Witches: Ursula Kemp + Elizabeth Crossley

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Voge

Voge
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

I need to find out about Ursula Kemp and Elizabeth Crossley, I have tried googleing their names, though the links that come up do not appear to have the information that I require.
I need their:
Ages
If they lived alone
If they had familiars
How ugly they were (maybe)
whether they were though to hold ceremonies
whether they were thought to cast spell/ make potions

Generally witchy stuff really. I'll be really grateful if you can help,

Yours Faithfully Voge

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

I think the only place where the info you are searching for will definitely be is in the documentation of their trials I'm afraid and I doubt whether all this is online.

However, I have found the following:
http://www.hulford.co.uk/familiar.html ... which says

Ursula Kemp, the owner of four familiars, displayed that she also had magical powers: "Ursula came in unbidden, turned down the bedclothes, and took her [victim] by the arm, when immediately she gasped and died.

and on this page http://dugamer.tripod.com/id21.html .... it says

In St Osyth in 1570, 13 women from the village were tried for witchcraft. It began with a petty quarrel between Ursula Kemp and Grace Thurlow after which Kemp was blamed for causing Grace's daughter to fall from her cot and to become ill, and for putting a spell on her mother which made her go lame.

I'm afraid I don't have the time to spend looking at all the possible hits for little bits of information like this, but it does show that some of it is out there.

For generally 'witchy stuff' you could try the links on this page of our main site:
http://www.schoolhis...itchcraft.shtml

#3 Lily

Lily
  • Student
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:53 PM

Hi,

I studied withcraft as part of my GCSE history course so I had a look through some of my old notes and all I could find on Elizabeth Crossley is:
"In one case in 1646, Henry Cockrofte gave evidence against Elizabeth Crossley. Elizabeth had gone to Henry's door begging. His wife had given her something, but it wasn't enough. That night, the Cockrofte's son became ill, and later died. Henry accused Elizabeth Crossley, her daughter and another woman of witchcraft."

But I did find a reference to an Ursley Kemp, which I did a quick search on google and it is the same person as Ursula Kemp...I found the following website, it is fairly detailed but it maybe of some use

http://personal.rhul...chConfesses.htm

If you search Ursley Kemp on google it comes up with better results than searching Ursula Kemp

such as these pages have details about her familars:

www.klammeraffe.org/~brandy/ hexen/MalleusMalificarum/mm2.html
"It appears in the earliest trials that it was commonly thought that the witch housed and fed her familiars: Ursley Kemp lodged her two cats, a lamb and a toad in a large wool-lined pot, maintaining them on beer, cake and white bread. The diet seems ordinary enough, if extravagant, but it was occassionally plemented with the witch's blood."

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ mi_m2279/is_n140/ai_13293791/pg_7
"At St. Osyth in Essex in 1582 Thomas Rabbet, aged eight, said that his mother Ursley Kemp 'hath foure seuerall spirites, the one called Tyffin, the other Tittey, the third Pigine, and the fourth Iacke: and being asked of what colours they were, saith, that Tyttey is like a little grey Cat,[2] Tyffin is like a white lambe, Pygine is black like a Toad, and Iacke is blacke like a Cat. And hee saith, hee hath seen his mother at times to giue thie{m} beere to drinke, and of a white Lofe or Cake to eate, and saith that in the night time the said spirites will come to his mother, and sucke blood of her vpon her armes and other places of her body.'"

I'm afraid all the pages it comes up with are quite detailed and you do have to look through them carefully to find the bits you want though.

But hope this helps

Lily

#4 Voge

Voge
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

Thanks very much :) I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users