Turning Points of WWII

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:42 AM

hey i have recently broken my arm and my school has sent me out some homework but i need a little bit of help ;) they have sent me home a sheet this is what it says :

Here here are three important points in the second world war. Do some further research on each turning point and make nots, Organising your notes under three headings.

The battle of El Alamein

But i have not learnt about this or D Day could you help me or give me some websites that could help me on this subject

Thx

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your arm. Can you not get into school at all?

Your questions about D Day have been answered in the thread about D Day where you have posted a separate message about it. See here:
http://www.schoolhis...st=0

For information that will help you to do the work on the battle of El Alamein see the following:
The Battle of El Alamein - on the History Learning site
The Battle of El Alamein - from the BBC site - more detailed
There's a good animated map of the North African Campaigns (in which El Alamein was the most important battle) here on the BBC site

What was your third turning point???

#3 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 12:28 PM

i cant yet as i have got to wait till i get a full plaster thx for the sites
what do you mean 3rd turning point?? :S

#4 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:01 PM

Ah. I see (about your arm). Hope you get things sorted very soon .... and that you are not in too much pain.

About the 'third turning point'.... I asked that because your original message said:

Here here are three important points in the second world war. Do some further research on each turning point and make nots, Organising your notes under three headings.

So what was the third one then? So far, you have asked about D Day and the Battle of El Alamein - and that makes two :lol:

#5 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:04 PM

ooooOOOOOO Lol the points are

Backgroung Information

Experience of soldiers

and

Why was it a turning point in the war

thx

#6 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

Yes. I understand what you have to do for each 'turning point', but that is not what I meant.

You originally say that you have to research THREE turning points:
The Battle of El Alamein is one
D-Day is the second one.

.... so what is the third one?

... The Battle of Stalingrad maybe??? :unsure:

#7 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

Ermm Yup it is the thing is i have learnt about the Battle of stalingrad but not El Alaein or the D Day as i have been off for 3weeks so i dont know if we have learnt about this ;)

Edited by bb23, 07 June 2004 - 01:32 PM.

#8 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Look at the instructions your History teacher sent home for you.

Which 3 'turning points' are listed?

Do you already have notes on the Battle of Stalingrad organised under the 3 headings you gave before?

*  Backgroung Information
*  Experience of soldiers
*  Why was it a turning point in the war

If you do, then you only need to complete the work for El Alamein and D-Day.

If not, then do you need websites for the battle of Stalingrad too?
Just in case .... see here:
The Battle of Stalingrad

#9 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

ok thx one more thing
sorry do be a pain but i have no idea what to write for the experience of soldiers does it mean have they been in any wars before? or how many soldiers or what ?

Edited by bb23, 07 June 2004 - 01:51 PM.

#10 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:58 PM

No. It means that you have to say something about what conditions were like for the ordinary soldiers fighting in each battle. That's where films and videos showing battle scenes come in useful - especially if they are documentaries rather then commercial movies.

Perhaps you have watched videos about these three battles in class? Or seen the movie 'Saving Private Ryan' (D-Day)? or watched any of the TV programmes last week about D Day?

I have to go now, but say if you need more help on this - though some of the websites already given you will have some useful info. if you read carefully - and I will reply again later today.

#11 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:00 PM

ok thx i will try to see if i can do it talk to you later Back ground information does tat mean dates and things

Edited by bb23, 07 June 2004 - 02:02 PM.

#12 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:12 PM

also on the bbc site it sayus the desert war so was the Al Elamein battle in a desert as i could write

" The conditions for the soldiers could of been quite bad as it was in a desert and could of had these problems" ect

#13 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

Back ground information does tat mean dates and things

Yes it does. I think you should include basic information about each of your 3 battles. Eg:
  • Date
  • Where it was fought - a sketch map would be useful.
  • The names of the military commanders on each side - if you can.
  • The number of soldiers involved on each side - if you can, and maybe the losses (numbers of men) on each side if you can find those on the sites I have given.
  • Why the place being fought over was so important/its strategic importance.
A simple outline of events during each battle could be useful too - though I am not too sure what exact instructions your teacher will have given you.

#14 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

also on the bbc site it sayus the desert war so was the Al Elamein battle in a desert as i could write

" The conditions for the soldiers could of been quite bad as it was in a desert and could of had these problems" ect

Yes. That's the right idea. Well done.

Give me a bit longer and I'll see if I can find some links to info. about what fighting conditions were like for each battle - though as you have (sensibly) seen you can often figure this out for yourself.... and 'yes' El Alamein was part of the N. Africa campaign which was a 'desert war'.

I know I can find some suitable info for D Day, but am not sure about the other two battles yet. I'll post again though.

Edited by Mrs Faithorn, 07 June 2004 - 03:09 PM.

#15 bb23

bb23
  • Student
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:13 PM

ok thx im doing it on the computer microsoft word so it should be easy to copy and paste and then change the stuff i find into my own words

thx :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users