Causes For The Protestant Reformation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 theghoul

theghoul
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

can anyone tell me, any causes for the protestant reformation. i.e: political/economic/social/miltiary/religious

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

Your best source of information is likely to be your course textbook. Have you tried looking there?

Also try these links:
http://www.mb-soft.c...xn/reformat.htm
http://www.newadvent...then/12700b.htm
http://www.historyte...s/Myessay1E.htm

If you need more, just try Googling using the search terms: causes +"Protestant Reformation"

#3 historygurl

historygurl
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

hey, theghul, the Reformation was started by differing religious views. Martin Luther posted his 95 Thesis on the door of a church who's name escapes me. This wasn't a new idea, tons of people have done it before him, but because of the new printing press the thesis was spread throughout Europe at a rapid pace and caused big problems with both the Catholic church and the monarchy. The government and church didn't want anybody getting any ideas and to stop following them. This made Luther, and a lot of other Europeans, mad at the church and realize they were right to be doing what they were doing. So bassicly it was started by religion, but made a big deal by polotics, the economy, and new technology. Tell me if this helps

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

a church who's name escapes me.

Wittenberg

So bassicly it was started by religion, but made a big deal by polotics, the economy, and new technology.

The basic concept is easy enough - its assinilating and analysing the details that are the issue.

#5 flubs

flubs
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

ok the 6 main causes are
- humanism stimulates learning and return to original source
-impact of the printing press
-crisis of faith/ serach for the true meaning of Christianity
-towns local rulers oppose increasing political centralisation
-popular resentment of clerical taxe, coroption, indulgences
- church suppression of dissidents as heretics

and that was the basic causes of the protestant reformation

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

ok the 6 main causes are

Spot on!
:)

#7 Somerled

Somerled
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

ok the 6 main causes are

Spot on!
:)

I am sorry but I must totally disagree with your popularist interpretation of the Reformation. When considering the Reformation I think it is always important to think whether the Reformation had happened or not, would the effect (event) still have occured? In England, would Henry still have had so many wives? The printing press, clerical taxes, political centralization, crisis of faith etc etc. The answer in most cases, I believe is a resounding yes.
Martin Luther was the architect of the Reformation but I believe his thoughts (purpose) have been mis- interpreted by many over the centuries. We all know that the Luther King Reformation was to take 'forgiveness' of human sin away from the power of the priest and place it firmly, specifically and ONLY in Gods hands. In my humble opinion I believe this is generally thought of today (somewhat wrongly), as raising the profile of mother church to a more godly order. I believe Martin Luthers' vision was simply to show God as a 'living' god pertinent to all and through all ages and passages of our history. To recognise God as all powerful and particularly as EVERLASTING is the only tenet, I believe, Luther King wished for and foresaw.

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

I am sorry but I must totally disagree with your popularist interpretation of the Reformation. When considering the Reformation I think it is always important to think whether the Reformation had happened or not, would the effect (event) still have occured? In England, would Henry still have had so many wives? The printing press, clerical taxes, political centralization, crisis of faith etc etc. The answer in most cases, I believe is a resounding yes.
Martin Luther was the architect of the Reformation but I believe his thoughts (purpose) have been mis- interpreted by many over the centuries. We all know that the Luther King Reformation was to take 'forgiveness' of human sin away from the power of the priest and place it firmly, specifically and ONLY in Gods hands. In my humble opinion I believe this is generally thought of today (somewhat wrongly), as raising the profile of mother church to a more godly order. I believe Martin Luthers' vision was simply to show God as a 'living' god pertinent to all and through all ages and passages of our history. To recognise God as all powerful and particularly as EVERLASTING is the only tenet, I believe, Luther King wished for and foresaw.

Thank you for this, but lot of what you say is mistaken.
At the start, you have muddled up the CAUSES of the Reformation, which this thread is about, with its CONSEQUENCES.
Later on, you muddle up Martin Luther, who was important in the Reformation, with Martin Luther King - who was named after him - who led the Civil Rights movement in the USA.
You are correct when you say that the nub of Luther's teaching was individual salvation by grace, whereas the Catholic Church did (and still does to an extent) claim a role in getting the individual to heaven. This was THE crucial doctrinal difference, and it is certainly true that many Protestants fought and died for that principle, but you are wrong to suggest that the list of causes ignores the personal faith element of the Reformation - that is covered under 'The search for the true meaning of Christianity'.

Finally, whilst I respect your faith, it is not the task of historians to recognise the greatness of God. It may well be that History demonstrates the greatness of God, but it is the task of the faithful - of the Church - to point this out. The task of the historian is to seek the natural processes behind the History. The faithful may indeed believe that God is working through those natural processes, that is their right and duty - but that expression of faith must be made separately from the study of History.

#9 4kids

4kids
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

One of Luther's main arguments was the hypocrisy of indulgences: The Church would offer penance so that people could "earn forgiveness" for their sins as long as they paid the Church for the privilege of "assigning" those indulgences. The very word is ironic, given its alternate, more modern definition (an extravagance of which people take advantage despite their best intentions). John Tetzel was one of Luther's main targets.

Check out these links:

http://courses.wcupa.edu/jones/his101/web/37luther.htm
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/luther/lutherindulgences.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

David White
Publisher
Social Studies for Kids

#10 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

http://courses.wcupa...eb/37luther.htm

Thanks for this - but this link does not appear to work.
:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users