Russian Revolution: Information And Russia In 1900

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hell_x

Hell_x
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:36 PM

Hello!! I have just started the GCSE history course, and we are learning about the Russian Revolution, do you know any websites which can tell me about it??? And we are also finding out about what Russia was like in 1900, do you know anything about society and culture in Russia 1900? Thankyou very much x :) x :) x

#2 Mrs Faithorn

Mrs Faithorn
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 07:16 PM

Hello Hell_x,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you will enjoy your GCSE History course.

There are some excellent websites on Russia available for GCSE. One of the best is Mr Clare's school History site. The pages on Russia are here. You'll find the whole of the Russia topic covered (not just the Revolution) here and the first page is quite useful for understanding what Russia was like in 1900.

As you'll see (on the right of the page mentioned above) there is also a list of links to other sites. One of the most useful for GCSE level information is The Learning Site section on Russia. The Spartacus site is also extremely useful and thorough and has a page on Russia in 1900that should help.

This should be enough to give you a start, but if you have more specific questions do post again.

PS. I am sure you are far too sensible, but you won't just cut and paste information from these sites and try to pretend it is your own work will you? B)

#3 Hell_x

Hell_x
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:22 PM

Hello! I am year 10 and we have to write an essay about how important WWI was in the downfall of the Tsar. I think that WWI was quite important in causing the downfall of the Tsar, how ever I think that his downfall would have happened due to other events that took place anyway, but not as soon as it did. We also have to say how the War compared to other factors. In my essay I would like to say about.....

* All the events that took place for Russian during WWI.
*Other events that took place(and details) that are also responsible for the downfall of the Tsar.
*Comparing all the different factors.
*Links between the different factors.

I am having problems working out how to structure the essay and I don't know weather all these points are necessary or what order they need to be put into.

The main factors I have, by the way, are-
-Government decisions(Duma etc).
-Word War I(badly run etc).
-Culteral divisions.
-Econimic backwards.
-Autocracy(weak?)

Sorry this is quite long, Thank you very much for you help!
Love Micky xxx :)

#4 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 09:27 AM

how important WWI was in the downfall of the Tsar.

I think that WWI was quite important in causing the downfall of the Tsar, how ever I think that his downfall would have happened due to other events that took place anyway, but not as soon as it did.

We also have to say how the War compared to other factors. In my essay I would like to say about.....

* All the events that took place for Russian during WWI.
*Other events that took place(and details) that are also responsible for the downfall of the Tsar.
*Comparing all the different factors.
*Links between the different factors.

Having problems working out how to structure the essay and I don't know weather all these points are necessary or what order they need to be put into:

-Culteral divisions.
-Econimic backwards.
-Autocracy(weak?)

You seem to have the right idea on writing your essay!

In your introduction: Write a brief summary of what you are going to be arguing. You could also write what you believe in the introduction: I think that WWI was quite important in causing the downfall of the Tsar, how ever I think that his downfall would have happened due to other events that took place anyway, but not as soon as it did. Then argue you essay on this line.

As you are writing about the Tsar start with Tsar:
I've ordered them how I would tackle the question:
-Autocracy(weak?)
-Econimic backwards.
-Cultural divisions.

Remember to link all the main factors to the question and too each other.

In your conclusion summarise your argument and include your: I think that WWI was quite important in causing the downfall of the Tsar, how ever I think that his downfall would have happened due to other events that took place anyway, but not as soon as it did.

Another research link for you:
Russian Revolution

Good luck with your essay, you seem to be very good at structuring essays anyway! Nothing to worry about! ;)

Tips - What makes a good essay?

"A stranger should be able to read any paragraph of your essay and then have a pretty good guess at what the essay question was. If this is not possible then you have waffled."

"A good essay sticks directly to the exact question asked without answering what you would like the question to have been!"

"A good essay tackles one idea for answering the question in each of its paragraphs."

"A good essay has an introduction that acts like a road map to the rest of the answer so the examiner knows what to expect on the journey"

"A good essay contains no surprise information in the conclusion that was not in the main body of the essay"

"A good essay is written with a solid sense of overview of the topic"

"A good essay is analytical and not narrative."

"A good essay should not be repetitive."

"The best essays are the ones completed with plenty of time to spare."

'A good essay is like a good beef burger'

"It is quality not quantity that makes a good essay."

"State your opinion in the opening paragraph and make sure that you argue the same opinion throughout the essay."

"It never hurts to write an essay plan before you start your essay."

"Always read plenty of textbooks, you can never have too many opinions before you start writing."

#5 Hell_x

Hell_x
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:27 PM

Thankyou very very much, that has helped me alot :)
So is writing all the information about the events that happened in WWI unecessary?
Or should I write it all in the paragraph about WWI?
But i have alot more information about the events in WWI than the other factors and so I don't know wether it will all be needed.

Thanks! :D

#6 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 03:29 PM

So is writing all the information about the events that happened in WWI unecessary?
Or should I write it all in the paragraph about WWI?

You need to look at the question: If the question is how important WWI was in the downfall of the Tsar? then yes, information about WWI and the events (from WWI) that led to the downfall need to be in your assignment.

Remember you are looking for how important the WWI was to his downfall and looking at other factors that led to his downfall, then you need to decide if the WWI was the most important or perhaps the final nail in his coffin?

#7 Hell_x

Hell_x
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:13 PM

Hi! Just thought I would say that i got an A* for my essay! yay :lol: Thankyou very much!!!!!

#8 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• 1,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:40 PM

Excellent result - well done. B)

#9 Autumn

Autumn
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:55 PM

Hi guys. I have a project on the russian revolution in for monday and i need info. Does anyone know where i can find some decent info on it. From this webbie and others.
Please help.

#10 Mr R Drew

Mr R Drew
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

there is a lot of in depth information on this period in Russian history on the Spartacus site

and briefer information, an online simulation and a quiz on the SchoolsHistory site

hope these are helpful

(p.s. i hope you are good at working fast, you'll need to be to be finished by monday!!!)

#11 smarty

smarty
  • Student
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hello sir can i come to know about russian revolution of 1917 and its relation with french revolution

#12 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

For the Russian Revolution:

This is a basic, detailed narrative account.

My website will give you all you need to know up to GCSE level,
and the HistoryLearning site will take you up to A-level level.

To go deeper still, either follow the links on the pages on my website, or why not google
Russian revolution
and follow the links.

As for similarities between the Russian and the French Revolutions, this yahoo answer is a really good essay which will give you some ideas.

You might like also to see if you can see any similarities between their courses.
  • Most revolutions start with poverty and with oppression (a tyrannical regime).
  • They need the government to be weak/weakened
  • They are usually provoked by some event which is the 'last straw'
  • They start with a middle-class rebellion - people wanting reasonable, small-scale reforms.
  • But once the authority of the regime has been broken they rapidly descend into chaos and the extremists take over.
  • This is then followed by a time of Terror.
  • And eventually the thing goes round full circle and a dictator takes over power.
See if you cam fit the French and Russian Revolutions into this model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users