Gcse History?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#46 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:20 PM

I really have no idea what I want to do career-wise, but before jumping into something, I plan to go to Uni. There are so many things I want to study! What about yoU? What are your plans?

#47 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History.<br />Tennis,<br />Squash,<br />Internet,<br />Coin Collecting/Research,<br />Football (Soccer),<br />Music.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:22 PM

I really have no idea what I want to do career-wise, but before jumping into something, I plan to go to Uni. There are so many things I want to study! What about yoU? What are your plans?

Im exactly the same. Im not quite sure what career I want to do, but hopefully it will be history related. I plan to staudy a BA in History at Uni and perhaps Business Studies as well.

#48 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:26 PM

Sounds good. What about law? Apparently I can argue a hind leg off a donkey. That requires knowledge of History. LOL
Law's an option for me (actually many things are, not including Maths, blek!) but I'm sure I'll end up in the creative field, with a hint of History here and there...ideally.

#49 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History.<br />Tennis,<br />Squash,<br />Internet,<br />Coin Collecting/Research,<br />Football (Soccer),<br />Music.

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:29 PM

I am considering Law as well! I am also rubbish at Maths :lol:

Im sure you will make the right choice :)

#50 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:29 PM

I'm really quite chuffed about the experienced member thing...lol
Dunno quite how that happened. Was a bit bemused by it.. HEHEHEHE

The 'Experienced Member thingy' happens automatically once you have posted 30(?)+ messages.

#51 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

LOL I thought as much. But, AWWWW, I was feeling all big. hehehe

#52 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:34 PM

I'm sure you will too James, I will...eventually, after lots of pondering...I think. This "message exchange" has been really interesting.

#53 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

It's good to see students who are interested in History discussing the subject and related topics on the Forum and I have deliberately not butted in being all 'teacherish'. ;)

However, you will remember the Forum Rules won't you and not post any personal information at all. That includes names of your teachers and School.

#54 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:04 PM

This "message exchange" has been really interesting.

Hopefully, the new 'History Debate' forum will be up and running soon :)

#55 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:26 PM

Looking forward to that.

( - Do you get alot of homework at your school? In general? What about in history?)

#56 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:29 PM

When it comes to homework, my school can be quite weird. At one time I will have hardly no homework and then another time I will have a stupid amount. In history, the homework is set at a good pace and so I learn better.

What is your homework like? ;)

#57 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

You're lucky.
As you know, this is my exam year, so I am also doing alot of coursework. My school gives an insane amount of homework on top of all the coursework. I'm actually finding it quite hard to keep up, especially because of the laziness factor. I am trying to improve on it though. Luckily, I know that my work is of good quality, which is aided by the good teaching.
In history, the homework is regular-ish. By that I mean, that it is given to us relatively frequently, but the big pieces are given at inconvenient moments.
In some subjects, we get no homework at all! {like Maths}
Personally, I think that homework is good to do {I can't believe that just came from me}, but I think that the teachers should decrease the amount we are given and just give it more regularly, in order for us to be able to pace ourselves.
Then again, that would be spoon-feeding us.

Any input?

Edited by lex, 26 February 2004 - 09:37 PM.

#58 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

Hopefully, the new 'History Debate' forum will be up and running soon

Yes. We are working on the idea behind the scenes. No firm promises, but we are generally in favour.

#59 lex

lex
  • Student
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:37 PM

Yes. We are working on the idea behind the scenes. No firm promises, but  we are generally in favour.

Yay! I'd enjoy that - I'm sure others like -James- and Wolfspirit2004 would too...

Edited by lex, 26 February 2004 - 09:39 PM.

#60 -James-

-James-
  • Student
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:38 PM

You're lucky.
As you know, this is my exam year, so I am also doing alot of coursework. My school gives an insane amount of homework on top of all the coursework. I'm actually finding it quite hard to keep up, especially because of the laziness factor. I am trying to improve on it though. I know that my work is of good quality though, which is aided by the good teaching.
In history, the homework is regular-ish. By that I mean, that it is given to us frequently, but the big pieces are given at inconvenient moments.
In some subjects, we get no homework at all! {like Maths}
Personally, I think homework is good, but I think that the teachers should decrease the amount we are given and just give it more regularly, in order for us to be able to pace ourselves.
Then again, that would be spoon-feeding us.

Any input?

Seems like a lack of communication between departments (same at my school as well). It is a shame about you having all that homework plus your coursework. Ive yet to start my History coursework, but hopefully we will be given sensible deadlines and not as much homework to go with it....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users