• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:02 AM

:help: I am conducting some informal research into which types of resources/ facilities teachers would like to have (within reason!) in museums to make it easier for them to lead a class and keep that class engaged for the length of the visit

Different museums offer a variety of resources (teacher's notes, handling collections, loans boxes, worksheets, suggested activites, INSET) but it is often difficult to get feedback on which are the most useful

Does anyone have any examples of good resources they have used, with reasons for why they were useful? or an example of a really effective and enjoyable museum experience?

#2 DRC

DRC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

I've used loan boxes - and found them quite useful - simply for the fact it was much easier for a museum to put together artefacts than trying to gather them together myself. The only problem was that they were limited in the choice of boxes available.

Generally, I've found the worksheets offered by museums pretty dull and un-interesting to students, and too generic to be of much use in the context of a particular curriculum.
"One man can make a difference" Wilton Knight

#3 paul.tipping

paul.tipping

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Best resources I have used is from out local dewsbury museum. For a trifling sum 60p a kid they will recreates a WW2 evacuation lesson (very scary teacher). brilliant. They also supply a guide of what to do prior to visit.
Also National Coal Mining Museum supplies very detailed worksheets to accompany visits (maybe they are good because they were written by a teacher who knows what is needed to keep pupil occupied)

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:58 PM

Recently had a Roman Loan box and the students enjoyed handling the artefacts rather than seeing images of them in a textbook or on the IWB.

We passed feely bags around the room and each student had to describe the artefact in one word...then the class guessed the object. They then listed questions they wanted to know about the object.

Small groups of students then took bags to other classes and teachers and asked them to guess the objects in the bags. They then became the teacher explaining what and how the object was used.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#5 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hmm, I know that worksheets can be v generic as they have to be used by a wide range of groups who may all be studying the same topic but from a slightly different perspective or level of ability, not an excuse for a dull worksheet but often the truth

Many museums do have professional Education Officers who would welcome the feedback and could help to tailor your visit or may ask for your help in designing a better worksheet or an alternative format of visit.They may also be able to direct you to other museums that have alternative collections of loans boxes, I know many museums here in the North East would certainly do that

#6 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

When we did some work on the Holocaust - by far the greatest aspect that had an impact was a survivor of the camps, this was also true for when we had 2 d-day veterans into school as well. There is nothing quite like 1st hand history and the pupils were extremely impressed to be able to question people who had been there. Both occasions left a lasting impression on me and the pupils involved.

I realise this is very difficult for many parts of history - but guest speakers with a passion and indepth knowledge of specific areas of history accompanied by atefacts has always been a winner for me.

The other great thing about this type of resource is the reduction in time, planning and often cost.

Will

#7 Richard Smart

Richard Smart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

Some of the best experiences I have had with students were in museums where they were able to follow the experiences of a particular individual and how their lives were impacted by the culture/event the museum describes. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum does this as does the Great War Museum in Ypres.

This approach to taking the kids to a museum keeps them interested and can be complemented by seeing simulations at the museum, experiencing replica clothing, or artifacts.

I think that anything that personalizes the experience and makes them realize that they are studying human history rather than the history of inanimate objects increases the power of the experience.

I love the idea of loan boxes and survivor/veteran/personal experience talks to the kids.
Richard Smart
Oakland Mills High School
Columbia, MD, USA.

http://learningsmart.org

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England." - Sir Winston Churchill

#8 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

thanks to eveyone who replied on this topic, just a bit of extra information for those of you lucky enough to live and teach in the North East

The North East Regional Museums Hub are starting a network for teachers of history and museum educators, giving them a chance to get together, discuss issues and enjoy interesting CPD. The first meeting takes place on Wednesday 26th September 4.30-6.30pm at Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens. We will be looking at the Remembering Slavery exhibition with members of the Learning Team, taking part in a handling session and there will be a talk from Dr Elizabeth O'Donnell looking at the free trade movement in the North East.

The Third annual History Teachers Conference is taking place at Bede's World Museum in Jarrow on Friday 23 November, our keynote speaker is Christine Counsell, there will be a session led by Ben Walsh and the opportunity to take part in a variety of workshops.

If anyone would like more information on either of these events please contact me

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'm going to the network meeting and the History Conference at Bede's World.
:teacher:

#10 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

I'm going to the network meeting and the History Conference at Bede's World.
:teacher:

so am I hope to speak to you in person. :woo:
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#11 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

will be good to see you there, you will both be conference veterans!

#12 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Sadly I expect to be riding on the roller coasters at Flamingoland so will miss the network meeting. Shame as I expect it'll be really good.
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#13 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

enjoying yourself or working? either way it is no excuse! :rolleyes:

#14 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

will be good to see you there, you will both be conference veterans!

Do we get a medal or something for attending three conferences???? :lol:

#15 Sarah Allen

Sarah Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

will see what I can do! :first:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users