Posted 10 October 2002 - 04:24 PM

[COLOR=red]What are the main reasons for women getting the vote? :blink:

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 05:21 PM

Whilst it is difficult to answer in the detail you may require, some reasons why women got the vote - often known as the emancipation of women - are:

- Their contribution to WWI. Many womens pressure groups had supported the war effort, encouraging women to work in occupations previously dominated by men. This showed women could work as well, if not better than many men. (Only those over 30 were allowed to vote - inequality (men could vote if 21 or over) remained. If women had been allowed to vote when 21, there would have been more women voters than men).

- Before WWI there was significant direct action against the current voting laws. However, no changes were passed through Parliament - it was only after WWI that change was seen.

- You also have to examine the change in society as the Twentieth Century progressed. By 1918 demands for equality in voting were no longer radical as they had been in the past.

Whilst we are trying to aviod simply telling you weblinks rather than answering your questions, I would really suggest you consult Spartacus on this - they have detailed information on and about the emancipation of women -
http://www.spartacus...uk/resource.htm
http://www.spartacus...co.uk/W1918.htm

Also:
http://www.historyle...201900_1945.htm

Hope this is of some help.
:)

#3 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 09:28 PM

If I'm right I think that you'll find you're asking the wrongh question because most exam boards set this as coursework, not as an exam question. So there are a number of questions that you need to answer because coursework requires an in depth knowledge and well argued, structured series of answers. The previous answer is useful but you must be more specific at this level.
Edexcel ask three main questions as part of their coursework
1) Why did women campaign for the vote? This requires you to show a knowledge an understanding of women's roles in society, recognising that women's place was seen as being the wife and mother, not someone active in what was seen as "men's business" You need to recognise women were regarded in part as property, something owned by a man. when women married their goods became their husband's when they left him they left it all behind (usually including children). Women could pay taxes but couldn't say how the money was spent and could go to jail but couldn't have a say in how laws were made. Women at the time recognised that the way from powerless and voiceless misery was to be able to vote for MPs.
2) How did the tactics of the suffragettes and suffragists differ? A quick search on google reveals many sites for suffragettes but few for suffragists. Why? Here you need to explain what each group tried to do and explain that the gettes came as aresult of the failure of the gists to make any real progress. I'd highlight this fact and try to plan an answer based on a direct comparison between the two saying the gists wanted a peaceful means to winning the vote but the gettes adopted a more violent approach because they were frustrated at men's refusal to give them the vote. Then describe and compre each side's tactics.
3) World War 1 Did this cause women to win the vote? Probably yes BUT also NO because you have to show what women did during the war and explain how this might have won them the vote but also explain all the campaigns of the gettes and the gists prior to the war and tell your marker if this meant they would have won the vote anyway.
Helpful?
Hope so!

#4 aimee

aimee
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 02:11 PM

why didnt women get the vote between 1900 and 1914?

Edited by aimee, 03 January 2004 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Mr S Drew

Mr S Drew
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

Rather than answer your question straight off, I suggest that you read this.

You can follow some of the internal links in the article and you should be able to work out most of what you want to know.

Come back and ask again if you need more help.

#6 heather1223

heather1223
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

There are quite a few reasons why women got the vote, but I am not sure which ones are the most important :s
Could someone help me please?

#7 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

There are quite a few reasons why women got the vote, but I am not sure which ones are the most important :s
Could someone help me please?

That is something you will have to work out for yourself.

Write down the reasons why women got the vote in a list.
For each one, think of 'assess') what RESULTS that factor had - how effective it was in getting women the vote.

To comparethe importance of the different factors,rank them according to the amount of their results.
Does this make sense?

#8 heather1223

heather1223
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes thank you! :) And where would be the best place too get sources on this topic? I have looked around the internet, but it is difficult to get them.

#9 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yes thank you! :) And where would be the best place too get sources on this topic? I have looked around the internet, but it is difficult to get them.

The Spartacus Schoolnet site is always a good place to look for sources. The index to Women's Suffrage is here. Follow the lkionbks on individuals, groups and issues to find information, usually followed by sources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users