• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 queen-sam

queen-sam
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hey there! :D
I need help to find out what diferent political parties thought and said about the disadvantages the catholic comunity faced during the Troubles. I have searched the web but i always end up on the political parties' official website which doesn't give me much help! <_< this is a coursework question so I would just like to know if you happen to have any websites that would help me.
thanks a lot :)

#2 Mr_Stacey

Mr_Stacey
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I don't know of any links myself as I don't teach the topic, and a quick web search hasn't produced anything of much help.

I have posted a message on the teachers forum to ask someone who does teach the subject to come and give you some help. In the mean time, have you checked with your teacher if there are any websites or books that they recommend?

#3 Mr Moorhouse

Mr Moorhouse
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:43 AM

There's a bit of background to it on this page.

Gerrymandering - this is aimed at teachers but you might find it useful. The diagrams in this lesson plan show how the electoral boundaries were manipulated and aim to develop an understanding of why people were angry about this. It's really designed to be done as a session with a whole class but I think you should get the gist of it.

You could do with reading about NICRA. This page on wikipedia covers its history, aims and objectives.

For a detailed account of the issues, try this site.

This google search returned many useful results.

Remember to cite these in your coursework and to acknowledge the use of the forum in your bibliography.

Thanks also for your politeness when asking. Hope this has been of use.

#4 queen-sam

queen-sam
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thank you very much for the information, it has been very helpful. :D

#5 historylearner

historylearner
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi,
I am doing my History GCSE coursework on Northern Ireland and require some help please!
There are three questions:
1)Describe the disadvangtanges faced by the Catholics in Northern Irealnd in the mid-1960s (15)
2)How did Protestant politicians explain the social, economic and political differences between Catholics and Protestants? (15)
3)Why were the British troops sent to Northern Ireland in August 1969? (20)

I have answered these questions already, however i just require some more information and guides lines on what i should be looking to add.

Thanks in advance :)

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

The problem with requests like this, historylearner, is that while we'd LOVE to tell you what we think, we are really constrained not to help you with coursework, because the exam regulations state that it must be your own work.

Certainly, you MUST cite any help you get here in the credits/bibliography at the end of your essay.
And, whereas teachers might well help you clear up any final details/ questions you might have, I suspect you will find that no one is prepared just to wade in and give you advice on the original questions, as you have posted up here.

Sorry if this seems mean, and best of luck with your essays.
In the meantime, why don;t go go and chat with your teacher, who IS able to give you reasonable help and advice, such as he would give any pupil.

I think I can tell you that there are web-based materials on Northern Ireland at: BBC Bitesize

#7 MightyMeanie

MightyMeanie
  • Student
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:History in general ranging from early civilisations to the present day. I especially enjoy weird history facts. I also like Art and Photography.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hello...
I'm in a bit in a ruck as I'm trying to finish off my northern Ireland c. 1960s coursework, however my teacher didn''t buy any school books for this topic giving us only sheets of paper here and there with info on. I'm stugglling to answer the question "how did protestant politicians exaplin the social, econoic and political differences between catholic and protestant?" as I have only one source which could explain this and thats from Lord Brookeborough. How can I find more sources for this... who should I look up as I don't know who the politicians of Nothern Ireland in the 60s were.

Would appreciate any assistance, thanks :) xx

#8 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I'll check on the Teacher forum for you.

#9 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

A traditional Unionist/Orange view orf Catholics:

Fear of committing supposed sins ... unhappy marriages arising from the inferior position given to women ... and many other social and personal handicaps, seem to make citizens of the Irish Republic unhappy and inadequate.
A major evidence of this is the extent to which citizens of the Republic seek to drown their sorrows in alcohol...
Many of us Ulster Protestants regard the Irish Republic as a very sick country ... the irish epublic is the place of origin of many extremists, people unable to settle down to any form of stable, public-spirited and responsible living.'
Rev W Martyn Smith, Sectarianism - Roads to Reconciliation (1974)

Mellowing of Protestant opinion in the 1960s, just prior to Civil Liberties:

If you give Roman Catholics a good job and a good house they will live like Protestants because they will see neighbours with cars and television sets. They will refuse to have 18 children. But if the Roman Catholic is jobless and lives in a most ghastly hovel, he will rear 18 cildren on National Assistance ... If you treat Roman Catholics with die consideration and kindness they will live like Protestants in spite of the authoritative nature of their religion.
Prime Minister Terence O'Neill, speaking on the radio in May 1969.

And the view from the other side of the fence...
An Irish Nationalist speaks:

The unemployment in our bones
Erupting in our hands in stones
The thoughts of violence a relief
The act of violence a grief.
Our bitterness and love,
Hand in glove.
Seamus Deane: Derry (1974)

and again:

We were never taught to hate Protestants. Rather we were taught to accept that it was fir the best that we did not know them. [When taunted], we told one another to 'just ignore them'.
Eamonn McCann, War and an Irish Town (1974)

#10 meganh05

meganh05
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi
i need some help with my history course work,the question is
Why is lasting peace so difficult to achieve in northern ireland??????
im not sure how to start it,could you help me!!!!!

#11 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi
i need some help with my history course work,the question is
Why is lasting peace so difficult to achieve in northern ireland??????
im not sure how to start it,could you help me!!!!!

Don;t forget to say please, Megan - everybody does on this forum.

This is a VERY difficult question.
If you can understand it, this chapter gives an excelent explanation of why peace in Northern Ireland was so hard to find.

This is a very good summary of the historical background, but you will have to infer the reasons why peace was prevented by yourself.

This document is very detailed and difficult, but if you read the second half on 'the current situation' and esepcially the last section on 'disputed issues' it will give you a lot of ideas.

#12 Luce2012

Luce2012
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi, please can anyone help me how to start (introduction) a pratcise essay on Northern Ireland. The question is based on how the events of the 1960's and 1970's have influenced Northern Ireland. Thank you in advance :)

#13 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

Introductions are tricky aren't they? What you say depends to some extent on exactly what the question is, but the most important factor is what your answer is going to be. In other words, if the question was something like 'How far is today's Northern Ireland influenced by events from 1969-1979', your introduction might begin something like this:

'There are many factors which have influenced Northern Ireland including Ireland's history from at least the 1600s, economic factors and the recent peace process. However, in my view the most important influence has been the events of the decade from 1969.'

Or;
'Although the events of the decade from 1969 are important in influencing Northern Ireland today, they are only a part of the historical influence which began in the 16th century and has carried on until the present day.'

So, what I am trying to say is that a good introduction needs to show that you are clear which way your essay is going, that you are aware that there are a variety of factors to consider and that you have already chosen one factor as more important than the others. Don't make it too long, save that for your analytical argument.

Hope that this helps: let us know if you have any other questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users