• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JennyHat

JennyHat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

I have a Preconceptions assignment for my PGCE course, basically i have to conduct a study on what history students at KS3/4 have preconcieved ideas on, the most common is castles, eg they draw a Disney castle instead of a traditional Motte and Bailey castle. However everyone seems to be doing Catsles as it fits perfectly with the schemes of work at the moment. It can be any year and any topic between now and feb!!any ideas would be very grateful!!

#2 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

I have a Preconceptions assignment for my PGCE course, basically i have to conduct a study on what history students at KS3/4 have preconcieved ideas on, the most common is castles, eg they draw a Disney castle instead of a traditional Motte and Bailey castle. However everyone seems to be doing Catsles as it fits perfectly with the schemes of work at the moment. It can be any year and any topic between now and feb!!any ideas would be very grateful!!

You'd probably get a good deal of consensus on things like Nazism etc., and divergence on such things as Victorian women. Not sure what your essay title is, of course, but accounting for these differences (including in terms of accuracy) could prove fruitful.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#3 Richard Smart

Richard Smart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

What about...

Robin Hood (disney and BBC obfuscation!)
King Arthur (Bloody disney again)
Columbus
Hitler
World War II
Knights (in shining armor)
Pocahontas (Disney crap again again).
D-Day (That video game and Saving Privates)

Over here it would be...

Columbus
MLK
JFK
and other US Heroes ;)

Think of any topic that has a recent popular movie, or video game about it and you should find the kids full of preconceptions...

Richard
Richard Smart
Oakland Mills High School
Columbia, MD, USA.

http://learningsmart.org

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England." - Sir Winston Churchill

#4 sarahn

sarahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

pearl harbour!
sarah

#5 Richard Smart

Richard Smart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

I used your Medieval assignment with my AP students this week... they loved drawing their castles and it led to a great discussion. I showed them a clip from the Holy Grail too...

Great idea!
Richard Smart
Oakland Mills High School
Columbia, MD, USA.

http://learningsmart.org

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England." - Sir Winston Churchill

#6 Emma Norcliffe

Emma Norcliffe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

Many moons ago when I did something similar for my PGCE I did it on preconceptions of sources and how they are utilized by students. For example, pupils think secondary sources are less useful than primary sources etc. They don't see the historical value in what a source doesn't tell you as opposed to what it does tell you. I think I also looked at the differences in how pupils perceived the usefulness of pictorial sources. Preconceptions of sources is such a wonderfully generic topic I reckon you could make it fit any period of time.

Hope that helps.

Emma

#7 JennyHat

JennyHat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for your help, i decided to do knights - just got to write my essay now!!

#8 Joel Thorpe

Joel Thorpe

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

You could always quote a la "1066 and all that". The whole conception of good/bad rulers always causes me to titter and also illustrates that there is nowt new in our beautiful subject.

"I've spent my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest of it, I squandered!"George Best

"Oh well, what the hell!!" - Hungry Joe

#9 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for your help, i decided to do knights - just got to write my essay now!!

Hi Jenny - stick your resources on the historyshareforum with a little explanation - it was a good lesson!!
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#10 JennyHat

JennyHat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi Jenny - stick your resources on the historyshareforum with a little explanation - it was a good lesson!!

Its on there now!take a look!

#11 Joel Thorpe

Joel Thorpe

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Its on there now!take a look!

Excellent it is too. Looks like you are going to make a good teacher to me!

Thanks for the stuff!!

"I've spent my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest of it, I squandered!"George Best

"Oh well, what the hell!!" - Hungry Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users