Russia - Lenin, Stalin Etc

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

I will do - if I get any offers at all, I'll be ecstatic!

Of course you'll get offers. With AS results like those and good predictions there should be no problem at all. (apart maybe from Cambridge where competition is intense)

Can I ask for some advice though? I am predicted AAA, and for AS I got AAAAB (1 mark off an A, one unit being retaken), and in the subjects I am doing for A2, I got AAB for those at AS. (Sorry, being very long winded here).

So far I am definitely applying to:
Cambridge - AAA
Durham - AAA
York - AAB

I have gone off Sheffield a bit, and also considering Nottingham, Warwick, Lancaster. But how low should my insurance offer be? I can't see myself getting BBB, but is ABB too high? I need some advice, as I have a few AAB universities, and it depends how many of those I pick.

This is a tricky one since you seem to be planning to apply to 'premier league' Universities exclusively (and indeed no reason why you shouldn't). In view of that I'd have thought that you are not likely to get an offer lower than ABB. So ... go for the lowest insurance offer which really is at a Uni. that you genuinely wish to attend. At least, that's my advice. However I do think that you should be discussing this with the person at school who has responsibility for UCAS applications.

Also, do you know anything about Nottingham University for History?

Not a great deal really. Check to see what score they got for teaching. The only evidence I have is annecdotal and somewhat out of date. Besides, what suits one person well is not good for another ... and I don't know you personally so find it hard to judge whether it is somewhere that would suit you.

Don't know whether you know, but in class we've been using a great website (activehistory.co.uk), and this activity (http://www.activehis...ia/frameset.htm) has been really useful in understanding Russia :)

Yes, indeed. An excellent site. Mr Tarr, whose site it is, is known to me personally and he does sometimes answer questions here. However, the reason why I rarely recommend the site on this Forum is because it is a 'subscription only' site. The page you mention is one of several 'freebies' that Mr Tarr offers. I'll tell him how highly you rate his work. I know he'll be pleased.

The subscription to the site is not all that expensive and if I were you I would urge your teacher to take one out for your school's History Department. That would then give you access to all Mr Tarr's excellent materials most of which are password protected.

#17 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

(apart maybe from Cambridge where competition is intense)

And Durham, eeep!

So ... go for the lowest insurance offer which really is at a Uni. that you genuinely wish to attend. At least, that's my advice. However I do think that you should be discussing this with the person at school who has responsibility for UCAS applications.

Yes, my ABB university is Lancaster, which seems nice, I can't really see any lower universities I like. I haven't spoken to the UCAS person about it, as she is new to the job, this is her first UCAS application, and she's never been in charge of post 16 before. I am going to ask my History teacher tomorrow though :)

The subscription to the site is not all that expensive and if I were you I would urge your teacher to take one out for your school's History Department. That would then give you access to all Mr Tarr's excellent materials most of which are password protected.

I'll check to see whether they have a subscription.

I'm really excited about university, I just hope I get where I want!

#18 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:27 AM

Yes, my ABB university is Lancaster, which seems nice, I can't really see any lower universities I like. I haven't spoken to the UCAS person about it, as she is new to the job, this is her first UCAS application, and she's never been in charge of post 16 before. I am going to ask my History teacher tomorrow though :)

I have never had a student go to Lancaster so don't have any 'insider info'. However, they have some good people there (eg Ruth Henig) and I've heard good things about it on the teacher grapevine. Yes. Do speak to your own History teacher. And why not give the new UCAS person a chance? Everyone has to start somewhere and I feel sure she will be anxious to do a good job!

I'll check to see whether they have a subscription.

If they don't then it is possible to take out an individual subscription too.

I'm really excited about university, I just hope I get where I want!

Course you are/do. We are all rooting for you here! :)

#19 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have never had a student go to Lancaster so don't have any 'insider info'. However, they have some good people there (eg Ruth Henig) and I've heard good things about it on the teacher grapevine. Yes. Do speak to your own History teacher. And why not give the new UCAS person a chance? Everyone has to start somewhere and I feel sure she will be anxious to do a good job!

My ex amazing History teacher said that Lancaster was a good university, and my friend's brother has been there and enjoyed it, though not to do History. Have seen te new UCAS person, and I think she'd just refer me to someone else. I was going to ask my History teacher on Friday but due to her personal circumstances on Friday I didn't. So will ask on Monday, definitely

If they don't then it is possible to take out an individual subscription too.

How much is this, do you know?

Course you are/do. We are all rooting for you here! :)

Aww, thankyou. Hopefully I should definitely get at least one A, I only need 194/300 for Sociology to get an A next year. I'm hoping that doing an excellent personal study will help take pressure off the June exams for History.

#20 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:13 AM

...... I was going to ask my History teacher on Friday but due to her personal circumstances on Friday I didn't. So will ask on Monday, definitel

Yes, do

How much is this, do you know?

A year's subscription for an individual to use on a home computer is £34.04 +VAT. See this page:
http://www.activehis...eous/signup.htm

NB. This wouldn't allow you to 'share' the subscription with other students (or your teacher). I'm sure you realise this would be unethical, and besides Mr T. would be able to track what was happening from the IP addresses used by different computers.

Do bear in mind that Mr Tarr's materials are primarily intended for teachers to use with their classes (rather than students as such), but he does have an awful lot of very good resources. Remind me what you are actually studying this year and I'll take a look at the site and let you know if I think it would be worthwhile in your case.

Aww, thankyou. Hopefully I should definitely get at least one A, I only need 194/300 for Sociology to get an A next year. I'm hoping that doing an excellent personal study will help take pressure off the June exams for History.

