#1 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to make a movie with photos and films using Movie Maker. However, it keeps crashing when I try to do ANYTHING. I think this is because it's fairly long - about 20mins. When I've done 5 minute jobs its been very slow but has worked.

Is there a good alternative (free ideally but would consider buying) that can handle big projects?

As ever, ideas gratefully received...

Chris
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

I use Pinnacle Studio for bigger projects. Handles things well and has loads more features than moviemaker.

#3 ahrenfelt

ahrenfelt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

I use Pinnacle Studio for bigger projects

I use that too but have recently tried out Ulead VideoStudio after a few of my students successfully made use of Green Screen technology. See Baba-roo Productions (select The Jeffersons or Grandma's Story), rather good don't you think (my acting that is :woo: )

Johannes

#4 Richard Smart

Richard Smart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

I have just started using Pinnacle. It works fine, but is a memory hog. Make sure you have at least 2gig.

Ignore the bad reviews online... I trusted Mr Humphreys and it worked out okay for me :lol:
Richard Smart
Oakland Mills High School
Columbia, MD, USA.

http://learningsmart.org

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England." - Sir Winston Churchill

#5 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Adobe Premiere Elements 4 (released last month) is the best I've ever used. Interestingly it now behaves and looks like a powerful version of Moviemaker. Allows import of virtually all formats and exports in everything from Flash to mobile phones. Great advanced features like green screen, picture in picture etc. and allows import and export of HD. But you need 1g of RAM or 2g for HD.
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

European School Brussels III
International School History

#6 ahrenfelt

ahrenfelt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Adobe Premiere Elements 4 (released last month) is the best I've ever used.

Now that's got to be good then :D .

Noticed that it's only a few quid; just started downloading the trial version from Adobe. Any idea if it supports 'green sceen'?

/ Johannes

#7 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

Not used Abobe for green screen but my pinacle kit is set up for it - though I've not tried it yet....

#8 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I must admit - green screen looks the way forward for making brilliant resources but the kit costs and trying to find the acessories such as decent microphones etc can be a pain.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#9 ahrenfelt

ahrenfelt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

but the kit costs and trying to find the accessories such as decent microphones etc can be a pain.

Screens, if you can settle with half-decent stuff, needn't be too expensive. Just pop down and get yourself green card for 3-5 quid and that should do it. The students that created their movies using green screens did just that, see their Miami Vice for a rather good example (non-history related... ;) )

Microphone is a different issue if you want top-of-the-range outcome(s); I use cheap ones and the quality is too I guess.

/ Johannes

#10 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just to come back to this topic but I'm sure there's another movie making program from Microsoft which is free to use? I'm watching my students make films on highway robbery but our network's dying on the students and keeps causing each student's work to crash. we need a better alternative.

Does anyone know of free online video editing? I saw a very simple version on something called shmash.tv and it looks great but I wonder if there's anything similar that I could use.
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#11 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Microsoft also do photostory which might be the one you're thinking of. Works fine but is restricted to images + audio (ie no video imports). Can be handy though and is certainly accessible enough for the kids to get to grips with quickly. I used that when I made my william the conqueror video.

#12 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Ever used Power Director?
A colleague gave me a copy which does a great job of using still and moving picture together with a soundtrack.

#13 Jason Summer

Jason Summer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

I usually use Windows Movie Maker to make simple slideshow for youtube. To burn slideshow to dvd with menu and play on my living room tv, Wondershare Movie Story is my favorite tool. It provides many transitions and menu templates. It saves lots of my time. I've also heard that the top 3 video edting software choices for the PC is Ulead Video Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements and Sony Vegas. These programs cost you a lot, but you can download a free trial from their Web sites.

#14 Mark K

Mark K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

I use Vegas Pro - it's similar to Windows Moviemaker but I find it has a better range of tools for editing. My only issue with it is that I find it difficult to add files from youtube as they often get corrupted. I want to get myself an apple mac instead but funds are low right now :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users