Gcse History?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#16 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:11 PM

I love the modern history that I'm learning about now, but I've always been interested in ancient Egypt for some strange reason.

I used to want to be an Archaeologist, mostly because of the Ancient Egyptians. That door is still open.

Edited by lex, 26 February 2004 - 07:13 PM.

#17 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

Sorry, forgot to answer you, Alex!

To be honest, you do need to get a bit of background knowledge, but the best way I think to learn about history is to watch good historical programmes, as books can sometimes drag, depending on the writer.

For the first world war, "The Great War" is brilliant.

Or from a fairly factual comedy point of view, "Blackadder Goes Forth" is fantastic.

That okay? lol :D

#18 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History.<br />Tennis,<br />Squash,<br />Internet,<br />Coin Collecting/Research,<br />Football (Soccer),<br />Music.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:12 PM

Im not sure about a career in history. If possible I want to study history in Uni, but after that Im not sure. Apart from becoming a history teacher, Im not quite sure which other jobs directly relates to history.

lex: Great minds think alike hey? :P

#19 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:15 PM

For careers in history, I got some information from this thing called connexions, and there are a lot of different careers in history.

Historians, archaeologists, curators etc in museums . . . that sort of thing.

Alex: I liked the idea of archaeology, but I prefer leaning more, not doing! lol :)

#20 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:17 PM

I watch Historical programs when there's something on that interests me AND WHEN I HAVE THE TIME! There's so much work to do! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

I must admit that I do buy myself some Historical movies, etc. I hope I'll be fine next year, I'm sure I will be!

Great minds do think alike, indeed.

#21 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:19 PM

Lex, what year did you say you were in?

Because at the minute, I have tons of coursework, and hate all of it. Even the history stuff weighs me down a bit, and I don't have enough time to do much either! Grr! lol

#22 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History.<br />Tennis,<br />Squash,<br />Internet,<br />Coin Collecting/Research,<br />Football (Soccer),<br />Music.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:20 PM

Has anyone here seen 'All Quite On The Western Front'? If you havn't I would recommend this, as this is a very informative film. It is a bit gory, but if you are OK with that sort of stuff you should be alright. It is a very good film for people who want to understand the soldiers emotions (from both sides)....

#23 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:21 PM

I know Connexions! You're right! They've got loads of info on loads of careers and offer a wide range of different jobs in each field. Quite useful for people like me who havn't got a clue what the want to do later. However, a wide range of choice makes it all the more difficult to choose.
I'd like to do something requiring some extent (limited or not) of Historical knowledge.

Edited by lex, 26 February 2004 - 07:22 PM.

#24 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:22 PM

I haven't seen it, but I'll have to give it a try.

You ever seen Goodnight Mister Tom, a film about evacuation? I loved that, but it was really upsetting.

#25 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:23 PM

Lex, what part of England are you from?

#26 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:27 PM

I've seen both - they were really informative, a bit "hardcore" though :o

Helen - I'm in Year 11, and all the coursework really is weighing me down too. It doesn't help that I'm really lazy and leave everything to the last minute...like now. I'm still on my half term and have 4 pieces of work to give in (coursework and not) and still havn't done it. Oops. I wouldn't recommend this. I take it you are in the same year? *too lazy to read back*

:rolleyes:

What are your coursework subjects?
Mine are The Blitz (which I have done) and Jarrow March (not yet completed).

And answering your new post - I live in London, although from the US.

Edited by lex, 26 February 2004 - 07:28 PM.

#27 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:30 PM

My coursework is also The Blitz and Jack The Ripper! :D

Im in Year 10, and I havn't started any coursework yet, but I think we are starting Jack The Ripper after my Mocks...

#28 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:31 PM

Let's see . . .

I've done:

the changing role of women since 1900

The suffragettes

evacuation

and oooh:

evacuation source questions.

Yay.

#29 wolfspirit2004

wolfspirit2004
  • Student
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:33 PM

What are people predicted for their GCSE's?
(Or in James' case, mocks)

#30 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 07:35 PM

I am currently predicted A*/A. However I am not that good when it comes to exams, but we shall see...

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users