• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

does anyone have the details for the KS3 2008 curriculm, I want to start planning, but have misplaced the notes I made in November, I am really looking for the threads, as I have a rough idea what I want to do. I would be most grateful.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

QCA stuff attached.

Attached Files

#3 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:25 AM

QCA stuff attached.

Many thanks :flowers:
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#4 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

At SHP someone was waving about a KS3 SOW for the new curriculum - last seen in Doug's hand with the promise of 'I'll scan that in for the forum'.. I can't remember which workshop it came from (not one I went to) - can anyone else? - I am struggling a bit with the meshing of all the concepts, all the skills and all the necessary content. It would be really good if we could share ideas about ways to tackle this. So far all I've done is draw up a big piece of flip chart paper with the six themes on and tried to think how the content fits/overlaps the themes and what we could do where. It is really exciting actually as suddenly it does all seem to hold together, although I haven't worked out how to chop it down, or how to include 'Europe and the World'...!!! Anyone got any further than the flipchart..??

#5 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

Sarah, you are correct, let's blame Doug, it's all his fault!! :P I was suggesting to a few people at SHP that we could use this forum or Doug's historyshareforum to exchange the work that we will all be doing for 2008. I think that would be really helpful as there will be so many of us working on this we should be able to bounce ideas around / not reinvent the wheel.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#6 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:28 PM

At SHP someone was waving about a KS3 SOW for the new curriculum - last seen in Doug's hand with the promise of 'I'll scan that in for the forum'.. I can't remember which workshop it came from (not one I went to) - can anyone else? - I am struggling a bit with the meshing of all the concepts, all the skills and all the necessary content. It would be really good if we could share ideas about ways to tackle this. So far all I've done is draw up a big piece of flip chart paper with the six themes on and tried to think how the content fits/overlaps the themes and what we could do where. It is really exciting actually as suddenly it does all seem to hold together, although I haven't worked out how to chop it down, or how to include 'Europe and the World'...!!! Anyone got any further than the flipchart..??

i'm also struggling to fit it all in, please find my working model, if anyone wants to add to it, or rewrite it, feel free as it is stuck at the moment :curse:

Attached Files

#7 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Tony - your spreadsheet looks very impressive (far more detailed than my flipchart..!) I seem to be starting from the other end a little bit - I am looking at the 'themes' in the Range and Content e.g. Power and Control (or is it Democracy.. not sure); EISW etc.. and then trying to see how content fits that. Is this too complicated that way? - How much of what you've put in your year 7 document were you already doing or is that all new? I do like the way you've got overlaps between the 'themes' though, because obviously they do overlap and that is the weakness of my approach. Anyone else any thoughts about how they are going to go about this?

#8 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for the comment on the spreadsheet, my head claimed that Ofsted criticised the format, but as it did not appear in the report, I think he just did not understand it and wanted to frighten me.

I tried starting from what I wanted to keep, but found the themes got lost.
my idea is to get the framework and then slot in my favorite lessons, then fit in lessons that link them to the theme.
So long as you keep this secret !!?? - I plan to do just one or two lessons on EISW, as my focus is local History, Scotland is easy as we are close, but apart from immigration from we don't have any local links to Wales or Ireland. I am combining two (Castles and Church) topics from this years Y7, to a power of the Church/Crusades topic, so basically I am reordering rather than rewriting, same applies to Y9, but I was not happy with my overview for y8, so half of y8 will be new. I am following the advice given that this is an opportunity to teach more thematically, not to do anything differently.

#9 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

Eh up one and all,

Here's an outline draft of what we've been working on here - a mix of theme and depth study, with a skills focus for each enquiry (which I don't think we added to the typed document but which adorns the blue peter style notes on my wall!) and a literacy/ind learning/g&t supporting Home Learning cycle. The pirates idea will be an adaptation of Martin's SHP workshop - but we will try to use it to tie strands together about Empire rather than open them up I think...

Hope its of some use...

Donald

Attached Files

#10 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Eh up one and all,

Here's an outline draft of what we've been working on here

Donald, as it is really easy to interfere with someone elses hard work (the reason we all teach?) can I suggest a move or two.
1. swap 'How did we win the right to vote?' & PIRATES - reason, parates will be fun, and you will be still enthusiastic Easter time, whereas do you really want to leave your best topic to the disruption of end of year? Also vote topic will lead nicely into Y9.
2. do 'What beliefs were worth dying for?' earlier to link into end of y8 & set up moral high ground for y9, you could also bring the Holocaust forward to link with this, then have two big topics in y9 (moral issues & warfare).

Just ideas, we all think differently, I just wish I had 2 hours in y8 & 9 rather than 1! :curse:

#11 JaneMoore

JaneMoore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

There is an Ian Dawson course coming up after the summer break - see here

Im going to Bristol on 12th Oct - looks good and ID always great

#12 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Have updated my SOW, as I had forgotten about a ceratin Austrian! Also much more detail now. Please feel free to 'improve' it. :teacher:

Attached Files

#13 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks again - all this is helping me to think. I think I may be too hung up on covering 'everything' - looking at Donald's overview it makes me realise how little we can actually cover in that time (like you Tony I am once a week...). Thanks everyone. When my ideas are more coherent I shall post them...

Sarah

#14 DAJ Belshaw

DAJ Belshaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Sarah, you are correct, let's blame Doug, it's all his fault!! :P I was suggesting to a few people at SHP that we could use this forum or Doug's historyshareforum to exchange the work that we will all be doing for 2008. I think that would be really helpful as there will be so many of us working on this we should be able to bounce ideas around / not reinvent the wheel.

Hang on, hang on. I'm still on post-SHP comedown mode here. And I've been on lots of trips for Activities Week. Dear me! I'll get it on the historyshareforum and then let you know when it's on there... :)

Edited to say: the PDF is available for download further on in this thread here! :)

Doug :hehe:

Edited by DAJ Belshaw, 23 July 2007 - 03:32 PM.

#15 Dafydd Humphreys

Dafydd Humphreys

Thinking outside the box...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

I'm throwing my attempt into the mixer now:

Attached Files

My Youtube Channels: <a href="http://www.youtube.c...m/Learnhistory" target="_blank">LearnHistory</a> (RIP) :( and <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory2" target="_blank">LearnHistory2</a> and now <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory3" target="_blank">LearnHistory3</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users