4 replies to this topic

#1 cjlwright

cjlwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

I want to start working on a website for a very specific purpose and could use some advice on the best way forward. I am pretty competent with computers, but have no specific web design skills. I use blogs with my history groups: www.ismhistorygrade9.blogspot.com for example, but haven't attempted to build a proper website before.

The site would essentially be a little like a share forum. To begin with it is for use just by myself and group of teachers that I met and worked with at a conference. We talked about sharing resources specific to out subject area and the MYP international programme. I'd like to expand it afterwards, but want to start small to begin with!

So the idea is that the website will host links to a large number of downloadable word/excel/powerpoint etc. These need to be able to be found via menus and some should appear under multiple headings (e.g. a lesson idea might appear under the headings: grade 7, AOI Community and Service, Concept B etc.). Also ideally it wants to be quite easy to maintain and update as I will be the one updating it!

I've looked into NVU, Frontpage, Publisher and briefly a few others but I'm really not sure which one to go with (i know frontpage and publisher are not 'free' but my school has them already so they are to me!). Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in Advance!

Chris
Chris Wright
International School of Milan
www.ismhistory.wordpress.com

#2 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

Don't even think about Publisher and Frontpage can lead to all sort of problems with any browser other than Internet Explorer.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend Nvu, unless your school has a site license for Dreamweaver which can be installed on your laptop! B)

Doug :hehe:

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

I actually think you would be better of using a blogging tool to complete your task. You could use a forum, setting up different sections for the resources, but from what you describe a blogging tool would be best.

Using the free Wordpress you could setup all the different categories you and your group plan to produce resources for. Then as each resource is produced it can be tagged. If it fits into more than one area (as you suggest above) then no problem, you just apply multiple tags to it.

With a small amount of effort you then produce links that enable any visitor to view a particular tag's contents, which will then display the appropriate resources.

Remember, anything that creates a website is a website creation tool, so your blogging experience is more than enough. Do let us know how you get on.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#4 cjlwright

cjlwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for your advice Doug & Andrew.

I think I'm going to go with wordpress in the end. I've just finished transfering the grade7/8 & 9 blogs that I ran over to one neat wordpress blog using the excellent 'pages' feature to create an index. It really is so much better than blogger (which I was using before). The fact that you get some free space when you host it at wordpress.com (even if its only 25mb!) to upload files is a bonus: I was getting tired of uploading files to my personal mediamax account and then linking them accross to the blogs!

I'm still going to keep tinkering with Nvu though when I get a few moments to spare - I'm keen to explore the added flexibility that it offers over a blog in the long run.

Thanks again!

Chris

Edited by cjlwright, 09 October 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Chris Wright
International School of Milan

#5 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

Good stuff, Chris - like the look of it, especially the 3-column layout :)

I see you're in Milan. If you ever need someone to do an INSET.... ;)

Doug :hehe:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users