Treaty Of Versailles: Impact On Germany

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robbie W

Robbie W
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

hello, i've recently been studying the treaty of versailles and have been posed the question, what had the biggest impact on Germany (eg. loss of colonies, reparations etc.) i was wondering if anyone could give a little help

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:43 PM

Try using the search feature here - you'll find lots of help from previous questions. Try that first and if you are still stuck, post again.

#3 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

If it was a GCSE question you were set for homework it might be a good idea to explain for each one (eg reparations, loss of land etc).....in detail the impact it had on Germany, then in your conclusion evaluating what you believe to be the biggest impact on Germany.
Have you also had a look at Mr Clare's website on Modern World History? http://www.johndclare.net/

#4 LilSarah

LilSarah
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hii i was wondering if someone could help me i need 10 facts on the treaty of varsailles but i cant seem to find anything when i search on google! thanks xxx

#5 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hii i was wondering if someone could help me i need 10 facts on the treaty of varsailles but i cant seem to find anything when i search on google! thanks xxx

Maybe you were finding it difficult because your spelling was a little inaccurate? It's VErsailles, not VArsailles <_<

Another thing to remember is that when you are looking for something that is a phrase or group of words on Google you should enclose the words in speech marks like this: "Treaty of Versailles"

Despite all that I am really surprised you haven't found what you need.

Go to this webpage
http://johndclare.ne...e_treaties4.htm and/or look at this essay on the Treaty ... which are on Mr Clare's excellent GCSE Modern World History site and you'll soon find ten facts on the Treaty. It's the page on the Treaty of Versailles.

There you have the date when the Treaty was signed, where it was signed, what the treaty said etc etc. You can easily get 10 facts from that page especially if you look at the labelled map as well.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

hello, i've recently been studying the treaty of versailles and have been posed the question, what had the biggest impact on Germany (eg. loss of colonies, reparations etc.) i was wondering if anyone could give a little help

The KEY to this kind of question is to ASSESS (= 'weigh') the impact.

SO
1. Think of one thing that the treaty said (DESCRIBE)
2. EXPLAIN how it might have affected Germany and the Germans (think of as many ways as you can
but then you MUST:
3. ASSESS the amount of impact - was this a great setback/ damage economically, territorially, physcologically? How great? Why do you say this?

Do this for the
- Guilt clause
- Territorial losses
- Reparations
- Military restrictions
After you have done this for all four aspects of the Treaty, look at what your assessment for all four was, and write a final paragraph saying which you therefore judge to have had the greatest impact (and why you are saying that)

#7 tvig

tvig
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

hi

I'm revising for my mocks and am using the syllabus to get me through it (am writing an answer for each key question it shows). The two questions I've come up against are

"what were the long term consequences of the peace treaties of 1919-1923?"
"what were the consequences of the failures of the league in the 1930s?"

Ive looked through my two textbooks and on the internet and I have actually no idea what to put in the answers to these questions (as in what topics they are meant to cover- or what information is neccesary to answer)

PLEASE HELP im rather concerned about all this....

thankyou

#8 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• 1,390 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Firstly, this is a great way of revising - well done. Focusing on key questions that could come up in the exam is very sensible indeed.

I think you need to have a look at the excellent http://www.johndclare.net website. You can find all the answers to those questions there. Go and have a look yourself but then post again if you need further assistance :)

In terms of what these questions actually cover - the first, consequences of the Peace Treaties covers the impact of the treaties held after the First World War. These agreements were key to the international relations between the First and Second World Wars. The Failures of the League in the 1930s refers to the League of Nations, setup as a consequence of the peace treaties which was supposed to sort out international differences without the need for fighting.

#9 tvig

tvig
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

Firstly, this is a great way of revising - well done. Focusing on key questions that could come up in the exam is very sensible indeed.

I think you need to have a look at the excellent http://www.johndclare.net website. You can find all the answers to those questions there. Go and have a look yourself but then post again if you need further assistance :)

In terms of what these questions actually cover - the first, consequences of the Peace Treaties covers the impact of the treaties held after the First World War. These agreements were key to the international relations between the First and Second World Wars. The Failures of the League in the 1930s refers to the League of Nations, setup as a consequence of the peace treaties which was supposed to sort out international differences without the need for fighting.

