• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

My head has had one of those 'good ideas' recently that come her way from time to time and I wondered whether anyone else had ever experienced what is proposed. The suggestion is that the entire AQA short course syllabus is taught AND coursework completed within one week in the summer term. The idea being that soon after the whole Year 10 group (about 240) can take the exam. Has anyone else out there had to do this?

#2 sarahn

sarahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

can't say i have, but shout if you would like any resources.

#3 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

can't say i have, but shout if you would like any resources.

That would be great. I've got to devise the activity for the y10 group quite soon and find a way for 9 teachers to teach the syllabus in one week so anything that you have would be really appreciated.

#4 gav

gav

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

This sounds like an idea that would come straight from the head. Will he/she be helping with the delivery? You'll have 25 hours to get it all done. This won't be enough time. We are delivering the OCR short course for the first time this year - at an hour a week over year ten. So we get in theory 39 hours plus homework. This will be nowhere near enough time to cover everything.

Why is the head doing this? Surely it is not because it is the best way to deliver a range of important issues. You need time to develop the students views on a range of issues and time for reflection. Your head is obviously not taking this subject seriously to propose such a solution.

Despite this, you still have to do it. I'm not sure how AQA differs from OCR. I know it has one piece of 1500 word coursework as opposed to two pieces of 800 words. Will you really have time to mark and moderate all the coursework by May when it is to be sent off? We are putting most of our efforts into doing the coursework well over a number of weeks and into the source booklet which is released in February. Take a look at past exam reports and mark schemes and concentrate your efforts on those areas which could earn the most marks - you cannot cover everything.

#5 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

To the casual reader, this seems like a box well and truly ticked, and little else.

Heaven forbid anyone should actually develop through citizenship or any other teaching and learning route.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#6 Giles Falconer

Giles Falconer

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

And, of course, you'll be responsible for any underacheievement!

I'd file this idea under 'not in a blue moon'...

#7 Christine

Christine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

I have an hour a week over Y10 & 11. I do have to blend in PSHE and Careers too. Even so 25 hours isn't enough time. Things need to be taught over a period of time anyway in order for the kids develop their understanding. Good luck

#8 Karen Miller

Karen Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

Sorry I think this is ridiculous. I have one lesson a week over 2 years. I get everything finished and will this year have more time to do the sources booklet (OCR) and finish the courswork properly. What is your head trying to achieve?
Karen
Such is life!

#9 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

This sounds like an idea that would come straight from the head. Will he/she be helping with the delivery? You'll have 25 hours to get it all done. This won't be enough time. We are delivering the OCR short course for the first time this year - at an hour a week over year ten. So we get in theory 39 hours plus homework. This will be nowhere near enough time to cover everything.

Why is the head doing this? Surely it is not because it is the best way to deliver a range of important issues. You need time to develop the students views on a range of issues and time for reflection. Your head is obviously not taking this subject seriously to propose such a solution.

Despite this, you still have to do it. I'm not sure how AQA differs from OCR. I know it has one piece of 1500 word coursework as opposed to two pieces of 800 words. Will you really have time to mark and moderate all the coursework by May when it is to be sent off? We are putting most of our efforts into doing the coursework well over a number of weeks and into the source booklet which is released in February. Take a look at past exam reports and mark schemes and concentrate your efforts on those areas which could earn the most marks - you cannot cover everything.

You're absolutely right on all counts! I think the most effective way of teaching this subject is to teach it in a say Y10 and then the short course RE in Y11. After all if concentrated courses were really the answer every subject would be taught this way. You're also right that I just have to get on with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly going to have to teach to the exam and maybe 30-40% will achieve an A*-C.

#10 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

Sorry I think this is ridiculous. I have one lesson a week over 2 years. I get everything finished and will this year have more time to do the sources booklet (OCR) and finish the courswork properly. What is your head trying to achieve?
Karen

Who knows? My guess is that she wants to free up some time in Year 11. I'll keep you posted!

#11 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

To the casual reader, this seems like a box well and truly ticked, and little else.

Heaven forbid anyone should actually develop through citizenship or any other teaching and learning route.

Quite. I can't imagine personal development is at the very top of the agenda but there you go.

#12 Tony M

Tony M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

[quote name='Giles Falconer' date='Nov 19 2007, 03:13 PM' post='69346']
And, of course, you'll be responsible for any underacheievement!

I'd file this idea under 'not in a blue moon'...

Of course that goes with the 197 gross a month! Actually I was asked to include the students achievement, just as every other teacher here has, against FFTD targets as part of my PM. Does this happen anywhere else?

#13 gav

gav

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

Of course that goes with the 197 gross a month! Actually I was asked to include the students achievement, just as every other teacher here has, against FFTD targets as part of my PM. Does this happen anywhere else?

WHAT?

As far as I am aware there is no FFT data available for short course citizenship. How on earth have you ended up with this as part of your PM? Firstly, your targets are supposed to be negotiated not imposed. Secondly, how on earth can you be given this a target when it is an experiment? - you only have 25 hours to do the course. Other GCSEs and therefore FFT targets are based on 100-200 hours teaching time. This is just not fair. Thirdly there is no requirement to have a data-based target in your PM.

I'd be looking for a new job and leave just before Easter; then who would deliver the course?

Your head is abusing the PM system - what has your union rep to say about this?

#14 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hi.
Yes it does happen elsewhere. Incidentally I clearly work at a frighteningly similar school - such an idea is in the offing from our Dear Leader. I've had a tip-off, and am spending much of the working day hiding under the stairs and not using email.

As to PM, we're too forced to accept data-targets. In fairness nothing is ever done with PM, everyone automatically passes, and moves up a grade, the good the bad and the plain indifferent. No one has been trained how to carry it out (including me who PMs two junior colleagues..the policy is composed by someone I suspect to be functionally illiterate...it actually is meaningless in the proper sense of that word.) Combine this with a weak and indecisive, openly divided SLT with an equally weak Union....the only is to find a decent school. Which is what I am on with at the mo.

The whole of our Y11 (280 kids) have just been put in for Adult Literacy and the Adult Numeracy tests online, and of course are sitting now, GCSE General Studies, to be further followed next year with all subjects, what I've mentioned plus short course RE and Citizenship.

It's in a bid to stave off a number of things. Our CVA is beneath 1000, also we're only just above the National Challenge level of 30%, and the Govt is pushing an 'Eight or more' initiative with GCSE C and above. Whilst there are hoops of fire we're simply told how high to leap.

As has resonantly pointed out all this has nothing to do with the kids, who will be naturally defensive, suspicious and a minority will refuse to take part, seeing nothing in this venture for them. I can hardly blame them.

Down the spiral we go....

NeilM
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#15 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Tony,
Did this idea actually go through?
What were the results like?
Has it happened every year since?
J x