• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Emma

Emma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

Still can't use quotes!!! :huh: Know what you're saying about lower literacy skills and the exams. Had a few of those in my group this year, but am so proud of them for doing as well as they have. :)

I often wonder how these kids can be supported when there's no escaping this level of reading and writing in the exam (obviously amenuensis help some, but other than that...).
If you wanted it done yesterday, why did you wait until tomorrow to ask?

#17 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Still can't use quotes!!! :huh: Know what you're saying about lower literacy skills and the exams. Had a few of those in my group this year, but am so proud of them for doing as well as they have. :)

I often wonder how these kids can be supported when there's no escaping this level of reading and writing in the exam (obviously amenuensis help some, but other than that...).

Emma - press the 'Reply' button underneath this message (near the bottom right of this message) and then type underneath. Give it a try now!

The quick-reply feature - where there is just a box to type in at the bottom doesn't automatically include a quote, whereas if you actually select reply it will.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#18 Emma

Emma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

Testing, testing...

Ah well...

I'm still happy anyway. :D
If you wanted it done yesterday, why did you wait until tomorrow to ask?

#19 AdamCrawte

AdamCrawte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

79% A* - C for the whole department and 80% for my group, they did me proud!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

#20 Jackie Topham

Jackie Topham

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Having marked for our GCSE board this year I was really worried as I could see all the traps our students would have fallen into. The other problem, due to circumstances beyond my control, was that I had two top sets. Thankfully my students did me proud (95% a-c ) and the two just got D grades (one was 2 marks off a C) The department got approx 66% A-C (school av 54%) not many D grades but quite a few E grades- I don't know the value added yet.

On a slightly different point - AS/A2 results
Our A2 results were in line with expectations (even the coursework unit!), but are AS results were quite poor - esp the European History unit (we study OCR) Talking to other colleagues form other departments in school they too have experienced drops in AS results from other boards. Is this just a quirk at our school?

#21 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Can't comment or offer exam data yet.

My boilet/water heater burst this morning and am 1300 out of pocket, shattered and have an evening of exam data analysis ahead of me.

Plus four days with no water - at all - for anything!!!!!

#22 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Our results were 56.6% A to C with the results being higher than the school 5 A to C but 2% lower than last year (but last year we had 3 groups to this years massive 5!) Disappointed after all the hard work but alot of kids got what they worked for with a fair old few getting really good grades. I would not mind seeing what transpired about the AQA SHP Medicine Paper with that tricky 15 mark question in Section A.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#23 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

I would not mind seeing what transpired about the AQA SHP Medicine Paper with that tricky 15 mark question in Section A.

And with many complaints about AQA's papers generally elsewhere on these pages and my experience of AQA yesterday and today is this more ammunition for Roy H's 'Why I'm Changing from AQA to OCR' debate? :unsure:
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#24 Jacko

Jacko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

I would not mind seeing what transpired about the AQA SHP Medicine Paper with that tricky 15 mark question in Section A.

And with many complaints about AQA's papers generally elsewhere on these pages and my experience of AQA yesterday and today is this more ammunition for Roy H's 'Why I'm Changing from AQA to OCR' debate? :unsure:

We've finally given up on AQA after today. Some of our results are so bizarre they defy any rational explanation. How do you explain a girl who was predicted an A and who did well in her mocks, working hard since then, getting 19 out of 90 on Paper 1????

#25 Clare Gaynor

Clare Gaynor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Wohooo!!!

I am very happy with the results! :D
75% A*-C for the school
80% for the History dept A*-C! (11% above our estimate!)
86.4% A* - C pass rate for my class!

We've all worked hard this year!

Pass the wine someone! LOL! :wine:

Clare

#26 Scott Allsop

Scott Allsop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

This was my first time taking a GCSE class through the course (I was an NQT last year) and my class really did me proud :)

History take-up at school is low (only 22 out of a year of 120ish this year, with the majority mainly opting for art, PE or business studies) but even so this year's 72% A*-C (school average 60%) and 100% pass-rate has still made me absolutely over the moon!

It's such a strange thing to finish training, do your NQT year and still not really know if you're up to doing it for the kids for another year after that - but at least I now know the sleepless nights and logn days were worth it!

Edited by Scotty, 24 August 2006 - 10:44 PM.

#27 AdamCrawte

AdamCrawte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I know exactly how you feel Scotty, this was my first group that I had seen all the way through and to know that they have exceeded expectations is a great feeling. It is all about the kids getting the right mark for them but also good to know you have done your job well
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

#28 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Well - it doesn't look good on face value but we were looking for improvement on last year!

47.6% A*-C - 9.1% higher than last year.
Everybody who entered the exam achieved a History grade which was also a positive improvement.

So next year let's hope we can do the same again - slowly but surely we will try and get up there.

Edited by Nichola Boughey, 26 August 2006 - 10:04 AM.

#29 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

Every year I go in thinking that this is going to be the year in which my bubble bursts. In classic teacher fashion I can never actually believe that my kids will get the results I tell them they are capable of becuase I will have done something wrong, taught them the wrong bit or simply left something out without noticiing. I never blame them if they don't get the results as I always look at equivilant kids who get the results in past years and know that it clearly can be done if we all work hard enough together. However I have to admit there are always one or two who I do decide it was their fault and not mine!!

However another year of success with our departmental results significantly over target as set by previous performance data. The headline figure only has meanig in context. For me the big context for this year's results is that we have now got higher GCSE History results in my current school in a pretty rough urban area than we did a few years ago in my first school which was in an affluent rural area. That for me was the key yardstick to success and proves once again that with determination and hard work anything can be achieved by any group of kids.

Well done to everyone who has had the courage to report their results in this thread. It is a lot more daunting sharing them here than simply telling your friends down the pub who are not teachers and don't really know what it all means!!!

:teacher:
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#30 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

We've finally given up on AQA after today. Some of our results are so bizarre they defy any rational explanation. How do you explain a girl who was predicted an A and who did well in her mocks, working hard since then, getting 19 out of 90 on Paper 1????

I am seriously considering it too - we prepped the kids heavily on medicine and American West and it feels like unless they were A* they were screwed! As I said I want to see the exam report or someone from AQA.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users