• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sonz101

sonz101
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

hey...im not sure what im doing :blink: ...i hope im using this right

neyways i was just wondering if you could please help me or give me some direction as to how to answer this question?

The following were equally important reasons why the stalemate on the Western Front was finally broken:
New technology like the tank.
The American entry into the war.
The blockading of German ports.
The German offensive in March 1918.
Explain how far agree with this statement.

i don't need help in detail...im just not sure where to look..i have tried but nothing much comes up :unsure:

anyways thanks :)

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

What this question is doing is that it gives your FOUR reasons why Germany lost WWI.
It simply asks you to identify which was/were the most imortant.

Remember how you do essays like this:
First, you DESCRIBE the factor
Next you EXPLAIN how it worked to win the war
Finally, you ASSESS how important it was in winning the war.

I agree with you that it is very dificult to get information about this part of the war. Books and websites are very good at explaining why WWI broke out, but they are hopless on why the allies won it.
All you can do is to find out individually from the following sites about each of your four factors, and then do the expaining and assessing bits for yourself.

Try these sites:
BBC site
History Learning site
ought to give you enough facts to write your essay.

#3 sonz101

sonz101
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

thanks!! hopefully il finally get this done! :rolleyes:

thanks again! :)

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:36 PM

A pleasure.
I am dying to tell you what I believe, but I will bite my tongue and let you sort it out yourself!!

Hints:
Find out details of tank breakdowns in different battles.
And find out how many Americans finally made it to the fighting - and what date they started appearing.
That'll give you ammunition to assess the importance of those factors.

As to the relative importance of the blockade and the failed German push of 1918, you'll have to decide which was more important in securing the Armistice - evets inside Germany, or events on the Front.
Clue: WHO decided to make the Armistice?

Best of luck with the essay...

#5 leonie

leonie
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

MrJohnDClare... thankyou im doing this essay and this advice has really helped me a lot!

#6 Katie

Katie
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

I'm doing this essay right now as part of my gcse coursework and i've been doing reasonably well on most points except the american entry into the war which has really stressed me out, reading your tips has really helped me overcome my problems and i thank you very much because i think i am heading in the right direction now! Cheers :D

#7 aquarius17

aquarius17
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

hello; i was just wondering what you actually got for your answer?
because i'm stuckin on the the american entry into the war & the blockading of german ports :huh:
so would you be able to offer any advice?

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

hello; i was just wondering what you actually got for your answer?
because i'm stuckin on the the american entry into the war & the blockading of german ports :huh:
so would you be able to offer any advice?

On America try this: http://www.worldwar1...bc/salsresp.htm

The blockade reducedthe German population to starvation and rioting, but it also provoked Germany to introduce unrestricted submarine warfare in retaliation - which was hat brought America into the war!

#9 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

On America try this: http://www.worldwar1...bc/salsresp.htm

Just a caveat (warning) on the article that Mr. Clare has cited. The piece is described as an 'Opinion Statement' and is designed as a reply to recent (in 1999 when it was written) charges by some non-American historians that the American contribution was 'minimal'. In my opinion, while putting the American point of view very well it goes a little beyond objective history. I could point out one or two areas which are debateable, but I think I have said enough for now.

So, if you read this article, please bear in mind the purpose for which it it written.

It would also be worth doing a forum search on 'stalemate', perhaps starting with this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users