Structuralist & Intentionalist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 janner58

janner58
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

I seem to have lost the information i had for these two terms.

Could a Fellow student or a teacher give me the meaning for tehse two..what do i actually need to do if a piece of work says "include structuralist and intentionlist views"

Cheers

#2 Satirical

Satirical
  • Student
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

Merriam-Webster is my fave online dictionary.

http://www.m-w.com

This is what I got...but do it yourself; it has subcategories and external links for clearer defs:

2 entries found for structuralism.
To select an entry, click on it.
structuralismpost-structuralism

Main Entry: strucˇturˇalˇism
Pronunciation: 'str&k-ch&-r&-"li-z&m, 'str&k-shr&-
Function: noun
1 : psychology concerned especially with resolution of the mind into structural elements
2 : structural linguistics
3 : an anthropological movement associated especially with Claude Lévi-Strauss that seeks to analyze social relationships in terms of highly abstract relational structures often expressed in a logical symbolism
4 : a method of analysis (as of a literary text or a political system) that is related to cultural anthropology and that focuses on recurring patterns of thought and behavior
- strucˇturˇalˇist /-list/ noun or adjective

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Could a Fellow student or a teacher give me the meaning for these two..what do i actually need to do if a piece of work says "include structuralist and intentionlist views"

Although the information given in the second post is correct, I believe that the question focuses on the debate on the Third Reich.

To summarise: Intentionalists believe that powerful individuals affect historical development. What major leaders, e.g. Hitler, wanted is important as they were in a position to obtain what they wanted. Structuralists put more emphasis on broader historical developments e.g. economic structure, political factors. They accept leaders have influence but view their actions as determined more by the conditions in which they operate rather than by their own wishes.

Examples:
Intentionalist view: Hitler had coherent ideas and clear aims. Among these were the extermination of the Jews and a new world war. Hitler was very powerful and fostered rivalries within his regime to strengthen his own position.

Structuralist view: Hitler's ideas were not very coherent; he was much more of an opportunist. The Holocaust developed through the increasing radicalisation of the Nazi regime and the influence of the Second World War. Hitler's position was relatively weak, he was always suspicious of potential opposition and was unable to dominate events.

This debate is explored in various A-Level courses on the Nazis, including OCR.

Hopefully this will be of help. It is based on the Hite and Hinton textbook 'Weimar and Nazi Germany'.

#4 tinkerbells

tinkerbells
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:19 AM

Examples:
Structuralist view: Hitler had coherent ideas and clear aims. Among these were the extermination of the Jews and a new world war. Hitler was very powerful and fostered rivalries within his regime to strengthen his own position.

Intentionalist view: Hitler's ideas were not very coherent; he was much more of an opportunist. The Holocaust developed through the increasing radicalisation of the Nazi regime and the influence of the Second World War. Hitler's position was relatively weak, he was always suspicious of potential opposition and was unable to dominate events.

Are your examples the wrong way around?

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

You were quite right; I was obviously in too much of a hurry. The titles have been corrected. Thank you very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users