Which Books? For A Level (upper 6th)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 William Garlick

William Garlick
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:11 PM

Can someone help me please Iv looked and looked for sutible bookes on this topic. Iv found Nehru and Ghandhi's Autobiographys and the Imperial Dream (British Commonwealth and Empire 1775-1969) by Edward Grierson but this seems a that soom parts of this book have little or no authority behind them, and is over all quite vague on the subject of India.

Thanks

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

This is not a topic where I am familar with the literature. I'll ask around and see if I can find another teacher better informed than myself, but if this is an A2 topic of study for an exam paper your Exam Board will almost certainly have published a reading list. Have you tried asking your own teacher what these recommendations are? If s/he does not have it to hand then it will be available on the relevant exam board's website.

If, however, this is a subject you are researching for a piece of A2 coursework/personal study of your own choice then do check back here to see if I have been able to find some suggestions for you.

Later .... I've been having a bit of a look around on book sites and have found the following which seems relevant. The trouble is that I have no idea whether it's really any good. However it may help?

Liberty or Death: India's Journey to Independence and Division by Patrick French. Publisher: Flamingo ISBN: 0006550452

Later still .....I'm not familar with this book, but the Seminar Studies series (to which it belongs) is usually good and appropriate for A2 level work. I know it covers a wider period than you want but I guess the 'background' will be relevant. Furthermore, the book will almost certainly have a good bibliography which you should use.

India 1855-1950: From Empire to Republic (Seminar Studies in History Series.)
by Ian Copland Publisher: Longman ISBN: 0582381738

Edited by Mrs Faithorn, 22 November 2005 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users