#1 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi All,

I've just been zapped by some adware that tells me I have various worms and viruses and then takes me to a webpage to download a program to get rid of it. McAfee didn't pick it up and has not found it after a full scan. I also downloaded Lavasoft and that didn't find it either.

Any advice as to which software to use (preferably free!).

Cheers

Chris
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

Two options here - don't forget that some spyware helpfully identifies itself as anti-spyware - i.e. reports that you are virus and spyware laden and then tells you to download their program to fix all your problems. It then is spyware. :curse:

I would suggest the following:

1. Update McFee ( ;) ) and run it all again. I've personally never been that impressed by the McAfee range, but it does do the job
2. Download and run Windows Defender - this is free - http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx
3. Download and run the free AVG anti-spyware: http://free.grisoft....doc/20/us/frt/0

I'd recommend not having more than one anti-virus program running at any one time as this does slowdown your system. However, there is no harm having more than one anti-spyware program installed. You don't have to have these running all the time, but it is quite good to set them to run from time-to-time.

Other providers also have free scanners - e.g. Symantec. Obviously the trick there is that you run their program, it identifies issues and then gets you to pay for their program. Not exactly too far away from spyware itself ;)

Until very recently we used ESET Nod32 but that got some poor reviews which was disappointing as I thought it was great. I'm in two minds what to go for next but as I'm currently typing this on our Mac I don't need to worry that much ;)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Andrew

AVG identified one piece of spyware but there is another one still there. Neither AVG, Windows Defender nor McAfee will get rid of it. I can get Sophos from work. Do you think this will be any better than McAfee?

It's starting to fry my brain. :curse:

Chris
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#4 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that Sophos didn't get it either but ESET Nod32 did. I'm just using their trial at the mo' but it does seem pretty impressive.

Chris

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Excellent. I think I'll go back to the Eset/NOD thing - it is a bit strange with lots of extra bits and pieces but it was brilliant while I was using it and didn't slow the PC down at all. There was an awful review of it recently though, but your experience is a much better review for me :)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#6 Melanie T

Melanie T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

I use spybot - search and destroy - free to download and use
It was recomended by a friend of mine who is computer programmer
It picks up stuff that McAfee didnt
Hope this helps

Mel

0 user(s) are reading this topic