• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Imagination rules the world-N.B

Imagination rules the world-N.B
  • Student
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Writing........

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

Alfred von Schlieffen produced this plan because Germany saw war with Russia coming but why?
Von Schlieffen suggested invading France through Belgium,Holland and Luxembourg.Why did he chose those countries?However Von Molkte suggested invading France only through Luxembourg and Belgium .I didn't understand that too? :(

#17 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

Alfred von Schlieffen produced this plan because Germany saw war with Russia coming but why?

Do you mean why did the Germans expect a war against Russia?? That's largely to do with Russia's agreement to support France (Germany's enemy) in any war and their enmity towards Germany's ally, Austria-Hungary. Plus the Germans always had a long term intention to expand eastwards to create a 'Greater Germany' and this would inevitably bring them into conflict with Russia.

OR do you mean why did v. Schlieffen make a plan?? If so, then any German military considerations needed to take into account the fact that they had enemies to the west (France) and to the east (Russia). The plan was designed to knock France out first before turning east to face the Russians - who, it was assumed, would be slow to mobilise. (The assumption was wrong)

Von Schlieffen suggested invading France through Belgium,Holland and Luxembourg.Why did he chose those countries?However Von Molkte suggested invading France only through Luxembourg and Belgium .I didn't understand that too? :(

v. Schieffen's plan was designed to deliver a 'right hook' (look at a map) against France and take them by surprise. The obvious route to attack France was over the border they shared with Germany, but this had been heavily defended ever since the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-'71. The Prussians/Germans had attacked that way then - and had defeated France.

v. Moltke's suggested route involved using fewer forces in the west than v. Schlieffen's plan. The disagreement between these two strategists all turned on differences of opinion about what Russia would do and how fast they would be able to do it when war broke out.

Is that sufficient help?

You can research further by using this link:

http://en.wikipedia....Schlieffen_plan

NB It helps a lot to look at a map of Europe when you are struggling to understand this sort of thing. ;)

#18 Imagination rules the world-N.B

Imagination rules the world-N.B
  • Student
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Writing........

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thank you very much

#19 England-1966

England-1966
  • Student
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

What was the Schlieffen Plan?

Can anyone help please

Thanks

#20 Mr Moorhouse

Mr Moorhouse
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

Try this google search which returns a lot of very useful sites about the plan. if you're stuck once you've read a few of these pages, let us know which bits are troubling you.

#21 MAZ 78

MAZ 78
  • Student
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hello
Explain how the Schlieffen Plan was meant to work? can you give it to me step by step and explain it.
thankyou for your help
MAZ 78 :)

#22 Mr_Stacey

Mr_Stacey
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

Hi Maz,

Mr Clare has already answered a similar question from you here. I'm assuming you need more information.

I did a quick forum search using the word 'Schlieffen' and found this thread that gives some more detail. I hope it will help.

#23 apples

apples
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

I have the same question as 'MAZ', and it's really hard to understand. Any help?

#24 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• 1,391 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

Well, initially follow the advice that has been given above - use the links where the question has been answered. If you need more specific help please post again :)

#25 apples

apples
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

its ok, i just wrote about everything i could think of, i hope thats ok :/
thank you :)

#26 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm a bit confused about the Schlieffen Plan. I understand it was a plan to help Germany win WWI quickly, but how was it supposed to work and why did it fail?

There is more information about the Schlieffen Plan, including primary sources, in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users