Photo

Why Did The Nazis Fail To Come To Power In 1923?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

I have got an essay question about why the Nazis failed to come to power in 1923 but did in 1933. I have a lot to say for 1933, but not much for 1923, can anyone help? I have especially got to focus on the state of the Nazi party.

Edited by oilcan, 22 December 2005 - 07:43 PM.

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Assume you only need help with the 'Why did the Nazis fail in 1923?' aspect of the question then?

NB 1923 is the year of the Munich Putsch - so in addition to considering the wider reasons for lack of support for the Nazi Party in the early 1920s if I had set this question I'd also expect an analysis of the failure of the Putsch itself.

You need to consider the following factors:
  • The multiplicity of right-wing parties in Germany and the fact that there was little at this stage to distinguish the Nazis from the others. It was very much a Bavarian party rather than one widely known in Germany. (also look at the election results for 1920)
  • Linked with this is the size (small) of the Party in the early '20s (try to find statistics) and bear in mind that this is before the restructuring of the Party following Hitler's release from jail in 1925. ie the subdivision of Germany into gau for the purposes of Party organisation did not yet exist, nor did the subservience of the SA to the Party machine. The HJ did not yet formally exist nor did the SS. Goebbels was not yet in charge of propaganda etc etc.[In other words you need a knowledge here of what happened after Hitler's release in 1925]
  • Look too at the fact that Stresemann had introduced the Rentenmark before the Putsch in November and that the hyperinflation crisis was essentially over. (though that didn't mean that the political repercussions were over too since Stresemann's actions - eg calling off the passive resistance - were not popular with those on the right)
  • Consider the fact that the Nazis had little support from the ruling elite prior to 1923 (unlike 1933) and no major finanacial support from 'big business' as yet.
  • Look at which social classes (urban working class) the Nazis tended to target in these early stages and consider how well they managed to compete with the KPD. (as compared with the switch in tactics after 1928)
I assume you have studied the Munich Putsch in some detail and so know why that particular attempt to sieze power failed?

All of that should help with what you say you need to focus on. Any good A Level text which focuses on Weimar Germany should have detailed info.
Also very good indeed is the Nazi Documentary reader by Noakes and Pridham. You want Volume 1. It may be a bit hard going for you though. Look in a decent library for this.

Does that help enough?

Edited by Mrs Faithorn, 22 December 2005 - 10:08 PM.

#3 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

Hi,

Thanks it does help a lot. I have 'Weimar & Nazi Germany', as the textbook.

I have studied the Munich Putsch :)

I haven't got much written notes on this question, so I needed some extra information - I looked in the textbook and got a few points and my teacher has given me some points to consider. I think I am all set now, thankyou :)

#4 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

That's good to hear then. Good Luck with this and ....

Merry Christmas!

#5 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:39 PM

Thankyou, I'll let you know how it goes :)

#6 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Just like to say thankyou - I wrote the essay yesterday and I felt confident in doing it. Thanks for your help throughout the holiday - I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

#7 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

Yes. Great holiday thankyou and pleased to hear you felt confident when writing the essay. Let us know what you get?

#8 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

I handed it in today, so maybe I'll get it back on Tuesday.

Hopefully it'll be good, in my last 2 essays I have got 39 and 40/45 and I want to keep this trend up :D

#9 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

Fingers crossed then!

#10 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:41 AM

I think I got 40/45. I saw my teacher marking mine, and I think she put in her markbook 40, A. I am sure I'll find out for definite today. I think one of her comments was something about doingit in 45 minutes, but as I said, I'll let you know when I get it back. Thanks for all your help.

#11 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

I think I got 40/45. ........ I'll let you know when I get it back. Thanks for all your help.

Yes, please do.

I'm sure you'll get practice in class writing essay questions under exam conditions during the revision sessions nearer to the June exams. It will indeed be important to practice writing under time pressures so the more you can do yourself as well, the better. .... but no great need for that yet.

#12 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

Well this was timed at home...45 minutes.

I did get 40 :) The only target I got was to condense my plan.

#13 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

Excellent! I was pleased to help in the initial stages, but the success is all yours. :)

#14 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thankyou. I really enjoy History. Hopefully I can get my mark up in British History - next essay test on Friday.

#15 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

Good Luck with that then. Just remember - your general essay skills are transferable from one paper to the other, though I do realise you just find the topic content harder for the British paper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users