• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sue king

sue king

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

year 9 options night is fast approaching and the numbers taking history are on the decline. does anyone have any good posters, powerpoints or ideas they could share?

Also we currently do American West and pupils are suggeting that this doesn't interest them. I am considering changing to Germany (although we do briefly do this in year9) Has anyone changed their gcse options recently? has it had an impact on numbers and if yes what did you change to?

Thanks

Sue

#2 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hi Sue,
we are currently going through the process of moving from SHP to Modern World. For Options evening I just covered the walls with info and posters about the new course and had a rolling powerpoint on the go from the HA.
From what I gather from other colleagues, it doesn't really matter if you go over Germany again after covering it in Yr 9. The familiarity of the content could be reassuring!

#3 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

On option evening parents visit the classroom to see student work. Year 10 have made me some GCSE recruitment posters to encourage Y9, the option booklet has all the info, including statements from past students. I also have a parents guide flyers on the course to give out that includes content, tips, useful websites....
I have a rolling powerpoint as well on Modern World History, that includes content, skills, methods, links to careers, famous historians...might put some 40s tunes on too.......I have a giant display in corridor on history as a career (been there since Sept)...........I've really pushed the Y9 with exciting lessons since Sept and refer to GCSE grades with NC levels when marking essays. I've advised students that they need a top level 5 before they even consider the subject if they hope to attain a C grade (as you would when giving offers for uni), I'm even thinking about running some GCSE type mystery and source evaluation skills on the night........ on top of showing exemplar coursework, exam questions, textbooks, student folders....

I am very fair with options. I tell students to only opt if they enjoy the subject and want to continue for the next 2 years...I insist they should never opt for the subject because a friend is doing it...and I never tell them the course is easy, I tell them that yes it is a hard course, but an exciting challenge.....if it was easy, it would be boring!
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#4 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

I am very fair with options. I tell students to only opt if they enjoy the subject and want to continue for the next 2 years...I insist they should never opt for the subject because a friend is doing it...and I never tell them the course is easy, I tell them that yes it is a hard course, but an exciting challenge.....if it was easy, it would be boring!

annot agree more with this.

Also have you looked at the History movie poster thread in the forum, I am putting a few around school just to put ideas into pupils minds.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#5 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

Movie Poster link

The movie posters are fantastic...

#6 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:34 PM

Option Evening this week:
Spurred on my everyone's suggestions

Parents and students are touring the school visiting rooms:

PowerPoint on course on roll on IWB
why study history - basic reasons- concept map of skills (see first attachment)
Parents guide to the course (see second attachment)
Music from 1940s playing
The fab movie posters from the other thread dotted up the corridor.
Careers in History display (see third attachment)

I've made some sorting cards on mysteries based on Al Capone and Why Hitler came to power? Students are to ask questions about the information given.

I shall also have some Modern World Poster teasers for Paper 1, and Paper 2. The students are to make guesses on post its.

I can't seem to upload because of the size of the scanned images I've tried for awhile:

For Paper 1:
Why did USA refuse to support World Peace? (gap in bridge source)
Should we alwasys believe political promises? (Chamberlain/Peace for our time)
Why did a peace treaty make this little boy cry? (class of 1940 source)
What was the Cold War? (cold war cartoon)
Why did two shots from this gun trigger the First World War? (Princip's gun/F Ferdinand)
What caused this? (trenchfoot image)
Why were people excited about war? (outbreak image)

For Paper 2:
Prejudice, intimidation, racism - Why (KKK photo)
$Millions to $zero in one day. Why? (image of old rich man selling apples)
Why are New Yorkers queuing for bread? (breadline)
why did 40 million emigrate to USA (immigrants)
What put Capone behind bars? (capone)
Why is this man tipping alcohol down the drain? (prohibition image)

wheelbarrow of cash for shoes/cup of coffee source (wheelbarrow with money)
Why did the money becoem worthless? (wallpapering money)
How did Hitler come to power? (soldier in 1916 to leader image)
Why did these men pay to sleep here? (sleeping on the line)

...and as a back up I've got a History quiz for parents to complete.

Attached Files

#7 AdamCrawte

AdamCrawte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

I have created a film using Moviemaker that I use at all of our open evenings. It is about 7 minutes and I just stick it on repeat all night. I causes a lot of interest and gives us an edge over most departments by cathcing the imagination of Parents and kids.

I am currently sharing it through All Peers and at 50 meg it is a tad too big to e-mail. To sign up to All Peers follow this link but you will need to be running Mozilla Firefox as your browser, my name is acrawte
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users