Photo

Why Did The English Civil War Break Out?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alissejay321

alissejay321
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

I have got to write a level 7 standard Essay for history about why civil war broke out. It needs to have two parts; why civil war did break out and who as most to blame. I can do the second part but I am struggling on the first part. I have got a few notes, but not many dates and a bit more information would be helpful. Any links or tips would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

If you are going to write a Level 7 essay on this topic it will be important that you are able to do the following:
  • be able to categorise the various causes of the Civil War (eg. financial, religious, political) rather than just writing a chronological account of the events leading up to the war.
  • be able to distinguish between long term and short term causes
  • be able to show that the various causes are inter-linked
This page on the Causes of the War should help you:
http://www.historyle...h_civil-war.htm

You say you are OK on the second part of the question. Just remember that you will need to justify (explain why) you reach the conclusion that you do.

I hope that helps? If you have any more questions then do ask.

#3 alissejay321

alissejay321
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, that has helped a lot, I have tried to include the stuff you mentioned. Our teacher also mentioned that we needed to link things too. I have a whiteboard so I wrote all the causes down under a category and drew arrows, it helped me alot, because although I had the information on various websites and in my book, it was there for me and it was quite easy to do.

#4 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:41 PM

Thanks, that has helped a lot, I have tried to include the stuff you mentioned. Our teacher also mentioned that we needed to link things too.

Yes. S/he would. Being able to see how things link together is very important in History generally (not just for this essay). The important thing is actually to say what the links are rather then just leaving the person who reads/marks your work to make the links for themselves. You just need to be obvious about it!

I have a whiteboard so I wrote all the causes down under a category and drew arrows, it helped me alot, because although I had the information on various websites and in my book, it was there for me and it was quite easy to do.

Well done!! That is exactly the sort of thing you should be doing: organising the information before you actually sit down to write the essay It's always worth doing.

I hope you get a really good mark/level for this work.

#5 alissejay321

alissejay321
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

I thoguht, rather than open a new topic I would post my question here as it is still for my Essay.
In June 1642, Parliament passed 19 Propositions to reduce the kings power, but what were they? Is there a linkto somewhere that could tell you or something because I can't find them.

#6 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

I thoguht, rather than open a new topic I would post my question here as it is still for my Essay.

That was sensible of you. :)

In June 1642, Parliament passed 19 Propositions to reduce the kings power, but what were they? Is there a linkto somewhere that could tell you or something because I can't find them.

Here's a link to info. about the 19 Propositions:
http://www.thevicker...ropositions.htm

The most important ones are given and so is the king's reply (be warned the language is rather difficult)

Quite honestly at your level all you really need to understand is that what Parliament was trying to do was to transfer all power from the King to them and that Charles wasn't having any of it!

#7 alissejay321

alissejay321
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

I just thought I would let you know that my essay was marked and I got a 7- for it. :) Thanks for your help.

#8 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

It was a pleasure to help, but the Level 7 is all yours!

Well done!

It's always good to get feedback like this from students we've tried to help. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users