• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Waltmouse

Waltmouse
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hi

Would somebody mind telling me the long/short term effects of the civil war please I can not seem to find them anywhere else. Thank you VERY much

Waltmouse

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:49 PM

Although we will try to be helpful answering questions on this site, I am afraid we will not "do your work for you" - as is made clear in our Forum Rules.

I don't know any site that does this for you so ... here is some guidance without doing it for you B)

You need to ask yourself what happened in Britain as a result of the wars and if you have studied the topic then you'll know that Charles I was eventually executed and that Parliament/Oliver Cromwell formed a new government.

So for the short term consequences not only do you need to think about the impact of the Wars (many deaths/property damaged etc) but also about what England was like under Oliver Cromwell. For that see:
http://www.historyle...ell_england.htm

In the LONG term then you'll need to think about the impact that the wars and the death of the king had on things like the power of the monarchy (after the restoration of Charles' son Charles II in 1660) and on the nature of 'official' religion. [We are a country that doesn't like 'extremes')

If you have a textbook try looking ahead there to see if there may be anything helpful. Did you not talk about this in class before the work was set either?

I hope that helps a bit?

#3 Waltmouse

Waltmouse
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hi

This is not homework I just wanted to understand them clearer. I am a bit fuzzy on them as I have missed a few days of school because of being ill. So culd somebody please help thank you

Waltmouse

#4 inksplat

inksplat
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

I am researching the English Civil War for a booklet (I've found this site very helpful thank you! :) ) But you put Charles II When I think you meant Charles the I . What's a good site for short and long term consequences? Thanks!

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for finding the typo - I have changed it to make it correct.

On results of the Civil War, how's about this list I did for a book I am writing (you will have to divide them into long and shotr term yourself):

1. After Charles’s execution (1649-60) England was a Republic called ‘the Commonwealth’. At first Parliament ruled the country, but in 1653 Oliver Cromwell dismissed Parliament and ruled as ‘Protector’.

2. The Army became important, and under the Protectorate (1653-1660), England was governed by eleven Major-Generals’ – Cromwell’s government was a military dictatorship.

3. The Puritans became powerful. During the Protectorate, churches were required to be plain and serious, and dancing, the theatre, pubs, gambling, Maypoles and even Christmas were banned.

4. Even poor people became political:
• The Levellers wanted to give ordinary men the vote (Cromwell crushed the movement).
• The Diggers set up a commune where everyone was equal (it was destroyed by a mob).

5. In 1660, Charles I was declared to be a saint by the Church of England.

HOWEVER
The Civil Wars did NOT assure the power of Parliament or Protestantism.
• In 1660 the Protectorate collapsed, and Charles’s son Charles II was restored to the throne.
• Charles II set about undermining the power of Parliament and turning England into a Catholic country.
By the time Charles II died in 1685, it was by no means sure that Parliament or Protestantism in England were going to survive.

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

Something to add to Mr. Clare's thought-provoking list.

In 1655, Cromwell sent Admiral Penn and General Venables to the Caribbean, in order to capture the rich island of Hispaniola from the Spanish. However, when they got there, the English found that the defences were too strong. So, they captured another island instead, Jamaica. When they got home, Penn and Venables were locked in the Tower of London for failing in their mission.

Linked to Mr. Clare's point no. 2. After the Restoration, the English Parliament was very scared at being taken over by the army again. So, they made sure that the army stayed relatively small and under Parliament's control.

Linked to point no.4. People still visit Putney Church to see where the 'Putney Debates' took place in 1647. Why do you think this is still seen an important event?

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users