Photo

Where Does The Word 'history' Come From?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gndoofi

gndoofi
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hi All,

I've been wondering recently where the word History comes from. My thinking, and I'd appreciate your feed back, is that History comes from "His Story" - He being God.

Does anyone know the history of history?

Gndoofi

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

Although it might be tempting to think that History tells 'His Story', that's not the case. The term history comes from the Greek"ιστορία" or historia, "an account of one's inquiries," The English word 'story' has the same origin.

See this page for more explanation and info.
http://www.biocrawle...lopedia/History

#3 shortie_6144

shortie_6144
  • Student
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

does that mean history came before the word story?
How strange!

#4 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

No. Not really.

What it means is that in our language (English) the word 'story' has the same root (or origin) as the word 'history' and that both these words come from the Greek word 'historia'.

If you are interested in finding out more about where words come from, then I suggest you talk to your English teacher at school. It's a fascinating topic.

#5 gndoofi

gndoofi
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

No. Not really.

What it means is that in our language (English) the word 'story' has the same root (or origin) as the word 'history' and that both these words come from the Greek word 'historia'.

If you are interested in finding out more about where words come from, then I suggest you talk to your English teacher at school. It's a fascinating topic. \

I too think it would be a fascinating subject. Almost, too fascinating..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users