Photo

What Kind Of Education Do You Need To Become A History Teacher....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

No one else seems to know...or care...I realize it's rather off topic...but I am struggling to decide what courses to take...I'm not sure what's the most important... :unsure:

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

The best teachers are those who are 'well rounded' individuals. Thus you will take a range of subjects and be able to develop your skills in all of them. The most essential thing is that you take subjects that interest you. You will then be able to focus your mind on areas that you like, where you feel you have strengths. This will be the best preparation to become a history teacher.

Obviously you should take history, but other that that it doesn't really matter. Your school will have compulsory 'core' subjects that you'll be forced to take.

An interesting post though! Which subjects are you unsure / concerned about?

#3 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

Just a thought ..... I don't think you are a student in the UK are you jabberwocky? One of your previous posts used the word 'semester' which suggests you aren't. So remember that this site is based in the UK and that we are not necessarily familiar in detail with the requirements for teachers in other countries, nor indeed with the courses open to students after the age of 16.

IF it's the UK you are talking about then you need to have at least a grade C in Maths at GCSE and as part of the teacher training qualification it's necessary to take a test showing a good basic mathematical competence, but that is all.

As Mr Field has said though, perhaps you could make things a little bit clearer and then we can see if we can help as we do have all sorts of contacts in various parts of the world.

#4 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

Yes, I live in Canada. I have a choice between Academic or Applied mathamatics...for next year. I have a history Geography teacher (who also teachers History) who told me that when he was accpeted to a University they didn't even look at his math marks. I was just wondering if it mattered whether you took an Academic math course...or an Applied...So long as to attain a credit in a math course...? I am much better at the courses in which there is a large amount of writing/language skills involved verses the more mathamatical/scientific ones....Can I still be a teacher..? :blink:

#5 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

Do you not have a Careers Advisor at your own school, or perhaps someone responsible for guiding the choices of students intending to go to University? It will be their job to know (or at least know how to find out) what the requirements to become a teacher are in the province (is that the right word?) of Canada where you live. They should also know what courses it would be most advisable for you to take if your long-term aim is to become a History teacher.

As for your History/Geography teacher .... do be aware that requirements for teaching change over time in most countries and that s/he could well be out of date. For example, when I was your age - a very long time ago (!) - it was necessary in England to have a qualification in Latin in order to study any subject at all at a University here. That requirement was dropped a long time ago.

What I suspect is that a 'passing' grade in Applied Maths will be sufficient for what you want to do, but I emphasise that this is only a 'sensible guess'. All teachers need to be numerate and well-rounded individuals (as Mr Field said), but a History teacher does not need to be educated to a very high standard in Mathematics.

My best suggestion is to talk to the Careers advisor at your own school. If you can't do that, then contact the University you would like to attend and ask for their advice. It's not that we are unwilling to help, but I feel sure that you understand that any specific advice that we might give might possibly be wrong since we can't be experts on the requirements of other countries' education systems.

#6 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:42 AM

Thank-you very much. I realize it must be difficult to answer some of my questions because of the variance in location and the requirements may be different. I would just like to say thanks for the advice and I think I will look into that further. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for any previous posts (I am not sure whether you recall...though I was really rather rude and blunt...) Somtimes the illusion and separation the computer/internet creates, makes it difficult to remember you are in fact talking to people...real people. And in this case, people who volunteer their own time to make this wonderful resource possible :D . Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks again, both of you!

#7 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

We were pleased to help, even if in a rather limited way in your case. Thank you too for your apology. It is much appreciated. :)

#8 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

No one else seems to know...or care...I realize it's rather off topic...but I am struggling to decide what courses to take...I'm not sure what's the most important... :unsure:

British students thinking of becoming a History Teacher should do a forum search on 'History teacher' as there is a fair bit on this. This thread might be a good place to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users