15 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart

Stuart

Stuart Barnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 10:36 PM

In 'Active History at Key Stages 3 and 4' (which I read due to recommendations on the old discussion board) the authors mention a game called 'Medieval Medicine'. They say it is an excellent game and their description of it sounds like just the sort of thing I'd like to try with my Y11s later in the year. I started my investigations but found that, unfortunately, it is not available any more from the publishers. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this game, or could even let me have a copy of it?
Also, does anyone have any other games that they could recommend?

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:14 PM

Could you post the description of the game? Would be able to make use of that kind of idea myself, the game could probably be reconstructed given a bit of time as well.

I've got a revision game that could be adapted for medieval medicine. Based loosely on Monopoly. Chance and Community chest are questions about erm... Chance discoveries and public health. Instead of roads i use places that have some connection to the syllabus. Subtle difference between real monopoly and my version is that answering a question correctly gives the right to buy a property at half price, or if it's already owned the visit is rent free. Students liked it last year but it's still very much in it's development stages as far as I'm concerned. I can forward the questions and rule book as they currently stand if that would be of use.

#3 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:20 PM

Yes please!

Perhaps this is a possibilty of a new setion on one of the three main resources nand ideas sites?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#4 Stuart

Stuart

Stuart Barnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:47 PM

Here is the description of the game 'Medieval Medicine'. Unfortunately the last few sentences are missing because I only photocopied one page of the book whilst I was in the university library. I imagine the game could be pretty well re-constructed from this description, but it would take a fair while and, if we can find someone who has a copy already, why re-invent the wheel?

However, if you do make your own version of this game then please, please, please send me a copy of it. Also, I would be interested in seeing the Monopoly game that you mentioned. Beg beg.

So, to quote from the book:

'Medieval Medicine is a mixture of game and role play and is probably the best thing Jordan and Wood have yet devised. We have seen it operate in many different situations and have never seen it fail. It aims to show pupils the work of the medieval doctor and the plight of medieval patients. Pupils are divided into doctors and patients. Each doctor is given a cure. The doctors’ aim is to sell their cures to as many patients as possible, using all their powers of persuasion. They keep a record of the patients who buy their cures. The winning doctor is not just the one who sells the most cures. Extra points can be won by selling cures to patients who are likely to benefit from the cure.
The ‘patients’ have a variety of illnesses. Their task is to visit the doctors, describe their symptoms, listen to the doctors’ prescriptions and then decide which cures will prove best for their particular complaint.
The simulation is easy to operate. Doctors sit in different parts of the classroom and the patients move about, discussing their problems and deciding on their cures. The activity lasts from 30 minutes to an hour depending on the motivation of the class.
At the end of the simulation, the teacher, using information which comes with the Pack, reads out the points earned by patients for each cure according to illness. The points are based on modern medical opinions of medieval treatments. The teacher should explain what each of the illnesses was and why some cures were more successful than others. The teacher also needs to stress that some of the ‘cures’, such as blood-letting and sipping mercury, could be lethal while others, such as charms, might have…'

And here it ends - although I remember the book saying something about pointing out to pupils that things like charms may have had a positive effect through the power of belief, and that some herbal remedies might actually have worked.

I think this game sounds brilliant. What does anyone else think?

#5 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:02 PM

Easy enough to try and replicate.

Thackray medical museum (in Leeds) have one section where students are given character cards. Each of these has a different ailment on it. As the student goes around the section (which is based on Leeds during the Industrial revolution) they have to look for different cures. The details about each character includes things such as profession and salary; the different doctors and quacks etc. have different 'cures' at different prices.

I'll dig out all of the different cards that they had on offer (I accidentally picked up one for every character available). I should be able to adapt this to the medieval era relatively easily, adding in a few purely medieval options at the expense of the more recently developed treatments.

I only hope you don't need it in the next week or so! (I'll be teaching the medieval period in about 5 weeks, I'll have it done well before then).

#6 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:49 PM

Basics for a replica of the game should be finished tonight, I had a few bits and pieces already that could be used. Should have it in a useable state within a week - although the pack might not have extensive details about modern cures or the points scoring system sorted out by then. I'll upload the basic version by the end of the week for people to comment on.

#7 Stuart

Stuart

Stuart Barnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:28 PM

Good grief, you move fast!

#8 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:54 PM

.. and is this something we could put online as well? Not as a downloadable resource, but an interactive task. Obviously need to beware of copyright difficulties, but if the game is significantly unqiue...

For example, the Fling the Teacher concept is completely unrelated to any game show ever before... ;)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#9 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 09:44 AM

I suppose it's the sort of activity that would suit Quandary quite well. I'll add it to the list of things to do...

#10 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:01 PM

I've done a basic, no frills demo and uploaded it. Still needs some work doing but I'd rather have a bit of feedback about the stuff that's already built into it before I move on to the next stage of it. In ther it would be workable as it is, I do need to create some additional resources to make it more instantly accessible though... Link to that one is: Medieval Medicine Simulation

I've also uploaded the bits of Medical Monopoly that I've got at home. there are other parts to it but the instructions and some of the questions are in there. The rules are a little long winded though, my students re-wrote the rulebook last year to make it easier to get into. I'll try and find the time to make the neccessary changes to the version I've uploaded.

#11 Stuart

Stuart

Stuart Barnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 04:42 PM

Wow!

I can't believe you've produced something so good in only one night!

My first impression is that it will definitely be something I use with my Y11 class after xmas. I've only had a really quick look at it though cos I'm going out tonight (for the first time since term started!). I'll have a more detailed look over the weekend and will give proper feedback.

I'll also be interested to look at Medical Monopoly over the weekend as well.

Rather in awe at how you got this created so fast and to such a high level of quality.

#12 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 06:20 PM

I'm used to working quickly Stuart and have had plenty of practice creating this type of activity. Once you've got a standard format ready to go it's a case of how fast can you type!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on improvements, it certainly isn't perfected yet! Likewise I'm happy to try and help out with any other active learning resource relating to Medicine through time, any ideas?????

#13 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 01:18 PM

I used the activity pack with 50 Year 10 students this morning.

I managed to get the gym for the lesson, had the doctors in the middle with desks etc. The Patients were given a record sheet for them to enter their opinions of the different treatments prescribed along with the beliefs of the different doctors etc.

6 of the 'doctors' were given a weeks notice so that they could prepare thouroughly for the activity - which they did do in great depth. The second batch of doctors had the role sprung on them - 2 teachers suffered this fate along with 4 Gifted and Talented students who hadn't volunteered last week.

The amount and quality of notes made during the roleplay has astounded me. The whole group were highly motivated and have certainly developed their comprehension of the beliefs that people had at the time.

I've got a few improvements that I'm intending to make to the pack before I use it as revision for Year 11 - introducing a payments system so that the better treatments aren't universally affordable for example.

#14 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

I've done a basic, no frills demo and uploaded it. Still needs some work doing but I'd rather have a bit of feedback about the stuff that's already built into it before I move on to the next stage of it. In ther it would be workable as it is, I do need to create some additional resources to make it more instantly accessible though... Link to that one is: Medieval Medicine Simulation

I've also uploaded the bits of Medical Monopoly that I've got at home. there are other parts to it but the instructions and some of the questions are in there. The rules are a little long winded though, my students re-wrote the rulebook last year to make it easier to get into. I'll try and find the time to make the neccessary changes to the version I've uploaded.

This sounds really exciting, but why can't I get at it??
Jane

#15 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

This sounds really exciting, but why can't I get at it??
Jane

This must be because the original post is over three years old. However, I'm sure Dan can update the link so you can find it. :)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users