8 replies to this topic

#1 AdamCrawte

AdamCrawte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

Do you have a laptop Carl? If so some allow you to just shut the lid and move it without messing up your SIMS/LM connection, just make sure you back up to the network before you even touch SIMS/LM. Makes my life a lot easier when movin between the two sites at school
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Tomorrow for instance I am teaching three year 8 lessons back to back [the same lesson], but in three different rooms, its madness! What makes it all the more difficult is that I am expected to take an electronic register in the first 15 minutes of every lesson, which means the slog of logging into the PC, logging into SIMS, starting Lesson Monitor, all whilst moving stuff around and setting up materials for the rest of the lesson! It is this messing around at the beginning of lessons that have made some classes really difficult - so I am seriously going to have to think about my starter activities to keep the group on task whilst I complete the admin activites [it doesn't help that all the boards are SmartBoards, their are no OHPs and all the preplanned starters are on PowerPoint or Smart Notepad].

Carl, the solution for this is for one laptop to be left in each room. With Lesson Monitor is doesn't matter who is logged in - you can access any teacher's register. Many many schools suffer from an immense amount of rooming difficulties. Best way around it is for each teacher to have a laptop, but then whosever room it actually is agress to leave their own laptop setup and running.

I am extremely lucky to have a fabulous ICT suite which has a laptop just for use in the room, together with my own laptop. Yet when I teach history I can rely that whichever room is being used has a computer ready to go. If the rooms are simply nomadic with all sorts of teachers going in and out of them the school needs to arrange for a PC to be fixed into each one for Admin purposes.

Once you get over this hurdle and have a PC good to go in each room having the starters in PowerPoint or Smart Notepage will actually be a major advantage - much easier than having to setup an OHP with dangling wires everywhere.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Carl Fazackerley

Carl Fazackerley

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

With Lesson Monitor is doesn't matter who is logged in - you can access any teacher's register.

I'll have a mess around with this tomorrow and try any work this out - I did see "other staff" on the menu so I assume it is in there.

the rooms are simply nomadic with all sorts of teachers going in and out of them the school needs to arrange for a PC to be fixed into each one for Admin purposes.

There is no issue with PC kit as each room has a static PC and we all have laptops. Its just the messing around logging on - I need to raise it with the rest of the faculty to request that PCs are left logged on to save time. I am the one that has drawn the short straw - we have 5 rooms and there are 7 of us including the HoF - so I seem to move around a lot more than my collegues, so I am not sure they appreciate the hastle that results when they log things off completely!

Once you get over this hurdle and have a PC good to go in each room having the starters in PowerPoint or Smart Notepage will actually be a major advantage - much easier than having to setup an OHP with dangling wires everywhere.

Too right! Once logged in it is all great to go!

Do you have a laptop Carl? If so some allow you to just shut the lid and move it without messing up your SIMS/LM connection, just make sure you back up to the network before you even touch SIMS/LM. Makes my life a lot easier when movin between the two sites at school

I'm not sure if my laptop does do this - it will be worth a try. Do you use yours just for SIMS/LM or for the projector and everything as well? This would mean I'd need to mess around with additional cables for the SmartBoard and the projector, etc.

Edited by Carl Fazackerley, 12 September 2006 - 08:34 PM.

"Ernest Hemingway: In order to be a great writer a person must have a built- in, shockproof - crap detector."

#4 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Carl - you're perfectly setup then. When you move rooms just don't log your laptop off the network. Just pull the network cable out and plug in when you get to the new room. You are then instantly setup.

If you have additional PCs in the room anyway, the should - in terms of network security etc. - be logged in with alternative logins anyway. Thus perhaps they could consider logins that are linked to the room number / label. When finished, just do a quick CTRL+ALT+DEL and lock the computer. As long as staff share the passwords for the PCs, then that issue is solved too.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#5 Carl Fazackerley

Carl Fazackerley

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

Carl - you're perfectly setup then. When you move rooms just don't log your laptop off the network. Just pull the network cable out and plug in when you get to the new room. You are then instantly setup.

OK so use the laptop to drive the SIMS/LM and the PC to sort out the lesson?