Thank you very much for such a speedy reply!! I have often used the johndclare web site and know that it is an excellent resource but thanks anyway! Unfortunately I want a little more clarification...for this first question, by Peace treaties does it mean treaties like Treaty of Versailles or treaties as in those which settled border disputes or which countries lost what? For the second question, by League setup do you mean incidents that the League could not deal with such as Abysinnia and Manchuria? I had thought that this question might cover abyssinia or manchuria but there is another key question specific to these incidents ("Why did the League fail over Manchuria and Abysinnia"). I also thought it might be problems with the League's setup but there is another key question for this ("How far did weaknesses in the League's organisation make failure inevitable") so I'm not sure if this is what it wants

#10 Mr_Stacey

Mr_Stacey
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

for this first question, by Peace treaties does it mean treaties like Treaty of Versailles or treaties as in those which settled border disputes or which countries lost what?

Both!

Check back in your sylabus and notes to see what other treaties you've studied and should be including. I don't teach the OCR course myself, so I'm not sure which you need to refer to, but this page on Mr Clare's site includes those you may well need to talk about.

I've just gone and had a look at the OCR sylabus myself. Don't forget you're looking at Long Term results here - so focus on the 1930's

For the second question, by League setup do you mean incidents that the League could not deal with such as Abysinnia and Manchuria? I had thought that this question might cover abyssinia or manchuria but there is another key question specific to these incidents ("Why did the League fail over Manchuria and Abysinnia"). I also thought it might be problems with the League's setup but there is another key question for this ("How far did weaknesses in the League's organisation make failure inevitable") so I'm not sure if this is what it wants

Be careful here, the question isn't asking WHY did the League fail, but what the CONSEQUENCES of those failures were. Again, you're thinking Long Term and focussing on the 1930's.

I hope that helps. Please do post again if we can give you any more help.

#11 tvig

tvig
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

for this first question, by Peace treaties does it mean treaties like Treaty of Versailles or treaties as in those which settled border disputes or which countries lost what?

Both!

Check back in your sylabus and notes to see what other treaties you've studied and should be including. I don't teach the OCR course myself, so I'm not sure which you need to refer to, but this page on Mr Clare's site includes those you may well need to talk about.

I've just gone and had a look at the OCR sylabus myself. Don't forget you're looking at Long Term results here - so focus on the 1930's

For the second question, by League setup do you mean incidents that the League could not deal with such as Abysinnia and Manchuria? I had thought that this question might cover abyssinia or manchuria but there is another key question specific to these incidents ("Why did the League fail over Manchuria and Abysinnia"). I also thought it might be problems with the League's setup but there is another key question for this ("How far did weaknesses in the League's organisation make failure inevitable") so I'm not sure if this is what it wants

Be careful here, the question isn't asking WHY did the League fail, but what the CONSEQUENCES of those failures were. Again, you're thinking Long Term and focussing on the 1930's.

I hope that helps. Please do post again if we can give you any more help.

Again, thank you very much for such a quick reply. I realise that the second question is asking about the consequences long term, but I dont know what these consequences could be

#12 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

Again, thank you very much for such a quick reply. I realise that the second question is asking about the consequences long term, but I dont know what these consequences could be

I think you're right - I think that this is a VERY hard question.
I'm not, of course, going to give you the answers, but the two key things I can think of are:
1. the League was meant to keep the peace, and it collapsed in 1936 - so what's going to be the consequence of that?
2. What replaced the League, and what effect did the League's failure have on that institution?

No more help!
Except to tell you that you might get some more ideas about results at http://www.johndclare.net/R_Diary5.htm.

#13 tvig

tvig
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

Thank you! The link is particularly good. I dont think Im meant to talk about the United Nations though if that's what you're mentioning by "institution" simply because it doesnt appear in our textbooks written for the syllabus and we've never covered it, but I wont expect any more help!!! Thank you for all the trouble various administrators have taken to help me!!

#14 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

By sheer chance I came across this today:
http://en.wikipedia....mise_and_legacy
Thought you might be interested.

#15 Martina1111

Martina1111
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hello!

I am doing revision for my IGCSEs .. by the way I am not native english speaker so i am sorry for my english.....
I can not find the propre answer for this question: What were the long term consequences of the peace treaties of 1919-1923?
I found it in the syllabus and it seems to me quite important.

I am glad for any ideas. ;) Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users