• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

So - how has it been for you? What have been the highlights? I can see that Doug and Nick have run their session http://teaching.mrbe...rning-problems/

What about any others? Do keep us poor souls unable to attend the event updated :) :icecream:

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

What about any others? Do keep us poor souls unable to attend the event updated :) :icecream:

The lack of wireless access meant 'live blogging' was out of the question, unfortunately! Nick and I delivered our workshop twice and it seemed to be well received. It was great to put some more faces to names from the forum. There's also some really innovative stuff out there which I'm very much looking forward to putting into action. I shall be posting reflections on my blog in the very near future!

The SHP Conference is something that should be on everyone's calendar. Get yourself there in 2008 by hook or by crook... :)

Doug :hehe:

#3 Rachel Thornhill

Rachel Thornhill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

I'm not sure if this is a reply or a new topic, but anyway...

I've not been to the SHP conference for the last two years as it coincides with a school fieldtrip I regularly go on. The timing of the conference (for me) isn't the best - I would much prefer it being at, or closer to, the start of the academic year. I came back from it two years ago with the view that it is the best CPD I have ever had. The problem is, despite my best efforts and intentions, the start of the summer holiday two weeks later means that everything I bring back with very good intentions to implement has a tendency to be forgotten about come the start of September!

I could be alone in this view and I imagine the timing of the conference is a means of bringing the academic year, and everything we develop over the course of it, together. I'm just a realist in that I know my motivation to implement all the excellent learning from the SHP conference is unlikely to be a success at this stage in the year!

I guess I'll just have to be more motivated in the summer from now on!

Edited by Rachel Thornhill, 08 July 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

Just got back home....

Long drives after 3 days at TASC drinking copious amounts of Guinness, attending too many workshops, Plenary sessions and 'networking' are not good for the body!

However it was good (as always!). Was brilliant to see some old faces and meet new people (hopefully you all liked me...or if you didn't you were too polite to say so!) too.

I'll post properly on my thoughts, feelings etc about the workshops I attended over the next few days or so; need to get sorted out and collapse now.

Paul / Gorbash
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#5 Karen Riches

Karen Riches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

Conference was fantastic - but knackering! I feel slightly more human though after having a couple of hours sleep once I got back, (thank goodness I don't live in London or somewhere further!)

Doug and Nick's Wikis & Blogs workshop was fantastic, (I'll be using audacity next year for sure). Dan's workshop on the black footballer/soldier Walter Tull was brilliant too.

Both gave LOADS of ideas to tranfer into lessons and reminded me of a few things I've used but forgotten about too - such as using Photostory3 with KS3 pupils instead of Moviemaker which I use at KS4.

Like Doug said it was great to put faces to names on the forum (and chat to lurkers) ;)

I can highly recommend the conference - I'll be doing my best to go again next year.

Edited by Karen Riches, 08 July 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#6 Roy Huggins

Roy Huggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Many thanks to all those who attended our seminar on developing interactive teaching and learning styes using ICT. You can find out more information and resources from the following link, which is in the seminar list below:

http://www.schoolhis...amp;#entry66427

Another big thank you to all those who also shared resources, it was a pleasure and don't forget to give them away as soon as possible!

I would also like to take my hat off to the new rising star of SHP - Emma Norcliffe - whose workshop on thinking skills was outstanding and very oversubscribed! :u star:

It was great meeting everyone and thanks Dan for organising the curry. SHP would not be SHP without Dan!

Kind Regards

Roy :jester:
PS I now need a new hard drive as I've filled up my 250 gigs! Time to do some sorting and organising! :first:

Edited by rhuggins, 08 July 2007 - 07:10 PM.

"Men are disturbed, not by the things that happen, but by their opinion of the things that happen." - Epictetus

#7 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

PS I now need a new hard drive as I've filled up my 250 gigs! Time to do some sorting and organising! :first:

And before Nick, Doug or anyone else says anything here....yes I'm a sad file sharer too (see Nick's 'many' photos of me for evidence!) but at least I was using the bar for it's proper purpose- unlike Roy. ;)

On a more serious note- some cracking workshops this year; I got lots of good ideas etc and it's just a shame that I felt it necessary to walk out of one workshop (those who were there know which one I mean!). It could have been so much more than it was and hopefully Chris / Ian can find somebody else to do a similar workshop next year which will be of more practical use.

