• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karen P

Karen P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

I am in my 3rd year teaching history and have no experince of A-level, start a new job Septmeber and the school has no S.O.W or lesson plans or real resources and i am meant to start teaching the following:

Imperial and Weimar Germany 1871-1925, Germany 1880-1980 and the Holocaust 1938-1945.

any help, ideas, resources, S.O.W anythingas starting to stress as not even sure where to begin with it all.
thanks

#2 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

I'm fairly sure Russ Tarr (of activehistory, and one of our Admin Team here) used to teach the first two topics you mention and he has some great resources on his website.

Unfortunately (for you), his site is subscription only so I can't provide direct links, but an individual subscription is not vey expensive and his materials are great. Besides you get access to all his KS3 and 4 resources too.

See here if you don't know the site:
http://www.activehistory.co.uk/

I'm fairly sure too, that there are Forum members who teach or have taught the Holocaust Unit.

As for getting started in a situation like this then make sure you have all the relevant info. that AQA publish: the Spec., Reading lists, Past Papers, Examiners' Reports and 'Teachers' Guides' etc (look on their website) and use those to guide your planning (failing all else ;) ) If they run any INSET courses then do try to get on one.

We also have a member who works in the AQA office who is always very helpful and he may be able to guide you to all their useful info. if you are struggling to find it. I'll bring this thread to his attention.

Hope this helps a bit .... I know how scary it can all seem.

Edited to say:
I forgot to mention the 'What do you teach at A Level?' thread on the Forum. This might help you to locate potentially helpful members - though I'm afraid people don't always update their details and they may not visit the Forum regularly now.... but it might help.

Edited by Carole Faithorn, 15 August 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#3 Karen P

Karen P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hello

Thanks for that i have signed up and had a look and although there is some worksheets i cant see any lesson plans so i hope someone on here might have some or s.o.w for me to follow as i dont want to fall the kids by not doing the right amount on each section etc so any guidance from anyone will be good.

if you can pass this on to the people you mentioned that would be great.

#4 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

I teach these subjects exactly.

E-Mail me and I will attach SOW etc for you.

I can also send you a CD of resources!

#5 Karen P

Karen P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:40 PM

thank you i have emailed you so i hope you got it if not my email is on the above reply

thank you

#6 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I didn't get your e-mail so I have sent you one and if you reply to it we can allay your worries about A-Level.

I was in your position 2 years ago and my colleague gave me her A grade standard files which I turned into digitally updated resources for the students.

I also plan to set up some online debating competitions for students this year on your topics for schools in my area - your class will be welcome to join in - the students love it.

#7 Karen P

Karen P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

email sent and on the way.

thank you so much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users