• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

P.W Botha died last night. As we are studying South Africa with Year 10 it gives us a great opportunity to look at interpretations. I want to find several different obituaries, that give different analysis of his life. Does anyone know of a pro-Botha newspaper? I've had a quick trawl through the internet but they all seem very similar. I hope to put this together over the next few days and will happily share it with anyone who is also doing this topic.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#2 Joel Thorpe

Joel Thorpe

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

Have you tried some of the online Afrikaans' sites, they would have a different perspective?

The obit on the anc site is worth a look too.

My own personal one is "Good riddence"

"I've spent my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest of it, I squandered!"George Best

"Oh well, what the hell!!" - Hungry Joe

#3 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:54 PM

P.W Botha died last night. As we are studying South Africa with Year 10 it gives us a great opportunity to look at interpretations.

A really good idea - will you share what you come up with?

My own personal one is "Good riddence"

Here here!
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#4 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

One less racist...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#5 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:58 AM

I have tried to find a sympatheic obit. but without much luck. Will give it a serious go this weekend. Have had a look at the scary AWB website! I can access it from school but is banned by the UAE server!

#6 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

Well Ok. It was a good idea. Unfortunately without much success. I couldn't really find a pro-Botha obit. Posted below is what I've come up with.

I think I'll just hand them out so my students get a good understanding of how an obit is written. Maybe I'll get THEM to write a positive one!

The first one is a South Africa obit. and probably the most positve (it does talk about how hindsight will treat Botha much kinder than the quick appraisals following his death) However, it's quite a difficult one to read.

The second one is the BBC one.

Third is the Daily Mail. Unbelievably (for those of us old enough to remember) The Mail doesn't support Botha!

Next is from BBC. Its reactions in quotes from world leaders.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users