- - - - -

BT File Vault

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

BT is offering 2GB of online storage for free. 20GB(!) is offered for 4.99 a month with free back up software.

It is better than my.Mac subscription and I only get 1GB... :huh:

#2 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

Fantastic! until you read the terms and conditions:

2. Backup Manager software is not currently Mac compatible

For the unenlightened folks still using Windows I'm sure it'll be great... ;)

Seriously, though, this a great find and a great way to backup important files which you use every day for teaching and learning. :teacher:

Doug :hehe:

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

Seriously, though, this a great find and a great way to backup important files which you use every day for teaching and learning. :teacher:

Surely this only refers to the backup software though doesn't it? You can still access the storage space online. 20Gig for 5 a month. That is ok, but it all depends on their transfer rates - how quickly things can be backed up. Worth looking into.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#4 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

Ah, I like spreading the knowledge even to those unelightened Windows users...

I saw the terms and conditions for the 20Gig storage but since I now have 2 gig free storage thanks to BT, I thought it wouldn't matter.

What I'm waiting for is Time Machine, a better version of .Mac and the 'Home on iPod' feature that copies your home folder (apps and docs!) and allows you to pug into any mac and use it as your own computer! :D

#5 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

Surely this only refers to the backup software though doesn't it? You can still access the storage space online.

You are, of course, correct - I hadn't read it thoroughly! I've just signed up and I can drag-and-drop files onto the file upload part of the webpage on my Macbook.

Result! :D

#6 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:12 PM

Surely this only refers to the backup software though doesn't it? You can still access the storage space online.

You are, of course, correct - I hadn't read it thoroughly! I've just signed up and I can drag-and-drop files onto the file upload part of the webpage on my Macbook.

Result! :D

It really is simple and I suggest that you sign up ASAP as after Nov 8th you only get 1GB of space.

#7 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

It really is simple and I suggest that you sign up ASAP as after Nov 8th you only get 1GB of space.

This could be a good way of sharing large resources. As I type this I'm uploading the BBC Medicine Through Time videos (c.500MB) which I can then 'invite' others to download and view. It looks like it's as easy as entering someone's email address and then pressing 'send'... :teacher:

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

This could be a good way of sharing large resources. As I type this I'm uploading the BBC Medicine Through Time videos (c.500MB) which I can then 'invite' others to download and view. It looks like it's as easy as entering someone's email address and then pressing 'send'... :teacher:

I was thinking about sharing large resources too but not clips! Great minds think alike and fools never differ...

Just to warn you Doug, the forum is now Google friendly and appears very high on any search to do with History... :)

#9 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

I was thinking about sharing large resources too but not clips! Great minds think alike and fools never differ...

Just to warn you Doug, the forum is now Google friendly and appears very high on any search to do with History... :)

My dear Dr. Dennis, I hope you didn't understand by the above that I would actually do such a thing, it was for information purposes only. A proof-of-concept if you will...

#10 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

My dear Dr. Dennis, I hope you didn't understand by the above that I would actually do such a thing, it was for information purposes only. A proof-of-concept if you will...

Nah, didn't think you would. Just giving you another 'heads up' though... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users