain parts were a bit of a blur as folks kept on buying me drinks! As a consequence, I had a terrible hangover on both Saturday and Sunday mornings and only managed about 5 hours sleep.

One last thanks to all those who shared resources, especially Doug who was a star as usual!

Roy

Edited by rhuggins, 11 July 2006 - 09:22 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#11 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Are there any more presentations to be added? I know it is the holidays... :)

#12 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

Thanks to Dom Giles for the kind comments, just to let you know I will be leading an improved History in Music workshop in July, no more powerpoints, but plenty more Dylan.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users