Characteristics Of World War One

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris.H.

Chris.H.
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'm currently taking an enriched English-History class. Our project this term is to create a portrait of World War One through poetry. We have choose certain aspects of world war one that characterized it, made it different from all preceding wars. I'm having a bit of trouble finding characteristics of World War one on Google, most searchs return World War Two results.

Here are the aspects that I currently have:

- Chemical warfare
- War in air and sea
- Use of artillery
- Trench Warfare
- The devastating number of casualties

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me find more :blush: . I'm having a lot of trouble finding poetry on Chemical warfare and war in air, so I need more aspects.

Thanks!

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

... I'm having a lot of trouble finding poetry on Chemical warfare...

Dulce et Decorum Est

... I'm having a bit of trouble finding characteristics of World War one...

I would work back the other way.
Start with the poems, see what aspects of the war they deal with, and make your list from there.
Then, for your essay, turn the list around, start off describing the 'characteristics of war' you have 'found from your study of the war' and - lo and behold - there they are 'mirrored' in the poetry.

Actually, this is a lousy way to do history, beause you just end up proving your sources' prejudices!
I have a theory that the soldiers' reaction to the war at the time wasn't very bad AT ALL considering the circumstances, and that the poets - by definition rather emotional and impressible people - are not at all representative of the 'normal' soldier.
You will find that most soldiers' condemnations of the war and the generals came AFTER they had got home and had time to be propagandised by the poets and the politicians.

However, this is something I would look into AFTER I had bashed out a straightforward war-mirrored-in-the-poetry essay in the way I described above.

Have you got plenty of war poems to go on??

#3 Chris.H.

Chris.H.
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

Dulce et Decorum Est

That's the only one I've found. The teacher said that we needed an average of 4 poems per aspect, which I can't seem to find for Chemical Warfare.

I would work back the other way.
Start with the poems, see what aspects of the war they deal with, and make your list from there.
Then, for your essay, turn the list around, start off describing the 'characteristics of war' you have 'found from your study of the war' and - lo and behold - there they are 'mirrored' in the poetry.

I'll try that, but the problem is that I can't find anyway to link them together; I find poetry quite complicated and can't always understand what they really mean. Thus having certain aspects to look out for would help a lot.

Have you got plenty of war poems to go on??

I've read around 80ish poems. The problem is that most poems are about how a large number of people died, how war was cruel, etc. and not characteristics of World War One, more like a representations of War in general.

Thanks for replying!

#4 Dr Dennis

Dr Dennis
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

Try this link: http://www.english.e...oets/index.html

Also, try this one: http://aspirations.e...e/gcse/ww1.acds

There is a link to 'A Level' resources on the page that may be useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users