44 replies to this topic

#31 Helen S

Helen S

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

My students got mainly on prediction. I was pleased that a few "grafter" students who struggled got up to grade C. I was a bit dissapointed that the grade boundaries for Edexcel A had gone up by 1% as this left a couple with C who were sadly 1% off a B. A bit frustrating. Sadly I was made to put a pupil with very poor attendance into the exam and that resulted in a U. I knew that would be the result and it didn't seem fair on him really. I think that Edexcel Paper 1 is such a nightmare for lower ability pupils that if I wasn't leaving the school I would have changed the syllabus. H.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells

#32 jo norton

jo norton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

On a slightly different point - AS/A2 results
Our A2 results were in line with expectations (even the coursework unit!), but are AS results were quite poor - esp the European History unit (we study OCR) Talking to other colleagues form other departments in school they too have experienced drops in AS results from other boards. Is this just a quirk at our school?

This is exactly what has happened to us, except in the British unit for AQA - kids getting on average 34 marks lower in that unit than any other. Has anyone else had this happen?

#33 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

Not too bad...

School = 37% A*-C
History = 56% A*-C
Geography = 51% A*-C

At least we have the bragging rights over the colouring in squad....

Unfortunately though out of my class of 15 despite most being on target I had 4 very poor results (all at least 2-3 grades lower than YELLIS/ALIS predictions which gave me a horrible residual... I can state clearly exactly why each one got the grade that they did but that still doesn't do much for me!

Grrrrrr

Ah well, just need to make sure that my new yr10 class all perform to expectations (and as they're all A*-C kids they'd better do or I'm in deep trouble!!!!)

Paul
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#34 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

At least we have the bragging rights over the colouring in squad....

Ouch!!! :D But so true,..........
Had a very good set of results this year. Now, the next set................. :teacher: They are usually motivated by the previous year. I hope so.

#35 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

Tell you what guys this is the first year that I have analysed exam results and I discovered that our exam board Edexcel is actually 8.7% below the national A*-C at GCSE for my specification and that of the three specifications Economic and Social History is considerably lower than Modern World History and SHP.

Interesting...

My upside is that both AS and A2 results blew away school percentages and national percentages so I can at least grin about that.

#36 MrsB

MrsB

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

HUGE improvement in results this year! Especially with the A*/A grades - I'm sure this is because we had Malcolm Chandler (through London Revsion) in to do a study day with the students.- Edexcel.
It's only a job!

#37 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

HUGE improvement in results this year! Especially with the A*/A grades - I'm sure this is because we had Malcolm Chandler (through London Revsion) in to do a study day with the students.- Edexcel.

If you get the chance it would be great if you could explain a little more about this in the current seminar - see http://www.schoolhis...?showtopic=7285

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#38 bobspeight

bobspeight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

2 As, 2 Bs, 2 Cs, 4 Ds (grrr) and 4 Es. 43% compared to last two years' 0% and 35% for the school as a whole. Not bad for two terms' work, and plenty to build on. Frustrating that having nagged their coursework out of them for the last two months of the course I couldn't persuade the Ds to do the slightest bit of revision and get the grades that they were capable of.

Congratualtions to everyone else for some great results

#39 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:20 PM

We've also had Chandler in for the last three years as well.

Works wonders with our able students!

#40 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Our AS / A2 results were inline with last year, but we managed to increase our GCSE pass rate by 20% to 47%. This puts us back online with our previous growth forcasts. The scary thing is that 47% represents the highest pass rate the department has ever had at GCSE with AQA. However, having broken down the residuals there has only been a marginal improvement on last year. This is due in part to a long term staff absence. Next year we shoudl have our first year results from changing from AQA to OCR. It should be interesting as it should be the ultimate test of my theory about AQA being harder than OCR.

Anyway, have to dash.

Roy

Edited by rhuggins, 31 August 2006 - 06:05 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#41 Jackie Topham

Jackie Topham

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

Found out today that one of our students has gone from a E to an A for their GCSE. The reason - they forgot to take into account the special consideration requested (due to absence from an exam) What worries me is that this was only spotted when I was going through the results and queried it with the board, makes you wonder what else "slips through"....

#42 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

Nicky will be encouraged to hear this news. Something very similar happened to one of her students, but I don't think we have had an update yet on whether the Board have corrected their error.

#43 dwiliamsmts

dwiliamsmts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Well - it doesn't look good on face value but we were looking for improvement on last year!

47.6% A*-C - 9.1% higher than last year.
Everybody who entered the exam achieved a History grade which was also a positive improvement.

So next year let's hope we can do the same again - slowly but surely we will try and get up there.

How did you find edexcel spec b paper?
Have you a spare paper 1 and 2 I could possibly have? Sorry being cheeky!!!!

Dave Willias

#44 MrsB

MrsB

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

Found out today that one of our students has gone from a E to an A for their GCSE. The reason - they forgot to take into account the special consideration requested (due to absence from an exam) What worries me is that this was only spotted when I was going through the results and queried it with the board, makes you wonder what else "slips through"....

Interesting - we have one student with a G grade who didn't sit all the papers due to illness. Had expected B/C! Will follow this up .. . . .
It's only a job!

#45 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi guys,

The student who was given a U was a Social Science candidate so school is taking that up. The exam board, AQA, are saying that because there is only one exam and coursework worth 25% then they have no choice but to give her a U. If coursework was worth more then they might have given a better grade. The main problem is that the board no longer does that exam so she can't even resit it.

As for specification B - I am not a fan of Econ and Soc History and to be honest once we switched to Edexcel, and even with Chandler's tutoring, our results have dropped from an average of about 78% A*-C to about 40% A*-C. This is something that we have to consider soon - even to the point of considering surely the move to a new specification....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users