#1 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi chaps,

I'm buying a new computer as my old one can't cope with movie editing etc. and am buying Windows separately. So, with a 2GB Ram mcahine which operating system is better Vista or XP - just interested in the home versions.

Cheers

Chris
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

If it is a new computer and you don't have to pay any more, go for Vista. There isn't really anything to warrant having Vista as everything is really just extra bells and not a lot of whistle but the fact you're getting it on a new PC will mean that it will be more stable and last longer. Good that you mentioned you have 2Gig of memory though - Vista really needs this. Do make sure you purchase the correct version though - you can get what is known as an OEM version at a much cheaper price as it is for your new PC.

Alternatively, do consider other options. Look at the budget you have - does it stretch to getting a Mac? Certainly worth looking at. If it costs more to get Vista, then go for XP. There really isn't much to choose between them, but as Vista gets more established programs will be written to take advantage (or I guess work properly) of / with Vista.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Buy a Mac and dual-boot Mac OSX Leopard and Vista. You will then have the best of both worlds. It works a charm - trust me, I do it! :)

Doug :hehe:

#4 Chris Garratt

Chris Garratt

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for replies...

The problem with a mac is that for what (on paper) is a better spec (2Gig Ram, 320 Gig Hard Drive, 3.0Gz processor and 256mb graphics) I can pay around 450 for a pc with monitor and Windows. Macs are at least 300 more and although my brother-in-law (a network manager) and everyone who has Macs rave about them, I can't justify the price difference at the moment!

Oh for that winning Lottery ticket!!!
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy. Spike Milligan

#5 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

Fair enough - this was why I mentioned about whether it was affordable. If it doesn't cost any more, go for Vista, simply because that will have a longer 'life'. However, if it is more cost effective to purchase XP you honestly don't lose out on anything that useful. Do think about the other costs though - an Office suite and other software. The Mac equivalents for those are much more affordable. Then again, the beauty of open source software means you can pick up a suite for nothing.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#6 Melanie T

Melanie T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

I have just returned from Comet where I have been looking a new laptops, the problem I have is Vista as although it will be my home computer I will need to run some of the software used in school such as activ studio to create new resources as I do most of it at home, activ studio is at the moment not compatable according to ICT tech. This seem to be problem with quite a few types of software although many are staring to move over.
The guy at Comet suggested that I run both Vista and XP on the laptop, is this possible, I have XP and Mircosoft Office already so it would not cost me any more to do this but am unsure of running 2 operating systems. He infomed me that Vista comes pre installed so it is impossible to wipe the hard drive therefore I have to run 2 systems. Any advice? Is this possible? How slow will it be? Any suggestions
The laptop has 250GB hard drive and 3GB of ram. I am also wanting to update my computer to use movie software as my old faithful keeps crashing after many years of good service - hence the toy shopping

#7 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

ActiveStudio IS MAC compatible. I have the install CD on my desk at school which is neither use nor ornament to me as the school system is 100% PC based. If you have the install serial number for your machine you can download the mAC version of ActivStudio for home use - if you havn't, PM me and I'll send you a usable code.

#8 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

It is possible to have both - known as 'dual booting'. However it isn't really worth it as you only really dual boot to different operating systems such as between XP and Ubuntu (which is a free operating system based on Linux) or XP and Mac OS X (which you get on Macs). Dual booting between Vista and XP is a bit pointless. On a new machine Vista will probably be best as it should all be setup and be working.

I personally feel that Windows XP (with service pack 3 installed) is the most stable Operating System currently - it is what most schools and business continue to use. The Active Studio software is primarily used on XP machines but I am sure it can be made to work with Vista. Vista has some daft (but useful) features where you can make it pretend to be XP so software works. Sort of makes you wonder about the whole point ;)

However, with your specific issue I think your ICT technicians may be getting at the fact that the school installation of Active Studio is perhaps linked to the school's operating system or perhaps even somehow locked down to school use. When I recently updated my Active Studio installation I had to insert the serial number from the board. However, once you've got that - and if you're preparing resources to use on your board - there should be no problem using Active Studio on it, regardless of XP or Vista. There are most definitely workarounds to get Active Studio working on Vista - a quick google search by your ICT support people will find them.

Edited by Andrew Field, 10 November 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#9 Melanie T

Melanie T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for that - a new Laptop with Vista it is, might wait till the sales though so I can try and get a bargain

#10 Martin Ingram

Martin Ingram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

I have a very gucci Sony Vaio vgn-ar41m running vista. Cost over 1,000 new. Have had nothing but trouble with vista. Hangs up, crashes, changes visual settings AND SULKS FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. Have a crappy old dell running XP which is faster, more stable and no bother (apart from the shoddy build quality). Still thinking about wiping vista and reinstalling xp!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin Ingram
Whitehaven School
Cumbria
CA28 8TY

#11 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

However, with your specific issue I think your ICT technicians may be getting at the fact that the school installation of Active Studio is perhaps linked to the school's operating system or perhaps even somehow locked down to school use. When I recently updated my Active Studio installation I had to insert the serial number from the board. However, once you've got that - and if you're preparing resources to use on your board - there should be no problem using Active Studio on it, regardless of XP or Vista. There are most definitely workarounds to get Active Studio working on Vista - a quick google search by your ICT support people will find them.

Just had this issue in my classroom when I was (finally) upgraded from dodgy old laptop (XP) to a new PC (Vista). Everything they need is in the Promethean support section - get them to grab you the resource packs whilst they're at it, no point in not having them... Techies will need the serial number but once thats in, the upgrade is a simple download and run job for them. (And the resources produced on the Vista machine DO work on the XP laptop so can be transferred / shared with colleagues).

#12 Melanie T

Melanie T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for your help
Got the ICT tech on the case.
I ended up buying a new laptop this week so I am taking it in on monday so they can install it for me, also going to put on new office etc so quite happy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users