Liberal Governments 1906 (ish)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 peachykeen

peachykeen
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

a) What were the social and industrial challenges facing the Liberal governments in the years to 1914?

In terms of social, I've talked about the widespread poverty etc. And then for industrial challenges I've talked about the wide industrial unrest and gone into detail about that. I've already submitted the essay, but for revision purposes I'm wondering what the best thing would be to write if I got such a question in the exam.

Could the threat from the Labour Party be considered a social challenge? Because it started with the unions joining and general unrest and dissatisfaction with their representation?

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it!

#2 Mr_Stacey

Mr_Stacey
  • Moderating Teacher
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

I put the title into google on the offchance and got the following hits!

A previous Edexcel question paper including that question, and some sources relating to it

The examiners comments on that paper. I've copied and pasted the relevant bits below for you, I hope it helps. Don't forget, you teacher at school is still the best person to check over revision notes like this!

This question asked candidates to focus on the social and industrial challenges facing the Liberal governments, not just when they first took office, but throughout the years up to the outbreak of war in 1914. Whilst most candidates appreciated that developing and changing challenges had to be considered, a significant minority persisted in writing about the ways in which those challenges were met. Still more candidates found problems in defining ‘social’ and ‘industrial’ and discussed every possible challenge to the Liberal governments coming from any direction. Not only did these candidates waste precious time, but their responses demonstrated considerable loss of focus and, no matter how accurate, could not score highly. The majority of candidates, however, used the sources and their own knowledge to provide a wide variety of responses. Source 1 was used to address the social challenges of poverty and the potential challenge of the Labour Party, Source 2 to develop the challenge posed by women’s suffrage and Source 3 as a starting point to begin to consider the challenge of industrial unrest and labour interests. Better candidates appreciated that the challenges changed in the years to 1914 and used their own knowledge to demonstrate this. Many of the higher level responses, for example, pointed to the Liberal government’s neglect of labour interests leading to the industrial crisis around 1911; others to Asquith’s refusal to contemplate female suffrage despite the Conciliation bills leading to increased militancy by the WSPU. There were several developed, supported judgements, scoring full marks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users