2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

Just picked up this story from Merlin John's website:

The BBC has frozen the roll-out of five new elements of content for its BBC Jam online education service for children pending a review of its performance early in January. The decision icame after intervention by the Government and the European Union.

A BBC spokesperson said, "We have agreed in principle with the Government that there should be a review of BBC Jam content, to check how well it is meeting the terms of its approval. The details should be settled early in January but in the meantime the BBC has agreed to suspend temporarily the roll-out of any further Jam content." The materials that have been held back are PE (7-11), Geography (11-14), History (7-11), English (7-11) and Statistics (14-16).

It is understood that Europe still has concerns over competition issues surrounding BBC Jam, formerly the BBC Digital Curriculum. This was the reason for the millions of pounds worth eLearning Credits made available to schools for digital content to counter fears that free materials from the BBC, paid for by the licence fees, would distort the education ICT market.

I'm not sure if this means there is some great content waiting for us primary history teachers, but this does seem to suggest that the BBC isn't allowed to make its free stuff available for danger of forcing commercial enterprises out of business. This all seems a bit dodgy. ELCs were used to support companies - if the other side of the bargain isn't happening then the ELC system is completely unbalanced.

We've lost excellent GCSE History content from the BBC, and now finished content appears to be being prevented from being published. I just hope 'held back' doesn't really mean held back for a couple of months so suppliers can sell their wares at the BETT show. I suspect there is more to it than that, but I cannot help being a bit cynical.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

I spoke to one of the head Jam guys regarding their AR (Augmented Reality) products. These were mouth watering products - I had to be restrained from shouting in the meeting 'gimme gimme NOW' A tad disappointing and worrysome for the future.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#3 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

On a slightly different note this is a real shame - as union rep the recent DfEs document on planning for a flu pandemic mentions the use of BBC jam in providing remote learning in the case of school closure. If as the governement do believe a pandemic will hit and schools will close it seems silly to stop the issueing of a resource that could greatly help both schools, staff and children if such an event did occur in th near future.

Will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users