Yes. All looks promising. Work steadily and in an organised fashion thoroughout this year and all should be fine.

#21 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

I asked my History teacher about lowest entry requirements and she couldn't really give me that much advice. She told me to email my personal statement to my ex History teacher. I also had a talk from someone at Cambridge, and she said she'd look over my personal statement for me, so that's good.

Hmm, not sure I can afford £30ish right now. My 2 units are both on Russia, one's from 1856-1955 I think, and the other one comes within that time period.

#22 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

I asked my History teacher about lowest entry requirements and she couldn't really give me that much advice.

I can only repeat that my advice is to make your insurance offer the one that is the lowest of those at a Uni that you genuinely want to go to. If the lowest offer is ABB then go for that one. It strikes me that there is little point in someone like you (clearly able and ambitious) applying to Unis where the typical offer is significantly lower just so that you can be sure of a place at any University (though I am not entirely clear whether that is something that you have in mind?)

She told me to email my personal statement to my ex History teacher. I also had a talk from someone at Cambridge, and she said she'd look over my personal statement for me, so that's good.

Yes, do those things, though to be honest I think that seeking the advice of quite a few people may just end up to be confusing for you. If your ex-teacher (who you clearly trust) is prepared to help you then this may the best person since they actually know you.

Hmm, not sure I can afford £30ish right now. My 2 units are both on Russia, one's from 1856-1955 I think, and the other one comes within that time period.

£30+ is not expensive for access to all the materials Mr Tarr has on his site, but I emphasise again that these cover the whole secondary age range (11-18) and also that they are primarily intended for teachers or home-tutored students - not students actually attending school as you are. You asked a question; I answered it.

He does have a pretty extensive range of materials covering the period you mention. These include notes and worksheets, Powerpoint Presentations and revision games etc.

I still think your best bet is to persuade your History Dept to take out a subscription. Any money you can afford can go on books. ;)

#23 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

I can only repeat that my advice is to make your insurance offer the one that is the lowest of those at a Uni that you genuinely want to go to. If the lowest offer is ABB then go for that one. It strikes me that there is little point in someone like you (clearly able and ambitious) applying to Unis where the typical offer is significantly lower just so that you can be sure of a place at any University (though I am not entirely clear whether that is something that you have in mind?)

Yes, I think if it didn't work out, I'd just apply the next year round I don't want to go anywhere lower than Lancaster.

Yes, do those things, though to be honest I think that seeking the advice of quite a few people may just end up to be confusing for you. If your ex-teacher (who you clearly trust) is prepared to help you then this may the best person since they actually know you.

To be honest, I found a variety of views helpful I am not sure whether my ex history teacher can help me you see, she's going to France at some point in September, so she might not be around

£30+ is not expensive for access to all the materials Mr Tarr has on his site, but I emphasise again that these cover the whole secondary age range (11-18) and also that they are primarily intended for teachers or home-tutored students - not students actually attending school as you are. You asked a question; I answered it.

He does have a pretty extensive range of materials covering the period you mention. These include notes and worksheets, Powerpoint Presentations and revision games etc.

I still think your best bet is to persuade your History Dept to take out a subscription. Any money you can afford can go on books. ;)

Sorry - I wasn't digging at you at all, it's just my parents have got this scheme where I have to pay for most things to get me ready for uni, and to be that is expensive (as I have to pay), but it is a really good price for all the resources

#24 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

Yes, I think if it didn't work out, I'd just apply the next year round I don't want to go anywhere lower than Lancaster.

I thought as much. In that case then, you have your answer don't you? (ie go for ABB - which is what we have been saying all along)

To be honest, I found a variety of views helpful I am not sure whether my ex history teacher can help me you see, she's going to France at some point in September, so she might not be around

Fair enough. Might your ex-teacher still not be able to pick up emails (if she uses a web-based account like hotmail)? My guess would be that even if she is travelling around she'll be checking mails at internet cafés. Try mailing her now??

Sorry - I wasn't digging at you at all, it's just my parents have got this scheme where I have to pay for most things to get me ready for uni, and to be that is expensive (as I have to pay), but it is a really good price for all the resources

I didn't think you were getting at me. All I was attempting to do was to clarify the situation. Besides which, do remember that we are not having a private conversation and that other people read these threads - so sometimes what I say is as much for "all readers" as the person I am replying to.

Sounds to me as if your parents have their heads screwed on ...... excellent preparation for being in control of all your own finances. ;)

#25 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

I have emailed my ex history teacher, thanks

Yes, they're giving me practice in loading the dishwasher now too :D

Would you recommend anywhere else for A Level history resources?

#26 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

I
Would you recommend anywhere else for A Level history resources?

On Russia? To be honest I don't know anything that's in the same league as Mr Tarr's materials. Some teachers do put materials for their A Level classes online but they are increasingly on school intranets and are password protected. I can ask around amongst my contacts if you like, but I suspect that you are just as well off with a few good A Level text books.

One trick that you might try is to do a Google search using the title of your course/Unit as the search term (enclose it in speech marks). What you mainly get are pages on school/college sites that just outline what they offer at A Level, but every now and then you strike lucky and find class notes etc etc. You just need to be methodical and patient and sometimes you need to use a bit of initiative and explore links from the page you are looking at.

#27 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

Ok, thankyou :)

I would appreciate if you could ask - I'll do a Google search too, thanks :)

#28 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

I am asking as we speak. Could be a little while before I can collate all/any replies though so do keep checking back.

#29 oilcan

oilcan
  • Student
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

Sure, thankyou :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users