3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackie Topham

Jackie Topham

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Help - I am trying to edit a video my pupils have made on the Great Fire of London.
We used a Sony 106 Handycam and can transfer the information from my camera to my laptop but I cant edit the clip in Windows Movie Maker as it says "the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer." :(
I have tried the Windows website and found the section on Codec but it had me baffled!

So can any of you "technical" people help? The tech guys at school just muttered something about being very busy and I could really do with some help ...

Cheers

(p.s I know I would have no problems with an Mac.........)

#2 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Try XPcodecpack: http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

If that doesn't work, we at History Geeks (Not-So) Anonymous will need more info about the specific error you get... ;)

Doug :hehe:

#3 D Rew

D Rew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Codec stands for 'compressor-decompressor'. Since video files contain such huge amounts of information, they need to be compressed and subsequently decompressed by your computer/DVD player. The most common compression format is MPEG; for example, MPEG-2 is used in the manufacture of video DVDs. Another very popular format is DivX because it is so efficient. Did MovieMaker specific which codec you are missing? Your Sony Handycam has probably used the DV codec to record.

#4 Jackie Topham

Jackie Topham

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the help.

Downloaded the XPCodepack Doug and it has worked a treat!

Just spent the last hr trying to edit my clips and play them back full size and have finally have had a success...

Cheers
:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users