If you have additional PCs in the room anyway, the should - in terms of network security etc. - be logged in with alternative logins anyway. Thus perhaps they could consider logins that are linked to the room number / label. When finished, just do a quick CTRL+ALT+DEL and lock the computer. As long as staff share the passwords for the PCs, then that issue is solved too.

OK that makes sense - just don't know how the Network Manager will see it having PCs logged in associated with the room and not an individual - he's very protective of what he calls "my network"!
"Ernest Hemingway: In order to be a great writer a person must have a built- in, shockproof - crap detector."

#6 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

OK so use the laptop to drive the SIMS/LM and the PC to sort out the lesson?

No, the other way around.

Obviously I don't know how your school / network is setup, but from what you've described I'd have my lesson resources on my laptop - so my lesson is ready to go - perhaps just by plugging in a network cable and a projector cable. The fixed PC in the room sounds more like it should be used for Admin purposes i.e. having lesson monitor running.

If a fixed PC is logged in with a generic staff / room login things can still be kept secure, but it will make things much easier for you.

At the moment it sounds like each computer in the room is logged in with the same staff username - both the fixed one and your own laptop. That is quite a fudge as on a school network you only really want one login powering one PC at a time.

Best way around this is to come up with both the problem and the solution. Go to see the Tech people and tell them the problem. Then provide hints until the Tech person comes up with the same solution you want - then congratulate them on their solution ;)

#7 Carl Fazackerley

Carl Fazackerley

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

No, the other way around.

Obviously I don't know how your school / network is setup, but from what you've described I'd have my lesson resources on my laptop - so my lesson is ready to go - perhaps just by plugging in a network cable and a projector cable. The fixed PC in the room sounds more like it should be used for Admin purposes i.e. having lesson monitor running.

The machines in the rooms are fully connected up to the SmartBoard etc. I'd have to start unplugging cables from the back of it at the begginning of lessons - so that is a no go [I'd get strung up by the Tech Guys]. ALso all of our lesson resources are held on a central network store for common use [all of our classes are mixed ability so we plan as a faculty].

At the moment it sounds like each computer in the room is logged in with the same staff username - both the fixed one and your own laptop. That is quite a fudge as on a school network you only really want one login powering one PC at a time.

The machines are logged on using individual staff log ons, the same one I use for my laptop [which is often logged in at the same time in the faculty office]. We do not have mobile profiles however, so my settings and alike are individually held on each machine which as far as I understand removes the issue of mulitiple log ons. Am I correct in this thinking?

Best way around this is to come up with both the problem and the solution. Go to see the Tech people and tell them the problem. Then provide hints until the Tech person comes up with the same solution you want - then congratulate them on their solution ;)

I guess this depends on whether my earlier thought is correct!

If a fixed PC is logged in with a generic staff / room login things can still be kept secure, but it will make things much easier for you.

I like this idea and will put it forward at our faculty meeting tomorrow and get the boss' advice about how to proceed

#8 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

This all sounds a bit complex (and I'll also split of the tech stuff so your NQT diary doesn't get spolit).

You mention 'mobile profiles' - I think you mean 'roaming profiles'. What roaming profiles allow, if correctly setup, is for any member of the school to login to any computer and their settings will appear - together with things like 'My documents' mapped to their own network user area. This means you can login to any PC and use it as if it was your own.

Roaming profiles do allow you to be logged into more than one PC at a time, but it isn't advisable as it becomes tricky to track and keep records of what has been done on each machine / via each login.

I think you must have some form of roaming profile as you wouldn't be able to login to your laptop and access network services such as Lesson Monitor if you didn't. However, this will also mean you have full access to all your teaching resources on the network.

Thus - techincally your laptop and your fixed PC are of identical use to you - apart from the fact the wires for your smartboard are plugged into the fixed PC.

I'd just raise the issue about problems logging in and try to get some universal logins for the fixed computers in the rooms. Even just 'history1' etc. or something. Without knowing the setup of your network it is tricky to help further, but all of the things we've discussed are certainly very possible.

#9 Carl Fazackerley

Carl Fazackerley

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

I'd just raise the issue about problems logging in and try to get some universal logins for the fixed computers in the rooms. Even just 'history1' etc. or something. Without knowing the setup of your network it is tricky to help further, but all of the things we've discussed are certainly very possible.

Will do Andrew, thanks for your advice here - things to move forward with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users