Paul

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

Photos are up on the facebook page - search for schoolhistory.co.uk :)

#9 Karen Riches

Karen Riches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Massive thanks to Roy for the resources. Just been browsing through the 63gb he downloaded onto my hard drive! Did you sleep on Sat night Roy?! Still can't get over how so much stuff was tranferred when you got the hard drive at midnight and had it back to me by breakfast!
Much appreciated,
Karen :flowers:

#10 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Can I add my thanks to everyone for joining in with the less-serious parts of our Friday session - seeing all the paper aeroplanes flying towards us was very entertaining! The assistants/volunteers were invaluable too - especially those who only sat at our lunch table by chance and were press-ganged into it (thank you Karen!).

I wish I had been able to stay for the rest of the weekend - Martin's Pirates workshop had me ready to plunder plenty more ideas!

What else did I miss?

Donald

#11 Ian Dawson

Ian Dawson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

Can I add my thanks to everyone for joining in with the less-serious parts of our Friday session - seeing all the paper aeroplanes flying towards us was very entertaining! The assistants/volunteers were invaluable too - especially those who only sat at our lunch table by chance and were press-ganged into it (thank you Karen!).

I wish I had been able to stay for the rest of the weekend - Martin's Pirates workshop had me ready to plunder plenty more ideas!

What else did I miss?

Donald

Many thanks, Donald and Sarah, for getting the conference off to such a great start - superb - but creating a major problem for us in coming up with a start of equal impact next year.

If anyone has any feedback they want to pass on direct to Chris or myself (e.g. that chap on Saturday night needs pensioning off/a better dress allowance) then please contact us by email or forum message.

And we'd be interested in suggestions for workshops and plenaries ahead of our October planning meeting for the next conference.

And many thanks to everyone who came for helping it all go so smoothly and with such a positive atmosphere (even those who skulked in the bar on Saturday evening for fear of being press-ganged into taking part.)

Ian

#12 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

And many thanks to everyone who came for helping it all go so smoothly and with such a positive atmosphere (even those who skulked in the bar on Saturday evening for fear of being press-ganged into taking part.)

Ian

But the Guinness was so good, the company was convivial and Spinal tap were on TV! It was a close call but the lure was just too great I'm afraid...

Paul

#13 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

But the Guinness was so good, the company was convivial and Spinal tap were on TV! It was a close call but the lure was just too great I'm afraid...

Paul

Indeed, the bar managers suggestion of Spinal Tap's 'Stonehenge' as a decent starter activity was historical excuse enough to remain in the bar!

Hope everyone enjoyed the curry. Amazing how many places didn't want to take a booking for 15 teachers... even a takeaway had refused to sell to us before I finally found somewhere!

#14 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Amazing how many places didn't want to take a booking for 15 teachers... even a takeaway had refused to sell to us before I finally found somewhere!

[/quote]

No surprises about the booking!! Obviously know a rowdy, ill-behaved profession when they are taking bookings!!

I would like to add my hearty congratulations and record how impressed I was with the SHP Conference 07. As a Conference 'virgin' so to speak, I found it an enormously firendly, equal and open gathering of historians and history teachers which is something not present in many gatherings.

The workshops were mindblowing, I didnt hear anyone with a critical word or complaint the entire weekend, and so many busy people willing to help out a novice. Came away seriously humbled and armed with more ideas than I thought possible.

I have written up my notes from my workshops and plenary sessions as part of my arm-twisting to get school to pay for the weekend. If anyone else has a similarly Stalinist bureaucracy to contend with I am happy to email this on to you, providing you are who you say you are, and appear on the list of SHP attendees. I regret been unable to post it freely, but for some at SHP idea are their income so it seems fair to restrict access.

I will say that the Intro session really set the pace and tone for an excellent weekend, I wish I'd been able to write as fast as the ideas were eing thrown out. Also Joanne Philpott's A Level, and Ian Luff's Y9 Active sessions were fantastic!! So much that deserves praise and mention, and so little time and space.....

I fully expect to be a Conference regular...

NeilM
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#15 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

Photos uploaded to Flickr...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users